What Type Intake Manifold is Best For Propane? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2006, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27645
What Type Intake Manifold is Best For Propane?

I have a mildly warm Ford 400, I don't know what the cr is, I don't know the cam specs are.

I am converting it to propane and using an IMPCO 425. I have the choice of the stock 2bbl manifold, an Edelbrock SP2P small port 2bbl, an Edelbrock SP2P 4bbl or an Edelbrock Performer 4bbl.

Does propane like velocity or volume?

What is the point of the throttle plate under the mixer?

Couldn't find any of this in 'SEARCH'
Old 08-28-2006, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XFORD
You need some way to control the throttle...there's no throttle control on the mixer itself. You have to use some kind of base plate.
numtel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm back and watchin

Member # 43607
Quote:
I have a mildly warm Ford 400, I don't know what the cr is, I don't know the cam specs are.

I am converting it to propane and using an IMPCO 425. I have the choice of the stock 2bbl manifold, an Edelbrock SP2P small port 2bbl, an Edelbrock SP2P 4bbl or an Edelbrock Performer 4bbl.

Does propane like velocity or volume?

Couldn't find any of this in 'SEARCH'
I can lend what I believe then others will follow, maybe. an Impco 425 is plenty for a 460 so it will run a 400sb.

Propane doesn't seem to care about volume or velocity.IMHO. It is already a gas and mixes well so these two concerns seem invalid. The point I do believe to be relevant to performance is 2 or 4 bbl. Bottom end grunt of a 2bbl or highend ponies of a 4bbl? I think this remains the same for gasoline or propane. It is relative to air consumption, not mixability of the fuel/air.

I believe the things Propane "likes" are timing, compression, and boost.

The throttle plate is about the same, in effect, as a throttle body on an injection system, with out the computer. The butterflies, again, only regulate flow or vacuum. They are only neccessary to control the throttle!

Study up! Lots of info out on the net and it is relatively easy to understand.

Good luck Brotha,
Easy Rick.
KOH racer #554

Huge thanks to our partners:

Trick Toys Fabrication, NITTO Tires, Longfield Super Joints, PSC steering components, Brian Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Easy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
Originally Posted by numtel
You need some way to control the throttle...there's no throttle control on the mixer itself. You have to use some kind of base plate.
OK, that makes sense.

I have 2 IMPCO 425s. both came from the local Pic-N-Pulverize. I took one off what looks to have been a recently running truck. Now that I look at it I see it has 2bbl throttle plate on it with one oblong shaped butterfly.

The other was disconnected from the intake and a MC 2150 was bolted on. This one does not have a throttle plate, instead it is a large cast alminium bowl looking thing, like you could connect a 4" hose to. What is this for?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rick
Propane doesn't seem to care about volume or velocity.IMHO. It is already a gas and mixes well so these two concerns seem invalid. The point I do believe to be relevant to performance is 2 or 4 bbl. Bottom end grunt of a 2bbl or highend ponies of a 4bbl? I think this remains the same for gasoline or propane. It is relative to air consumption, not mixability of the fuel/air.

I believe the things Propane "likes" are timing, compression, and boost.

The throttle plate is about the same, in effect, as a throttle body on an injection system, with out the computer. The butterflies, again, only regulate flow or vacuum. They are only neccessary to control the throttle!

Then for a 6klb trail truck that has to get to and from the trail on the highway and might see some sand at the beach or desert the 4bbl Performer might be the way to go?

For a 4bbl. throttle plate, are there any other choices besides Holley and Proform?

Thanks for the advice, the more I learn about propane the better it sounds.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
OX

Member # 3113
Quote:
Then for a 6klb trail truck that has to get to and from the trail on the highway and might see some sand at the beach or desert the 4bbl Performer might be the way to go?

For a 4bbl. throttle plate, are there any other choices besides Holley and Proform?

Thanks for the advice, the more I learn about propane the better it sounds.
My 400 runs fine (low end and upstairs) with an edebr performer, mild cam and stock exh. Got my kit from gotpropane.

