Pirate 4x4 banner

Creepy Crawlers worth the price?

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  HardcorewannabeXJ 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been kicking around what I should get for my next set of tires (38-40" range, 15" wheels) and finally decided I liked the Creepy Crawlers the best.. Then I damn near choked when I saw that they are $400 each! WTF?? are these tires that good? Platinum belted or something? everyone who runs them has nothing but good things to say about them, but why the high price?

What other alternatives do I have for a trail-only rig that weighs in the neighborhood of 4000 lbs, with no room for a spare, one that sees more mud than I would like?

Pitbull rockers look good too, but at 16.5" wide, are just too wide for my application.

I keep going back to Iroks, but if I have to buy two sets of those in the time I would only have one set of the Maxxis tires, I guess that would justify the astronomical price...

#3 · (Edited)
I would say if you can Get a used set of stickys if your rig is trail only. then you would be happy.:D

Personally I am huge fan of the red lable Krawlers. we run the 37" ones with stauns on our comp buggy and the 42 Irocks on hummer rims can hold a candle to them. you can find 39" red lable BFGs on this board new and used IMHO krawlers and just be causous of the side walls.

#4 ·
might be too small, but I will have a set of 37" Trxus MTs for sale here soon (about a month). PM me if interested.

I wheel mostly here in the midwest and they do great IMO. sidewalls are strong and still ride nice since they are radials. I'm switching to some 42" iroks since I got some 1 tons finally.

they worked extremely well in tellico (and it was pretty wet that week) and I just got back from the Superlift Park in AR and beat the hell out of them there too (trail called Impossible gave them a nice beating)

just a thought if the size works.

otherwise, I'd go with a 38x12.5 TSL or the 39.9x13.5 irok for the cost factor

#6 ·
The creepy's will last ALOT longer, at least on the trail. The tread is so deep I ran a set for two years almost 100% trail and the edges of the tread was rounded, but the tread depth was still pretty close to new. And I got em smokin often. I've never seen a tire I liked better than a red label Krawler though, but would really like to be able to compare to a sticky compound Maxxis Crawler.

#7 ·
I just bought a set of 38" Creepy Crawlers because the IROCs (bias) I had only lasted 1600 off-road miles (two seasons in SoCal).
I got the CCs at Discount Tire for $350 ea. I searched for months trying to get a better price. Shipping was the deal killer.
As far as I'm concerned, the IROKs were about the worst & most expensive tire I ever owned.
If the CCs perform and wear as well as people say - I'll be way ahead!
Time will tell.:smokin:

#9 · (Edited)
krawlers do not fair so well in Indiana because there is lots of mud. The tire get muddy and then it doesn't want to climb the boulder in the trail. This is not always the case but in the 'holes' it is.

My MTR's suck big butt when it comes to these situations as well.

#10 ·
Are you referring to BFG Krawlers or the Creepy Crawlers? My thing is mostly rocks, but living in the midwest you just can't avoid the mud all the time... No street time for these babies. Off road only.

#13 ·
As a fellow illinois'er, I wouldnt get the creepy. If you wheel places like the cliffs and other local places then I suggest just getting some TSL's. Much cheaper, and I would shit a brick if the creepy wheeled the cliffs better than the TSL

#14 ·
THERE WORTH IT, I run maxxis stickys on my xrra buggy, and I havent had to get on a spare all year, the only flat we got was caused from the rim. I saw on guy we race with (name left unsaid cuz hes sponsered)Rip 3 bfg krawlers In one race:shaking:. Ive ran quite a few differnt tires in my days on trail and comp rigs(BFG, Irocs, X-terrains etc) The Maxxis creepy crawlers are the stickest and toughest tire IMO thats out right now. I would challenge any tire to a "contest" with the maxxis creepys:flipoff2:

#17 ·
True, I would love to build a open top fj40, no doors, nice rock tires.... BUT unfortunatly I live here and if I want to do alot of wheling I have to come to terms with local terrain. I have to be prepared for anything the midwest can throw at me (which is everything) so in the mean time im forced to a full body 4runner built tough and well protected. And actually now that my rig is up to it, I love the cliffs.

But again I wish I could "avoid the mud" but then I would have to avoid wheeling with all my buddies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.