Project Lo-budget Pimpin - Page 22 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #526 (permalink)

Member # 31400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
The only issue with your set-up is that it isnt compact enough(or light enough to have any real benefit...) and makes the rig too long.......just my opinion.......Carry on with your thread jack!!!
Point taken. This case does wiegh 79 lbs.

Marv
marv_springer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #527 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Heres a pic of chassis #2....I built the chassis,supplied the welded trans as well as the harness and a local guy has done the rest!!!!

He has just a few little details to finish......(one of them being me to finish the rear output adapter..... ) And it will be out for a shake down run!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #528 (permalink)

Member # 47428
bitchin.

87 Tintop cut to shit Low Rider, 4.3 TBI, 700R, 203/205 Doubler, Dana 44 HD Front, Dana 60 FF Rear, DOM Cage, Front & Rear 3 Link on Coils, 37 Xterrains

[CENTER][COLOR="Black"]eccentric r/c - Everything R/C for less - Free Shipping
eccentricrc.com[/COLOR][/CENTER]
roczuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #529 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Can your guy make me a B20 with an Integra auto. harness?

Last edited by craigellis77; 06-05-2009 at 10:24 PM.
craigellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #530 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigellis77 View Post
Can your guy make me a B20 with an Integra auto. harness?
He can but since the integra auto is electronically controlled there is a bunch more wiring....plus you have to have a gear position switch so either you need to use a stock shifter or custom make one that accomodates that switch.....

Since that is the exact combo I want to build next there is one down side....you can chip an auto computer,so my wanting to go b20 supercharged isnt easily tuneable...........
Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #531 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Few pics of the shakedown run from the first chassis sold locally....

And after seeing this rig work today....I can say it is better than my original!!!!The improved suspension geometry has eliminated the one thing my chassis does that I didnt like!!!!

Other than building the chassis the owner did the rest!!!Im pretty sure he is more than happy with it......now I gotta make the same changes to mine!!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #532 (permalink)

Member # 6892
Looks good.
Do you think it would be worth it to try stuffing a C27a (2.7 sohc) in a rig like yours? I don't know too much about the motors, but I had one in my 89 legend and it seemed to have good power.
Rally for The Hammers post #141
Rally for Tellico post #100
Blue-Beard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #533 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Beard View Post
Looks good.
Do you think it would be worth it to try stuffing a C27a (2.7 sohc) in a rig like yours? I don't know too much about the motors, but I had one in my 89 legend and it seemed to have good power.
You probably could but major changes would have to happen since none of Hondas v-6s are reverse rotation like the 4 cyl used....plus the 3.0 v6 in the later accords run butter smooth and make a bunch more hp than the 2.7L,plus the importers sell them dirt cheap....$500-$600
Old 06-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #534 (permalink)

Member # 55444
I'm loving the road sign roof
Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #535 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Me too. My roof is mangled and I'm too cheap to spend $130 for a sheet of aluminum to build a new one.

What's the L x W on one of those signs?
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #536 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Heres a short Video.....

YouTube - First test of the Lo-budget Pimpin Production chassis........

This buggy was built in a two car garage!!!!

Last edited by Rock Ape; 06-17-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Rock Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #537 (permalink)

Member # 52295
A two car garage with another car in it the whole time...

The sign was almost exactly the right size for the width of the roof, whatever that dimension is - something like 30" square. I was going to paint it, but I think it looks fine as is... And, it is very reflective...
Zebaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #538 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
Are those Rock Equipment air shocks? you seem to have no push off on that stemp climb in the video. I wish my shocks/suspension worked like that.
whypave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #539 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by whypave View Post
Are those Rock Equipment air shocks? you seem to have no push off on that stemp climb in the video. I wish my shocks/suspension worked like that.
Yes they are rock Equipment....but mine has the same push-off you are talking about.....the difference is I fixed the problem with link placement on the new chassis....notice how tall his axle side panhard mounts are???

Last edited by Rock Ape; 06-17-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Rock Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #540 (permalink)

Member # 19652
Send a message via AIM to socalchef
Quote:
He can but since the integra auto is electronically controlled there is a bunch more wiring....plus you have to have a gear position switch so either you need to use a stock shifter or custom make one that accomodates that switch.....

Since that is the exact combo I want to build next there is one down side....you can chip an auto computer,so my wanting to go b20 supercharged isnt easily tuneable...........
Have you checked with Doug at Hondata to see if he can do anything to help with this? I can talk to him in two weeks at the next club meeting if you haven't, let me know what problems you're running into.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #541 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalchef View Post
Have you checked with Doug at Hondata to see if he can do anything to help with this? I can talk to him in two weeks at the next club meeting if you haven't, let me know what problems you're running into.
I need to be able to tune for bigger injectors to support a supercharger....I know I can use an fmu and a msd btm but getting it to run as clean as my tuned street car with a b16 and the vortech SC(that previously had all the crap mentioned above....) is the plan.But I am told nobody chips the automatic ECUs or cant.And I havent seen a stand alone system that will work with an auto either......