Last edited by OX; 08-29-2006 at 03:07 PM.
OX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX
My 400 runs fine (low end and upstairs) with an edebr performer, mild cam and stock exh. Got my kit from gotpropane.
Thanks OX, it sound like your setup is similar to mine. What throttle plate are you running?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 31735
Quote:
The other was disconnected from the intake and a MC 2150 was bolted on. This one does not have a throttle plate, instead it is a large cast alminium bowl looking thing, like you could connect a 4" hose to. What is this for?
It's for running dual fuel. That's how mine is set up. You run it where the air cleaner goes on your carburetor. This is how it's set up on my truck.
Attached Images

numtel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
Originally Posted by numtel
It's for running dual fuel. That's how mine is set up. You run it where the air cleaner goes on your carburetor. This is how it's set up on my truck.

Yup, that's it more or less. Some info I recently found suggest you should try to get cooler outside air, as every 10* drop is worth 1% in power.

Is there a power loss from running propane through the mixer then the carb as opposed to just the mixer?
Old 11-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 14455
Where did you get that elbow that mounts to your carb and mixer? I need one? Is there a part number on it anywhere?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 457930
I know this is an old thread but...

I spoke to Cary from Gotpropane.com not too long ago and asked him about running an Impco 425 on a dual plane vs. a single plane intake. I asked him which one was better and he said that due to the nature of propane and how well it mixes with air in the mixer that it doesn't matter. He said with a single plane intake the engine will still idle fine and operate the same as it would with a dual plane intake so I went with the single plane (due to looks).

Holley makes multiple throttle base plates that work with the Impco 425, you're supposed to use a 1450 style (manual secondaries) vs. the 1460 vacuum secondary. You can convert the vacuum secondary base plate to manual but if you're buying new then the obvious choice would be a 1450 style plate.

Holley, Proform and Quick Fuel all make a 1450 styl plate. I chose the Proform one, mainly because it was billet aluminum vs. cast. I'm pretty sure Quick Fuel's version is billet also and it is anodized red.

With the Holley brand base plates you have to dig up some info on them... some have a hole drilled dead center in the plate and it has to be blocked off to prevent vacuum leaks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 211442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XFORD View Post
Yup, that's it more or less. Some info I recently found suggest you should try to get cooler outside air, as every 10* drop is worth 1% in power.

Is there a power loss from running propane through the mixer then the carb as opposed to just the mixer?
Yes there is some loss due to the extra obstructions in the air flow slowing it down but the main loss would be if the timing is not set properly for propane. On a bi-fuel engine the two fuels require totally different timing curves so if it is set up for gasoline it will not run efficiently on propane and the same if the opposite. I didn't notice if you had any timing module to alter the timing in the photos but if you need one we have them. When switched to propane it will change the timing for better performance on propane. So you get the best of both fuels.

altfuel1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 131867
Will a timing module work with a HEI ignition?
OldsWillem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
are you trying to run dual fuel? if so you can use that bandaid
the chevy HEI is more work to convert for propane as it doesnt have an advance stop.
the duraspark stuff is better IMO, I wouldnt run a chevy ignition )
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
magic trick is to use the 5 pin gm module. When the 5th pin gets power it retards the ignition 7 degrees. GM's cure for the hard start problem on an 80 olds Torino. Can also be used for turbo/supercharging.

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

Check us out on Facebook
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 86797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
magic trick is to use the 5 pin gm module. When the 5th pin gets power it retards the ignition 7 degrees. GM's cure for the hard start problem on an 80 olds Torino. Can also be used for turbo/supercharging.
ooh, I never knew that. Nice trick!
1983 CJ-8 "Gossamer" FULLY POLISHED LS1, TH-400, Atlas 3.8:1 32 spline, 4" 0.375 wall driveshafts, Avalanche Titan axles, 2 1/2 ton third members, CTM axle shafts and Ujoints, ARB's, 15k Warn, Onboard welder and CO2, Halon and Coldfire extinguishers. CB, HF, PA, Sirens, Etc.
Threadkiller
thordehr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in