Rebirth of a crawler - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87218
Rebirth of a crawler

Have you ever stepped back, took a look at your rig and thought… DAMN THIS THING NEEDS A MAKEOVER… Well, if you’re the ugly duck of your group this thread will hopefully inspire you to buy a sawzall and a few cases of beer. Don’t be scared, your buddies will cheer you on as each piece hits the floor! If you get in over your head… well your not alone, you can always bring your frame to us and we’ll help turn it into the coolest rig in your group!

I know we did this at this time last year, but looking back at all the pics we took is inspiring… It won Jason the “GUNG HO” award at the first XRRA last year in Jelico, and it’s worth sharing. So here’s how it went down.

Jason comes to me 15 days before the first XRRA at Jelico last year and says he wants to rework his buggy. OH, and can you have it done in time to make the first XRRA this season? After a few min of BS this sort of became a challenge. So, off Jason goes to get his buggy. A few days on the drawing board and we’ve now got 11 days till tech.

The chassis was originally built by Justin Lamb at Kentucky Offroad for the ERROC series back in 2001. The rig has quite a bit of competition history before being bought by Jason, the president of Kamakaze Mudders. Though it sports the stock 4 popper from the original Zuk, custom Axles built by Spidertrax with Tracker center sections and Cryogenic axels are four linked on both ends and matched to the motor with 5.28 crawler gears in the transfer. Add coilovers on all four corners and this is a very capable rig.... HOWEVER, built for Justin, The new owner looked like a Gorilla stuffed in a shoebox trying to drive this thing... The idea was to restyle the platform to a modern buggy design that is more trail friendly and fits the new owner. Jason had plans to run a few XRRA comps and be on the trails several times a month. We feel we did a great job with his goals and was probably the best budget build we’ve ever attempted.

YES, this was a budget build, the idea behind it was to inspire people to follow their dreams and to show that you don’t have to build a $80k rig to go play with the big dogs… enjoy!

Here’s what showed up…

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Want to see what's going on in the shop?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bent Fabrications is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87218
We got it stripped the same day

Jason asked where I wanted him to cut at… I started pointing at every attachment to the frame! He didn’t even flinch, Hell, he even brought his own sayzall!

After a few min..

That was day 1… we had a clean slate, after half a night of grinding…

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87218
second day in the shop

Day 2 was spent laying out the lower part of the rear. Just when Jason thought he was done with the sawzall… I told him to start cutting the rest of the original tubework out.

Might as well take a few inches more off the frame..

And we got the original chassis hauled off, wrapping up day 2

Old 02-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3007
WOW! What an ugly pile of shit
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 40928
Send a message via AIM to wilf
WOW!!!!! that is all

"anybody can drive a jeep but it takes a real man to cut one up"
wilf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Are the links 1" conduit?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 24704
Now I know exactly what it'd look like if I built a buggy.
Tim84K10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
A: why didn't you start over
B: are your coil overs on upside down?

for the fastest quick release extinguisher mounts available and UTV parts
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3007
CO's look to have shock bushings in them also
Old 02-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 63878
subscribed

*flame suit on*

I liked it before you tore it town just get it blasted and shoot it with a fresh paint job and go
Old 02-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
CO's look to have shock bushings in them also
I may be wrong, but those coil overs look more like standard shocks that have a sleeve on them to hold the springs on. Similar to what the cheap honda car coil over kits do.

EDIT: It will be interesting to see what the finished product looks like. What little has been done so far looks like it should be a lot better than the old stuff was. I think I would have taken a pressure washer to it before even starting to rebuild it too.

Last edited by mondtster; 02-01-2008 at 09:27 AM.
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87218
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep10 View Post
A: why didn't you start over
B: are your coil overs on upside down?
A: Take note as the purpose of the thread is to show others that if you think you junk looks like... well, JUNK. Cut that SOB up and make it better! If it already runs and drives you will save a ton on all the little junk that adds up on a new build, the rest is just cosmetic. It was running and driving, and all we really did was "restyle" the existing buggy.

