Battery in Rear - Junction Block?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11753
Send a message via ICQ to Sonnenburg Send a message via AIM to Sonnenburg
Battery in Rear - Junction Block??

Hey guys,

I've got my Optima mounted in the rear. It's grounded to the frame in the rear, but the + runs up the frame rail all the way to the starter solenoid. I've got another wire from the solenoid which feeds a panel from 12voltguy.com
My question is - is this OK or do I need to put a junction block between the battery and the started solenoid? I plan on putting a winch on in a week or two as well. What do you guys recommend for hooking that up? Home running it all the way to the battery, or hooking in at the solenoid or a junction block?
Sonnenburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 72744
If the connections are done properly and the wire is sized properly, going to either the solenoid or the junction block should be all right. Thing is going to be if you got big enough cable going front to back. Why dont you have the battery up front?
RRRAAAYYY2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 37244
Don`t connct anything to the starter solonoid. Put a heavy junction block up front and run at least a 2 gauge cable from the battery to it, and connect everything else from there. I would also run a seperate 10 gauge ground from the neg. batt. terminal to the body.
4x401cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11753
cool - I'm looking at getting one from BlueSea - I think it's rated at 1700amps. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 37244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenburg
cool - I'm looking at getting one from BlueSea - I think it's rated at 1700amps. Thanks for the help!

I assume when you say "getting one", your refering to the juction block. Don`t know what the BlueSea costs, but I`ll bet Delcity.net has them cheaper. You don`t need anything rated for 1700 amps.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 14712
I just ran 00 cable to my starter, and then another 00 cable to the winch. Be sure to run good grounds to the frame as well..and everything has worked fine for me so far.
Killerpee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 11753
I saw the ones on Delcity, but I went ahead and ordered this one:
http://bluesea.com/product.asp?Produ...65&l1=7465&l2=
It'll be a little neater when running a bunch of wires to it. I'm going to run the 00 gauge wire from the battery to this block. When I hook up the winch, can I ground it to the frame at the front of the vehicle, or do I need to run it to the negative of the battery (which is in the rear). I guess I could run the negative up to a junction block and ground it, but right now I've got a short cable near the battery grounded to the frame.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 37244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenburg
I saw the ones on Delcity, but I went ahead and ordered this one:
http://bluesea.com/product.asp?Produ...65&l1=7465&l2=
It'll be a little neater when running a bunch of wires to it. I'm going to run the 00 gauge wire from the battery to this block. When I hook up the winch, can I ground it to the frame at the front of the vehicle, or do I need to run it to the negative of the battery (which is in the rear). I guess I could run the negative up to a junction block and ground it, but right now I've got a short cable near the battery grounded to the frame.
I would go ahead and ground the winch to your frame. Just make sure its a good connection and I`d make the batt. to frame 00 cable also.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 72744
00 Cable is about where you should be. 2 guage is way light. Here is a link to a wire sizing chart: http://www.svapowerproducts.com/html...t_colored.html

I would use the frame as well. Make sure your connections are always "Clean, Bright, and Tight". I would then coat it with a battery spray protecter or paint. Only when you have sensitive equipment do you want to start worrying about isolating the grounds.
RRRAAAYYY2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in