Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   General 4x4 Discussion (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/16-general-4x4-discussion/)
-   -   I NEED HELP QUICK!!!! Steering box issue (clicking) (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/567880-i-need-help-quick-steering-box-issue-clicking.html)

cucvzuz 03-29-2007 04:59 PM

I NEED HELP QUICK!!!! Steering box issue (clicking)

I AM LEAVING AT 6:00 AM TOMARROW AND NEED A LITTLE HELP. IT IS 8:00 PM HERE

Ok, so i put new sector shaft and input shaft seals in my steering box, and after i get all together i turn it on the bench to make sure every thing is smooth and a get a funny "click" "pop" when I get it all the way to the right. I put it on the truck and bled it without the motor running and the click went away. I started it up and the click came back.

The box is a saginaw on a 79 fullsize chevy that has been ported by AGR.

Thanks in advance.

Keith 03-29-2007 06:18 PM

sounds like a recirculating ball fell out of the worm gear. I'll bet if you pop the front cover out, you will find it.

heepr 03-29-2007 06:24 PM

I'm thinking it's a ball also. In my experience you will feel resistance and then a release with the click sound when that happens. I wouldn't run the box like that.

cucvzuz 03-29-2007 08:10 PM

Thanks for the help guys I hoped it was something simple, but it looks like i will be rebuilding a box in the parking lot tomarrow morning.

If it is just a ball thAt fell out it should be ok to drive on the street as long as i do not get close to the right hand stop? right.