B: those aren't really coilovers... did i say he was on a budget? those are 10" Hijacker's with a kit to put coilover springs on them, for CHEAP! For the guy on a huge budget they aren't that bad... and set up without the hastle of mounting springs and shocks seperately. I'll get some more info on these up soon.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 78458
are you redoing the suspension? Those links look puny
jeeper8650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper8650 View Post
are you redoing the suspension? Those links look puny
The links were built back in 2001 before everyone started using 7075! Hell, there were less people than you could count on one hand even experimenting with aluminum links then! Keep in mind, as hideous as the original buggy was, it was cutting edge in 2001. The links were 1.25" solid 6061 aluminum all the way around when first built. Of course everyone competing quickly found out that this was not even close to strong enough for comps! The lowers had been replaced with 1.25x9/32" wall DOM sometime in the past. This is the same stuff we use now, because you can simply cut it the length you need and the ID is the correct tap size for a 3/4" heim. After you run the tap in cut a piece of 1.5x.120 wall DOM and sleeve it. It is a very easy way to build a pretty tough link. If you don't feel that’s strong or heavy enough, sleeve it with 1.75x.120 wall DOM again! I wanted to sleeve these lowers but almost every link was tweaked. It wasn't in the budget to replace any of them. So based on the fact they had survived most of 6 years like they were... we left them alone with hopes he could replace them when budget allowed. I did however rework all the suspension attachment points to give it better geometry both on the axles and at the frame. The original points on the frame were such a joke, I crack up every time I go back and look at these pics. We'll get to some suspension rework, be patient

Old 02-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 107720
yes ill agree with everyone it looked realy bad but it worked realy good i did alot of trails that other built veh could net do and i have trashed that thing from day one and evan jumped cars at a exabition in lexington. the coilovers and control arms have never let me down.i have broke other parts that i was told should never break but thats the way i drive.no the shocks are not mounted up side down thay are oil shocks here is a leank to the site i got tham from http://www.roughterrainparts.com/ if you are building a light weight buggie aor jeep i would recomend these evan if you bend a shock you can get replacements for $30 they are explorer shocks i have only bent one and that was due to a tree i hit after a few minutes in a 10ton press i am still using the same ome a year later and have competed in the xrra with it like that with no prob.i hope i have helped you all out with your questions

Last edited by team kamikaze; 02-01-2008 at 02:43 PM.
team kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Is the new cage tubing chromoly or what? Color of it is why I ask and the weird heat marks at the welds?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 107720
it is dom tubing the company we got it from had oil or something along that line on it it made for a good mess when working with it
Old 02-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87218
Tubing

It's 1.75 x .120 wall DOM. Our local steel supplier gets it preoiled with something to help with shelf life in their building. It's a BITCH.. we have to wipe everything down with mineral spirits before handling it. When it doesn't get wiped down enough the heat zone of the weld burns it off. It's a real pain to prep for paint too!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 8937
I think it needs more anti-squat.

September 24-25, Wild West Motorsports Park, Reno, NV

#199/4499 - Superchips, Maxxis, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Yukon, JE Reel, Rugged Radios, Lifetime LED, Sway-a-way.

mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruck44 View Post
I think it needs more anti-squat.
HAHAHA!! study the second and third pic in the first post... The damm thing went better in reverse than it did forward!

Jason.. i know you've got some old pics of car crushin' in reverse! you got to postem up..

Old 02-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 45490
To make this an official pirate build I will have to add-
Definitely needs more triangulation
Old 02-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 15582
Send a message via MSN to Droopy Send a message via Yahoo to Droopy
WOW. I forgot what it looked like before. Didn't know you guys did all that. That's cool.

BTW - Justin competed in 2003 with that on 35" Krawlers in the Unlimited class. I was there for the unveiling. He was shooting for the modified class when he first started, but it was way under the weight requirements, so he didn't try so hard on the body when they found out how much it weighed. He tried to go the "light is better" route...reason for the skinny aluminum links. I think that thing weighed around 2000 pounds.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
Send a message via ICQ to Shoope1 Send a message via AIM to Shoope1 Send a message via Yahoo to Shoope1
I have seen that buggy go through pure hell at the southern shine crawl the past few years..

Shoope1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87218
Day 3

We got the front framed out for a new Suzuki Sidekick hood to be used, of course we had to narrow it up a bit. We also got the upper part of the chassis’ A and B pillars in. This is always the best part of a build, you always have to allow extra time for drinking a beer and staring at the new shape of the chassis.

The side of the chassis was designed with the fact that this buggy will see trail riding 2 or more times a month. Jason being such a big guy, we needed to make it easy to get in and out of.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 27003
Send a message via Yahoo to acprokeith
damn you work fast.
acprokeith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in