Pirate 4x4 banner

where to get hi pressure fuel pump & inj over 1k psi

2K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  monkeyevil 
#1 ·
where could I find a pump that will flow fuel at high pressure any where from 800 to a few thousand psi. flow is verry little......100lb/hr .

also what kind of injector would work. all that comes to mind is a diesel pump. how could i attach it to an engine.

I dont know if belts would work or not on a hi pres pump. ....PS pumps put out high pressure put too much flow and i don't think it would like fuel eating it away.

it is for a make shift fuel injection:laughing:

#5 ·
I had a 6.2. It had 8 injectors with hard lines from the pump to the injectors. The pump itself was gear driven somewhat like a distributer. Actually the 6.2 pump did provide the timing more or less. It just put the proper pressure to the proper injector at the right time. The pressure was a lot higher than a gas fuel injection but i don't believe it was as high as your talking about. I think you could turn the pump around and possibly hook up a belt or chain drive,just make sure you have the pump going in the proper rotation. This pump built pressure to the injector to trigger the injector to fire at the right time so unless you could get your distributor to fire at the right time i'm not sure this would work for you. Why do you need such a high pressure? I would also check into the safety aspects of pressurizing gasoline this high or you may only fire this engine once. Propane works well. My .02

#12 ·
then what is an IDI diesel? the injector squirts in a prechamber.

I am not using the pump and injector for a diesel. it is for a spark ignition eng. And won't be direct injection.

how long would the ford pump last with other fuels?

1 or 2k psi is not needed but I want some thing more than a standard gas fuel injection pressure, I heard a standerd injector won't work above around
~90psi.

#15 ·
You probally need to talk to someone who runs a top fuel dragster or funny car to see what they are using. It is the only thing i can think of that would use anything close to that kind of pressure to run fuel injection on a gas engine. Newer disel engines run fuel pressure over 1,000 ...

#20 ·
I'm not sure what you are trying to do but if you want a pump to be belt driven and mount on to the engine, a CP3 pump off of a 03 or newer cummins would prolly work for ya but the reach pressures up to 20, to 28 thousand psi.. Just thought I would throw that out there.... Fdmedic276

#21 ·
diesel pumps won't handle the low lubricity of gasoline. Perhaps search on direct injection gas engines - there was a lot of work on two-stroke direct injection - Orbital comes to mind, but I don't recall if they got it working right. It may be difficult to get a gasoline fuel pump for that much pressure.

Curiouser and Curiouser - what are you up to?

#28 ·
You need to look at your pressure and temp. Compressing a standard automotive fuel to that pressure is not likely. Very high (if even achievable) octane would be required to prevent pre-ignition.

You would likely need to find a extremely high pressure pump and use a combination of blocking and bypass regulators to get the pressure where you want it. They would have to be modified probably. A lot of bench testing would need to be done, and likely some calculations. Also check the seals in said pump for compatibility with gasoline (Parker O-ring handbook has a great materials compatibility section)

If you plan on doing this with electronic injectors check to make sure they can cycle fast enough to put in the correct fuel amount for combustion.

This sounds like a engineering design project that will require additional research before it is determined to be a viable idea. If you are not capable of doing such research (not saying you need to be an engineer or be studying to be one) I would put down the crack pipe and walk away. IF you are capable of doing the research in the areas of chemistry and physics, go for it and let us know what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.