Project Lo-budget Pimpin - Page 26 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #626 (permalink)

Member # 127171
Updates with new axles?
sleepsontoilet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #627 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsontoilet View Post
Updates with new axles?
No new news.....

I have some stock knuckle ballz lined up but I keep holding out for Bling ones for their advertised strength advantages......
Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #628 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Finally today I decided to start the turbo upgrade.... removed the current wiring harness and handed it off to the guy who built it....(since he built mine he has found ways to seriously thin them out and have nothing more than a few relays, a small fuse block and a small bus bar to hook your fan/fuel pump to....)

so I go from this...

To this..

(this is actually buggy #2...that is owned by a local guy...)

Now along with that he is going to convert it from the OBD0 pcm to a chipped OBD1 pcm...the advantage to this is the ability to tune the fuel/spark map for boost.....

No real pics yet as I need to get some flanges made so I can convert my turbo manifold from a T3 to a 16G flange.....once done pics and progress should go quick!!!!

As for parts I am using...
stock mitsubishi turbo 16G(yes a small turbo but it spools quickly at low rpm's)
Fuel injectors,and blow off from the same eclipse
No intercooler due to small space and no real airflow..... (this may change in the future to an air to water intercooler....)
chipped and tuned stock honda pcm....

Expected power increase.......60-80hp over stock.....

I hope the toyota ring and pinions survive!!!

Last edited by Rock Ape; 02-27-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Rock Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #629 (permalink)

Member # 127171
When you get a chance get back with me on his quote to do a B2 harness for mine. Along with integra trans year models to look for that mate to the B2. And any year model/part #'s for the turbo setup. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #630 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Finally got my modified harness and PCM back(OBD0 to OBD1 conversion) from my tuner homie....plugged it in and a little tune tweak and it was running better than ever!!! Better throttle respose and the EACV(IAC for you Gm guys....)was much quicker with idle adjustments when loaded down.

So I moved the buggy in front of the shop doors and finally began the Turbo Swap....
16g turbo from a misubishi
custom header built by me(for turbo relocation to where it fit....)
DSM blue top injectors
lots of mandrel bent sections of tube

Alot of the tubes are just tacked for now but it is getting close to done,just need to swap injectors,weld tubes,add blowoff valve to intake tube and add oil feed and return lines.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #631 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46168
That is a good idea for putting the turbo behind the engine. Are you going to wrap the header pipes? covering that distance is going to hurt spool up since it is going to shed some heat out of the exhaust. Any plans to tie the wastegate dump back in? I know when I had an external wastegate it was an open dump and was loud as fuck

I'm parting out my del sol now and keeping the engine and such for my own version of your buggy. It is just too cool. Except mine will be boosted from the get go since it already was in its prior life. I'll probably have to put a new manifold and smaller turbo though, which is a bummer because it was running a ball bearing turbo, just won't spool quick enough I imagine. Yes the welds look like shit, it was one of my first major fab projects. It never fell apart on me either

'00 Excursion - cummins/nv4500, 05+ coil suspension/dana 60
'54 International R112

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 05-12-2011 at 04:07 PM.
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #632 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
That is a good idea for putting the turbo behind the engine. Are you going to wrap the header pipes? covering that distance is going to hurt spool up since it is going to shed some heat out of the exhaust. Any plans to tie the wastegate dump back in? I know when I had an external wastegate it was an open dump and was loud as fuck

I'm parting out my del sol now and keeping the engine and such for my own version of your buggy. It is just too cool. Except mine will be boosted from the get go since it already was in its prior life. I'll probably have to put a new manifold and smaller turbo though, which is a bummer because it was running a ball bearing turbo, just won't spool quick enough I imagine. Yes the welds look like shit, it was one of my first major fab projects. It never fell apart on me either

Everything will get wrapped....... one small detail a few guys miss is that without an intercooler that restriction is gone...helping the boost pressure at lower rpm's. There is also a little trick that unless you look closely you probably didnt see.....the pipe from the header to the turbo inlet is 2.5 but necks down to 2" right at the turbo to help speed flow and spool ealier.This setup isnt for max rpm big HP #s but more about low to midrage power.... Thus the "big 16g" turbo.....
Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 AM   #633 (permalink)

Member # 99513
Awsome, you'll love it! I gregret one thing on my turbo system, I went with a larger turbine housing. So I really don't have off idle boost Like I wanted. But at 2200RPMS to redline is a FUUUNNN RIDE!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorcycle stuff.

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][B]NEW BEGINNINGS:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jpfrk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #634 (permalink)

Member # 23843
No new pics...But I did finally get it fired up today,a base tune was performed and she has got some impressive boost and power!!! Ill get some updated pics tomorrow...hope to get it out to the moonrocks this coming sunday for a little testing and a proper tune with a wideband hooked up.

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and use some stock knuckle balls on my bling RuffStuff toy housings....... . With the added HP I am planning to step up to 4.88s in the diffs for a little gain in R&P strength.

Last edited by Rock Ape; 06-05-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Rock Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #635 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
This setup isnt for max rpm big HP #s but more about low to midrage power.... Thus the "big 16g" turbo.....
The big 16G is a known slow spooling turbo!! Why didnt you go with a clipped small 16G or a 14B if overall power wasnt a concern? Hell I've put down over 450hp with a Big 16G. IMHO you should have gone with the 95-99 DSM T25 or T28 Garret turbo. Not a power house by any means but good spool in the 275-300hp range.

Nice build tho
Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #636 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK Scout 800 View Post
The big 16G is a known slow spooling turbo!! Why didnt you go with a clipped small 16G or a 14B if overall power wasnt a concern? Hell I've put down over 450hp with a Big 16G. IMHO you should have gone with the 95-99 DSM T25 or T28 Garret turbo. Not a power house by any means but good spool in the 275-300hp range.

