D60HD Rear Disks with 5/8" Lugs...what rotors???? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2002, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 39
D60HD Rear Disks with 5/8" Lugs...what rotors????

I just began tearing apart my rear HD D60 which has huge drums and 5/8" lug studs. The 3/4 ton Chevy rotors use a 9/16" stud and the 3/4 ton Ford rotors use a 1/2" stud. What is the best way to make these rotors work? Oversize the holes in the rotors? Are there any other rotors that will work with these big wheel studs?

What is the difference between the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford rotors? I know they have different offsets, but does anyone know what they are?
Old 05-07-2002, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 52
I say drill the damn holes out. The holes in the rear rotors on my 5 on 5.5" D60 are a bunch bigger than my studs, but the rotor is centered off a flange on the axle....
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2002, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 39
I guess another option is to chuck the stud in a lathe and turn down the "hat" on the end of the stud so it fits through the rotor.

Old 05-08-2002, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1160
Drill the rotors. Just converted my D70 with 5/8 studs to discs using 3/4 ton chebby rotors. Drill the rotors to 11/16", well thats what mine needed. Measure the stud and drill accordingly.

I set mine up like a front hub and rotor assembly, where the stud presses through the rotor an into the hub. It's not a slip over the hub / stud set up like most of the 5 on 5.5 kits are.
Bob Levenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2002, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4737
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric
I guess another option is to chuck the stud in a lathe and turn down the "hat" on the end of the stud so it fits through the rotor.
I used a grinder to take the hat off and it works fine on my hd 60 and we did the same on my budys dana 70. That was about 2 months ago and mine is a daily driver.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2643
Just grind the hat off or lathe it off. It only takes ten minutes. But be sure to use chevy roters.
TEAM X-TREME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2002, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 39
So are you guys running the 5/8" lugs on the rear and 9/16" on the front?

You wouldn't happen to have pics of the rear D60HD or D70 disks would you? Did you use weld on caliper brackets or a bolt on kit?

Why only use the Chevy rotors? What is wrong with the Ford or Dodge?
Old 05-09-2002, 04:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1160
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric
So are you guys running the 5/8" lugs on the rear and 9/16" on the front?
No converted the front Dodge D60 to 5/8 studds also.

Quote:
You wouldn't happen to have pics of the rear D60HD or D70 disks would you? Did you use weld on caliper brackets or a bolt on kit?
Sorry didn't get time to take pics while I was home on leave when I made these. I used 3/4 chebby D44 caliper stands. They slip over the spindle (with a little die grinder help to the i.d. of the stand). I made a bracket that I welded to the spindle and then bolted the chebby stands to that.

Quote:
Why only use the Chevy rotors? What is wrong with the Ford or Dodge?
Thats what I had, and they fit the back of the 70 hub. Meaning the opening of the chebby rotor matched the "index step" on the D70 hub.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 39
So to convert the front axle to 5/8" lugs, did you have to drill out the rotors as well? What about the hubs? Do you remember which lug studs you used or where you got them?
Old 05-09-2002, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1160
Both axles are out of an '83 Dodge W350 dually. I used the rear studs for the front conversion. Long story but to convert my front to a single wheel application I used Ford hubs and rotors. Didn't like the price of the Dodge application parts and the external bolt on hubs, anyway. (not a bolt on)

The rear studs for this application ('83 D70) are easy to deal with. The hub needs to be drilled to 5/8" and the rotor to 11/16". No goofy 32nds or 64th. Both of these dimension result in a good press fit of the stud in the hub and in the rotor. Be forwarned they are a touch long. 2" of thread past the wheel side of the hub's wheel flange. But then again you aren't going to fing "nice" chromy lug nuts for a 5/8ths stud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in