Any advice on aftermarket EFI {600hp}?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27762
Any advice on aftermarket EFI {600hp}??

I've been looking into EFI for my monster truck and before I spend 2500$ I would like to see if anyone else has used some of the aftermarket EFI, like Edelbrock,Accel, Holley,Force or something else, I've kinda had my eye on that new Edelbrock Victor setup, my motor runs a solid roller with 242 dur at .050 and 12.5 to 1 comp. so I doubt factory EFI could be modified to run it , any input would be helpful. I know some other people run bbc on here , what do you have on yours??
millerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 10974
I have the Accel DFI gen 7 on a 406 sbc, around 500 hp. I know it is expensive, but it works great. I had a factory TBI on a similiar motor, with a custom prom. It never did work like I wanted.
toploader4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 27762
Quote:
Originally Posted by toploader4x4
I have the Accel DFI gen 7 on a 406 sbc, around 500 hp. I know it is expensive, but it works great. I had a factory TBI on a similiar motor, with a custom prom. It never did work like I wanted.
How long have you been running the Accel , was the programming very difficult??

Old 07-30-2006, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2082
Send a message via AIM to TPIJeep
I also run the Accel Gen 7 DFI at 511 hp with a Holley Stealth Ram intake, programming is not that hard and Accel has a web link setup now to assist you in programming issues.. I have had the Gen 7 for at least 3 years..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Southern Motor Sports
Ruston, Louisiana
TPIJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10974
I have been running it a couple of years. It is fairly easy to program. You have to input all the engine info into the program. It will come with a base program that will be fairly close after you have all the specs in. The options that are available in the program are mind boggling. I have not played with all the bells and whistles of the program. The motor runs great, I am happy, so I've left it alone. BTW leaded racing fuel will not kill the O2 sensor.
toploader4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 27762
Thanks guys, for the input, I've been wondering about the durability of the ecm's, I'd say 3 years is tested.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 57757
Theres quite a few people I know that use Megasquirt EFI with excellent results and tunability
93Blazer4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 27762
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Blazer4x4
Theres quite a few people I know that use Megasquirt EFI with excellent results and tunability
I looked on Megasquirt web site, I beleive thats over my head, but thats interesting, I've never heard of it before.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2082
Send a message via AIM to TPIJeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by toploader4x4
BTW leaded racing fuel will not kill the O2 sensor.
What sensor are you running? I have the WideBand 02 700 dollars worth, I would love a little extra octane for those 6000 rpm runs, I still get a little pinging when its nice and hot. It would be nice to run a 50/50 mix..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Southern Motor Sports
Ruston, Louisiana
TPIJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
I'm getting feedback from customers that our kits are sustaining 500+ hp.
I hope it's not b.s. but I'd also think they would complain if it couldn't do the job. I think 500 is the limit though. Some claim way more but......

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

Check us out on Facebook
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
MC
Nose to grindstone

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
You can try a Edelbrock with the higher lb injectors. I believe 36lbs was the option for their MPEFI. Its a really killer setup! (If you go the gas route)

I have heard of and seen 500+ on propane...not sure of the setup however.

The finest CNC plasma tables
Made in the USA by Bulltear and can be found online at
and at local welding stores
Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics
We also make parts for AMC

MC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Edlebrocks Pro-Flo's are good for more than 450hp (advertised max) with new injectors and a custom burned chip. If you go this path call the efi tech line at Edelbrock before you buy anything.

The new Victor EFI stuff has way more horse power capability, but it is much more of a custom built system. Again call first.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 11:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 24704
I would try propane, especially at that C/R.
Tim84K10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in