Tell him I want to take a b20(convert back to obd1) add a jackson SC(5-7lbs) use the 94-95 integra auto trans....and have it tuneable using my wideband o2 set-up.....
Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #542 (permalink)

Member # 19652
Send a message via AIM to socalchef
will do.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #543 (permalink)

Member # 31763
How is it staring through the windshield tubes? It seems as if they would be a major distraction for me since they are directly in front of the driver.
craigellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #544 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigellis77 View Post
How is it staring through the windshield tubes? It seems as if they would be a major distraction for me since they are directly in front of the driver.
Its pretty rare that Im looking there but I cant say I notice them......since it is fairly open and I can see about 12 inches in front of the front tires and even better in the rear,it makes me hate my pro-mod buggy because I actually have to listen to my spotter!!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #545 (permalink)

Member # 84464
you want to talk to jdavis or blundar on PGMFI.org.. tell joseph mike belben sent you. hes a honda ecu guru. i remember socketing PS9 ecus which are automatic obd0 civics. we were using the ac circuitry to run full throttle shift/launch control if i remember correctly. its been a while. but i think it can be done.

actually.. josephs email is [email protected]
mike_belben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #546 (permalink)

Member # 139581
Heys guys! Its my first post so go easy on me! I've been lurking and following the thread since the beginning. I'm building a 4WS transaxle cab over truck (99 Daihatsu Hijet 4x4) using a Honda D16 Y8 from a 99 Civic EX with an A4RA auto tranny. I've got a question for Rock Ape or for that matter anyone who may know the answer. The tranny is electronic and was wondering if anyone knew if the actual cable from the shifter is only used for a park detent or if it controls actual gear position. From what I understand the gear position is mainly controlled by a electrical position switch in the shifter housing. Sound correct?

Thanks in advance!
-Greg

Last edited by greg0187; 07-27-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: removed pics
greg0187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #547 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0187 View Post
Heys guys! Its my first post so go easy on me! I've been lurking and following the thread since the beginning. I'm building a 4WS transaxle cab over truck (99 Daihatsu Hijet 4x4) using a Honda D16 Y8 from a 99 Civic EX with an A4RA auto tranny. I've got a question for Rock Ape or for that matter anyone who may know the answer. The tranny is electronic and was wondering if anyone knew if the actual cable from the shifter is only used for a park detent or if it controls actual gear position. From what I understand the gear position is mainly controlled by a electrical position switch in the shifter housing. Sound correct?

Thanks in advance!
-Greg
Yes you are correct it needs both the cable to be in the correct position and the gear position switch to let the pcm know what gear you are trying to select.Since it uses shift soliniods it needs to know electrically the lever position.

I know it can be done,but it adds a bit of wiring.

Since you are using a D series engine you could just use a 5 speed harness and PCM and bolt on the 88-91 civic auto trans that uses no external electronic controls except a 12volt switched signal to lock-up the converter.

What you are doing is what has kept me from being really motivated to get after the b20/integra auto supercharged lo-budget build!!! And I pay someone to do my harnesses!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #548 (permalink)

Member # 139581
Quote:
Yes you are correct it needs both the cable to be in the correct position and the gear position switch to let the pcm know what gear you are trying to select.Since it uses shift soliniods it needs to know electrically the lever position.

I know it can be done,but it adds a bit of wiring.

Since you are using a D series engine you could just use a 5 speed harness and PCM and bolt on the 88-91 civic auto trans that uses no external electronic controls except a 12volt switched signal to lock-up the converter.

What you are doing is what has kept me from being really motivated to get after the b20/integra auto supercharged lo-budget build!!! And I pay someone to do my harnesses!!!!
Thanks for the quick reply. I wish I would have know that before I got my harnesses and PCM. I'm doing the harness myself... I do see a bit more work but it doesn't seem too bad. I didn't realise the tranny was electronic until after I started collecting parts. Oh well... I got a good deal on a low mileage eng/trans though. Sometimes you just got to learn the hard way. I'm using the same Surplus Center rams and throttle cable you mentioned here. Hope they are holding up well. Keep up the good work.

-Greg
greg0187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #549 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0187 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I wish I would have know that before I got my harnesses and PCM. I'm doing the harness myself... I do see a bit more work but it doesn't seem too bad. I didn't realise the tranny was electronic until after I started collecting parts. Oh well... I got a good deal on a low mileage eng/trans though. Sometimes you just got to learn the hard way. I'm using the same Surplus Center rams and throttle cable you mentioned here. Hope they are holding up well. Keep up the good work.

-Greg
Only part failure has been the rear driveline bolt-on yoke at the pinion.......and since those are supposed to be pretty tough I am happy the trans/5.29 gears have held up!!!

Surplus city stuff is good,too bad its usually pretty heavy to ship!!!!Keep us posted on your project or start a thread or something!!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #550 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Less Budget and getting more GORILLA pimpin!!!

Since this rig has no easy way to do front digs and can get bound up with welded diffs,I decided that a selectable locker front and rear was in order....

So in steps Trent Fab and Yukon......and supplied me with a pair of the Brand Spankin New ZIP lockers....

These will get installed along with cutting brakes........watch for the hurricane doughnuts!!!

Big Thanks to TFAB and Yukon!!!!

(I will do an install article if anyone is interested,but it looks very similar procedure as the other air locker.....)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in