Nice build tho
The turbo was almost free....

That pretty much is how the turbo was chosen...... in fact without the injectors and BOV being thrown in I wouldnt have bothered....with all the header build/harness conversion and tune/tubes... Im still in the whole conversion under $700....its not gonna make any less than the naturally asperated setup made and with the limited driving I did yesterday Im more than happy......
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #637 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
Oh ya it will!

Just wondered because mitsubishi has alot of faster spooling turbos than that. The nice thing is the exhaust flanges are the same, just have to do minor changes to the oil return and intercooler pipe.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #638 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Oh ya it will!

Just wondered because mitsubishi has alot of faster spooling turbos than that. The nice thing is the exhaust flanges are the same, just have to do minor changes to the oil return and intercooler pipe.
After some testing yesterday(granted I am still on a fat tune due to not welding a bung into the exhaust for a wideband....) it seems very much like the same rig until you lay the hammer down. Turbo is a little slow to spool but I need more seat time to tell if its gonna be a problem. It was more than enough to destroy a 5.29 set of toyota gears in the rear axle.......
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #639 (permalink)

Member # 29630
One thing we do to the 16G is take a carbide bit to the exhaust side of the turbo. It will spool faster (300rpm) ish. Search DSM Tuner and get an idea of how much there taking out. I spend 1-2 hrs on the turbo when I do it. Honestly you need to snag a stock 95-99 Turbo eclipse turbocharger. They are no power house but they spool much faster and still hold 18psi in stock form.

*EDIT* FYI the T25 can still be had for under 200$
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by BLK Scout 800; 06-13-2011 at 09:37 PM.
BLK Scout 800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #640 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
One thing we do to the 16G is take a carbide bit to the exhaust side of the turbo. It will spool faster (300rpm) ish. Search DSM Tuner and get an idea of how much there taking out. I spend 1-2 hrs on the turbo when I do it. Honestly you need to snag a stock 95-99 Turbo eclipse turbocharger. They are no power house but they spool much faster and still hold 18psi in stock form.

*EDIT* FYI the T25 can still be had for under 200$
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...Q5fAccessories
Does the t25 and 16g have the same inlet and exhaust flanges? I can see in the pic the pressurized outlet is a little different but that's the easy fix.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #641 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
Does the t25 and 16g have the same inlet and exhaust flanges? I can see in the pic the pressurized outlet is a little different but that's the easy fix.
Exhaust yes, the intake is only slightly smaller but not much. There clocked the same and the pressure side is a tad different. You wont need the stock J pipe that you used from a 1st Gen. There an easy swap and selling that 16G will more than fund it as they are more desirable with any tuner looking for big power above 3,000 rpm

Last edited by BLK Scout 800; 06-14-2011 at 06:13 PM.
BLK Scout 800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #642 (permalink)

Member # 127171
Bump, anything new?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #643 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsontoilet View Post
Bump, anything new?
No nothing new....I havent even wheeled it ....just waiting for the call from Ian so I can head back to TN for the Mo-Budget Pimpin turbo buggy vs. Xtreme4x4 wheel-off!!!!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #644 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 127789
Ever get your call from Ian? i've been keeping tabs on this and hadn't seen anything on extreme yet.
robi615 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #645 (permalink)
Pto

Member # 87197
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi615 View Post
hadn't seen anything on extreme yet.
I havent seen a new episode in a Long time. . . DVR just skips it
Tellico Rally#47 - JV Rally#262
Pto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #646 (permalink)

Member # 200311
RockApe, i see you are the man for a honda powered buggy & Im building one but i have a question i figured you would know the anwser to.

A buddy of mind has a 96 or 97 honda accord motor & transmission will it work the same as how you have your setup. It only has 140,000 & he is asking 800 for everything i need just hoping that it will work.
PanhandleMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #647 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 98189
Is it a 4 cyl or V6? I know the 4 bangers work the same for this, not positive on the V6s.
i bet at sumbitch rite ther would come up money hill slangin lugs off walkin' the cam like "RAAA..AHAAAA...AHAHAHNNAAAAA" and then get hung up on the chunk and be like RAAAANAANANAANAAAA POW!!!! and some chick would pass out from a airborne orgasm!!!

holler!!!
russellmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #648 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanhandleMotorsports View Post
RockApe, i see you are the man for a honda powered buggy & Im building one but i have a question i figured you would know the anwser to.

A buddy of mind has a 96 or 97 honda accord motor & transmission will it work the same as how you have your setup. It only has 140,000 & he is asking 800 for everything i need just hoping that it will work.
Some guys have done it accord based,but unless its really cheap or its an h22 Im not sure if its worth all the extra wiring,especially if you are gonna use an auto. The reason I like what I used is because the trans doesnt need its own computer to work....like the accord auto do. Im not saying it cant be done and Im more than sure my buddy can build any harness to make it work but I like simple.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #649 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi615 View Post
Ever get your call from Ian? i've been keeping tabs on this and hadn't seen anything on extreme yet.
No I havent heard from that canadian.....

He is busy building 90s soccer mom blazers....and that shows 75th jeep chick-or-ee!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #650 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Its been a long time since I have added to this thread,so today I took the buggy out and had a tuning session with my harness maker/tuner. He hooked up his laptop and wideband O2 sensor and after a ton of fuel map tweaks and timing tweaks had this little motor making nice clean horsepower and the turbo making boost as soon as the throttle is opened.

short vid...

IMG_1562.MOV - YouTube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in