Quality Q-Jet Vendor/rebuilders? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4554
Send a message via AIM to bluesman2a
Quality Q-Jet Vendor/rebuilders?

I'm looking to buy a Q-jet built to match my engine. Anybody have suggestions on who to look at for this? I'm not currently into rebuilding one, I'll learn that later, for now, just want to put one on I KNOW is right and will work.

Currently the two vendors I'm looking at (in order of preference) are:

1) http://www.smicarburetor.com/
2) http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?pid=23033

Any other vendors I should consider?
Any positive or negative feedback on either of these two?
Suggestions on features I should look for or stay away from?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31735
I got mine rebuilt at a local carb shop. It works great now. It did end up costing about as much as the qjets from smicarb though.
numtel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2006, 03:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 77697
I'd just learn how to "rebuild" them yourself. It's really not that hard, and it's inexpensive as hell. Get doug roe's book, its a great read. You can get an old junk q-jet for free or up to about $30 tops, then a parts kit is usually only about $40. Compare that to the $300-$500 some places charge for their "performance rebuilt" q-jets.

Generally most dont ever really need actually rebuilt, usually all they need is some adjustment and fine tuning for your application. I cant count how many times i hear idiots bash q-jets because they "rebuilt" them and just threw them on the engine without adjusting anything, expecting them to work. I've gotten some old junk q-jets from the junkyard twice, and all i did was just clean the gunk and dirt out of them, throw two new gaskets on them, and threw them on the engine, tuned it in a little and they worked great.
RJR99SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4554
Send a message via AIM to bluesman2a
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR99SS
I'd just learn how to "rebuild" them yourself. It's really not that hard, and it's inexpensive as hell. Get doug roe's book, its a great read. You can get an old junk q-jet for free or up to about $30 tops, then a parts kit is usually only about $40.

Generally most dont ever really need actually rebuilt, usually all they need is some adjustment and fine tuning for your application.
I'm more than happy to rebuild one, but the fine-tuning is where I get stuck, I'm more than happy to pay more for a solid baseline I can work from, then I can get a junkyard core as a spare and play with it.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 73066
if you can remove a tire and replace your brakes, you can rebuild your carb. the quadra is super easy to rebuild.

as far as tuning, even if you ask a shop to tune the carb for your combo, the best they will do is guess-ti-mate the correct jet sizes for your combo. the best way to get the most out of your quadra jet is to tune yourself with the help of a wide band O2 sensor.
bbwag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 31735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR99SS
Generally most dont ever really need actually rebuilt, usually all they need is some adjustment and fine tuning for your application. I cant count how many times i hear idiots bash q-jets because they "rebuilt" them and just threw them on the engine without adjusting anything, expecting them to work. I've gotten some old junk q-jets from the junkyard twice, and all i did was just clean the gunk and dirt out of them, throw two new gaskets on them, and threw them on the engine, tuned it in a little and they worked great.
That's what I did, a qjet from the jy for $25. It worked great for about 8 months and then one day the floats were sticking. I'm sure I could have done it myself but I wanted to know that it was going to work. Now I have a 1 year warranty on the carb and don't have to worry about it breaking.
numtel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 35307
If you want the best:
John Osborne email [email protected]
been a couple years since I spoke with him but he sets up quadrajets from concours style resto's to guys running there car's in the F.A.S.T series.
I've never heard a bad word ever said about his work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LCAC_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 77697
Quote:
Originally Posted by numtel
That's what I did, a qjet from the jy for $25. It worked great for about 8 months and then one day the floats were sticking. I'm sure I could have done it myself but I wanted to know that it was going to work. Now I have a 1 year warranty on the carb and don't have to worry about it breaking.
I dunno dude, a sticking float is a pretty damn simple problem to fix on a q-jet. I never get why people are so afraid of carburators, its amazing to me how much cash some people will pay just so they dont have to worry about some $5 dollar problem that'll pop up in a carb. Not bashing anyone, but you'd be amazed how easy it all is, just takes a little while and some practice to mess around with them, just like anything else. They're just a little box with few parts, nothing nearly as complicated as an engine or a transmission or anything, i always kind of think of them as some kind of little kid's toy i'm taking apart when i rip into one.
RJR99SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
i have a carb guy that specializes in quads. he is the BEST carb guy i have ever run into. he is houston based. he does do shipping, and support when its on the rig. if its local, he tunes it for you on the vehicle. he also runs it on an engine before sending it to you (dyno) to make sure its going to run correctly at all times. his "stage II" runs appox 300 bucks. worth every penny.

gun facts that will blow your mind:

Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 72734
I am not knocking jet in any way, but I called them up a few weeks ago looking for a q-jet, and all he could do was say "buy a holley truck avenger, it will better suit your application."

I said, I want a q-jet, not a holley. Can you help me out?

His answer, "No, you really should check out the holley."

I know they do good work, and I will end up rebuilding (with a little luck) my q-jet on my own.

Again, I am not knocking them, but I was willing to fork over good cash for a q-jet and they weren't going for it. Seemed an odd way of doing business. I had another junk q-jet, and tore it down without worrying about breaking/bending/losing anything, and it is incredibly simple inside. I have both books (Doug Roe, and The Ruggles guy) and they give some good pointers. I just wish they would spend a little more time on initial tuning (for dummies like me) and a little less on the full on high HP q-jet tuning.
irjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in