ARB install into a Rubicon housing - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4568
Send a message via AIM to YeeP
ARB install into a Rubicon housing

I did my best to search for this, and had no luck. Here is my problem.

As you can see, I am using factory rubicon carrier shims. I have listed my amount of shimmage to get to this point. What you cannot see here is that I have 0 shims under the pinion head. After the "application" of the pry bar, I get .010" of backlash.

I have tripple checked all of my part numbers, standard gears, carrier is for 3.92 and up. Bearing and race p/n have been confirmed multiple places. I have been told that the largest shim available from spicer is around .148". Can anyone confirm this, or tell me it is wrong.

Has anyone done this application? I know it is possible, I must just need a different shim kit for the carrier.

Here is an upclose pic.

Please dont tell me that I need to stack two of those thick shims........

EDIT: I have called ARB twice now, and been told to get Spicer p/n: 701174-2X..... no one can find this number, even Randy's Ring and Pinion. Also, I was told by another shop that I need a Spicer Shim kit with Jeep p/n: 70819063. Anyone know what the right kit p/n is?

Last edited by YeeP; 09-21-2006 at 03:14 PM.
YeeP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 39348
Send a message via AIM to under_psi
no you should not need 2 of those, but it definitely needs more shims...is that the master shim that came with the arb? and if i am not mistaken, there does not need to be a shim on the inside of the seal housing...at least i dont remember putting one on the inside of mine....
under_psi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4568
Problem solved....... (possibly)

Although I have not finished the install. After spending a hour or so on the phone with Terry at Randy's Ring and Pinion, I think we have solved this problem. At this point I wanted to put down some notes on what I plan on doing, so anyone that finds this thread on a search, may find some help.

According to Terry I need to stack the thick shims on the right side of the diff.
I ordered Spicer p/n: 708193. Terry told me that he has stacked these before without a problem. I will be applying red locktight to the carrier races to ensure they do not turn in the housing. For more exact shimming, I will use small shims behind the right side bearing, and the standard air collar shims in the air locker.

Terry also told me that you need to have at least .040" of shims behind the pinion head for the flow of fluid to work properly.

When I am done with the assembly I will post up pics and let everyone know what was required.

Last edited by YeeP; 09-22-2006 at 01:11 PM.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 19067
The Rubi housing are a bit wider due to the width of their locker. All you need is a couple Dana master shims to throw in on either side. Do not stack a bunch of thin shims in to make up the difference.

That number ARB gave you is good, it is a box with 2 thick mast shims in it. Tell the guys at Randy's to check their supercessions. It is just an older part number.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
MC
Nose to grindstone

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
I have a Rubi 44 that needed the thick shims as well

The finest CNC plasma tables
Made in the USA by Bulltear and can be found online at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and at local welding stores
Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics
We also make parts for AMC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Tim
The Rubi housing are a bit wider due to the width of their locker. All you need is a couple Dana master shims to throw in on either side. Do not stack a bunch of thin shims in to make up the difference.

That number ARB gave you is good, it is a box with 2 thick mast shims in it. Tell the guys at Randy's to check their supercessions. It is just an older part number.
I am not planning on stacking a bunch of thin shims. I said I would stack two of the thick shims.

Drive Train Industries, Randys Ring and Pinion and DC4WD, all said that part number was no good. The only shim kit I could find, with two shims in it, was one that covers the air collar shims on the air collar itself.

Is this the Tim at ARB? If so, I tried to call you back, and another guy that works there, that used to work with Terry at ARB. Told me that part number is no good.....?

Also he told me the pinion is offset on the Rubicon Dana 44, which is wrong.

I would love to see this shim kit.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37512
I just set one up for a buddy and off course the guy that sold him all the parts had no mention of needing more shims than came with the master install kit. Isn't that tipical. Luckily the shop I work at has collected shims for years and happened to have just what I needed, sorry no part # or help just wanted to vent.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 39348
Send a message via AIM to under_psi
if it makes any difference, i talked to a tech at ARB just a few weeks ago regarding the ARB install in my rubicon housing...i was replacing the seal housing and got to talking about the set up...

he said that there was NO difference in the rubicon housing and that the people who say there is don't know anybetter....i guess it is a myth....the newer designed 2pc. ARB has everything to do with the shim placement, and that it is not housing related....
under_psi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by under_psi
if it makes any difference, i talked to a tech at ARB just a few weeks ago regarding the ARB install in my rubicon housing...i was replacing the seal housing and got to talking about the set up...

he said that there was NO difference in the rubicon housing and that the people who say there is don't know anybetter....i guess it is a myth....the newer designed 2pc. ARB has everything to do with the shim placement, and that it is not housing related....
Who did you talk to? I'll call and give them a little retraining ..... Rubi housings are wider and you need to add a thick master shim on either side.

All diffs have everything to do with shim placement, but with the Rubi housings, they are wider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeep
Is this the Tim at ARB? If so, I tried to call you back, and another guy that works there, that used to work with Terry at ARB. Told me that part number is no good.....?
Well this is Tim who used to be with ARB... these days don't ring me at ARB, ring me at Wild West Off Road (360-264-5363). As far as talking tech with the guys from ARB, make sure you ask for the Tech Dept. that way you get the guys who are in the greasey stuff and know the little stuff. Most of the guys in the building know their tech pretty good, but there's ONE or two who think they know more than they do.

We originally got that number from DTS in Detriot, MI and have used it many times, but it is now a newer number, I'll see if I can find the new supercession number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeep
I am not planning on stacking a bunch of thin shims. I said I would stack two of the thick shims.
Yep, I read that, but I wanted to make sure other people see DO NOT STACK A BUNCH OF THIN SHIMS. As loose as most people install their diffs, a stack of thin shims is just inviting Mr. Murphy to make an appearance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in