Tauras e-fans, and cage question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
Tauras e-fans, and cage question

First one is a simple question, with the electric fans that taurases use, which ones are the good ones, (ie that flow the most air), the dual fans out of the newer cars or the older single fans? (as i can pick them up for 15 bucks a piece and a p&p)

Second is that i'm about to start on doing my cage in my comp mud truck (yes I said mud), so its something that won't be rolling over every time out, just something that will stand up to an ocassional roll and hold strong (click here for what i plan to do: http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...y/media/484925, its not the finished one as the frame tie ins and some junctions on the bottom aren't correct, but it gives you an idea). Anyway i'm just wondering what you all think of building it (either 1.75x.120 or 1.5x.188 tubing as i can get it half price, figured i'd use around 170-180 feet) without using a bender as i on't have one on hand nor do i have the time/cash to build or buy one (i have 5 weeks befor the season starts)?

I'd use gussests on all the junctions using the tubing then plating it with some 1/8 plate (i have a crap load of the stuff so it doesn't cost anything), and i'd probably use stick to weld it up (only have a little 135 hobart mig which has shit for a duty cycle, and the lining is toast too, 3/32 7018 on dc current). But yeah what do you guys thinks, remember that this is not a rock rig, just mud drags/bogs and occasional trails, but nothing serious due to location.

Edit forgot to say that the truck is a 80 f-250, sitting on a stretched wheelbase of 145", 60front 10.25 rear, lockrights and 4.10's, 450hp 400m, 4sp, 205 (twin sticking this weekend along with hydro assist), its sitting on leafs right now but that will change to a radius arm front/3 link rear as cash allows.

Last edited by mustange70; 04-06-2007 at 12:44 AM.
mustange70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 18438
Send a message via AIM to SBChero
all it takes is one roll to kill yourself. you dont have to roll everytime out.

a cage can be built w/o any bends. its hack, but it can be done. just make sure to brace the joints. but in the intrest of your life you might want someone to a. make one for you, b. help you make one w/ a bender.

as for the fans, im not sure. but i know the single fan blows like a sum-a-bitch.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 68569
Look for the single fan with 3 large wires.
donkeystompit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
Yeah i was thinking the single one but i wasn't quite sure, i understand what you're saying sb, but the lack of cash prevents having someone else do it (and no one in our area has a bender, other than a little one for exhaust tubing. Any other input on the idea, remember this thing won't be spending time upside down, it just for that one or two times where the truck climbs a bank in the pit and gos over.
mustange70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in