professional mechanics PLEASE READ!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 104502
professional mechanics PLEASE READ!!

the owner of my dealership came back today from a meeting with all the local chrysler dealers. their main topic during their meeting was tool theft.
people are coming into shops dressed in snapon gear posing as tool reps. they look around and even talk with techs. it turns out they're caseing the joint. they are not stealing tool boxes, but, tools. they have trash cans on wheels and just empty all the tools into them dressed like cleaning people. tools from here have wound up in russia supposedly.
my dealership will not cover loss, nice huh! turns out my renters insurance will.
just a heads up secure your stuff. this has happened up and down the west coast but, who's next?
lock it up!
if you visit other forums you should link this post!
superwag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
They came in as snap-on reps and left dressed as cleaning people with trash cans... damn they are magical thief's no wonder they are not caught yet

In all seriousness that sucks.
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 37866
Where is this happening at?
1sicbronconut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 104502
I should clerify, they appearantly broke it at night after hours dressed as cleaning people. my snapon guy knew nothing about it but, our mac guy knew of it.
where is it happening: I don't have specific info on that but, I believe it. oregon and california for sure though.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
No alarms on your building? Then shame on you.

And none of your techs thought it was odd that Snap-on reps would show up without the tool truck reps Something sounds off to me. I know our guys would know if some fawk wad was up to no good.

Only way thief's got away with stealing at our store was smash and grab, all they took was small new hand held Stihl stuff from the other side of our store that sells the green weeny stuff - no time for tool box's from either the industrial shops or the L&G shop, any longer and they would be walking away in silver bracelets.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 30432
One benefit that most technicians don't ask about when considering job placement is tool insurance. I manage dealerships and for us to be able to cover tool theft or loss during fires and that kind of thing I require a full inventory, notarized and it has to be up to date..

Believe it or not most dealerships have little to none security!!!

JOSH
Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 104502
[QUOTE=Landslide;7853172]No alarms on your building? Then shame on you.

And none of your techs thought it was odd that Snap-on reps would show up without the tool truck reps Something sounds off to me. I know our guys would know if some fawk wad was up to no good.

maybe you should reread the post. It hasn't happened at my place. here's one story I found. http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?s=7468049

Last edited by superwag; 02-08-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 13959
Send a message via AIM to 87JeepWrangler
why bother dressing up as a snap on guy, just to break in at night and steal stuff when nobody is around?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
87JeepWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 101942
shoot low boys...there ridin mini bikes
xjemily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 86878
I always lock my shit up. My dealership has no security. Homeowners insurance covers my tools and toolbox.
[/COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]"Me too" short Crew build[/COLOR]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^ Parting Out ^^
Odin K30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 14712
A locked toolbox is just an invitation to rip it open. There are always pry-bars laying around. In a decent size shop, it would be easy to stroll through posing as a tool rep.
Killerpee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 18907
i know medford oregon was hit. And they did break into tool boxes that were locked.
jnau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 64808
Something like this just happened to Red Bluff Ford a week or so ago. They came in drilled out the locks or just pryed open the boxes and took every tool. All the shop scan tools and specialty tool was taken.
BSW Racing,CalRocs,Super Mod #8

[COLOR="Red"]Need tabs, brackets, or diff covers?[/COLOR]

Check out my buggy build

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Red"]Bloody Stump Wheelers[/COLOR][/FONT]
TacomaJoe95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJoe95 View Post
Something like this just happened to Red Bluff Ford a week or so ago. They came in drilled out the locks or just pryed open the boxes and took every tool. All the shop scan tools and specialty tool was taken.
Oh snap! Thats hitting a little too close to home. I have an motion sensor in the shop, and have one snap on dealer every week, same guy. I would run anyone else out of my shop even if they were a legit dealer. I am loyal to my snap on dude.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 68765
Send a message via AIM to King7765
That blows! It pisses me off when I hear about people stealing. Get a fawkin job, save, have pride in yourself and buy your own shit!

If I ever hear that one of my friends stole from their work reguardless of how small it is, they'll get an ear full from me about how much of a fuck tard they are.

I'm glad I have no windows in my small shop, but I should look/build a better door...

Hope those fawkers are caught...

My thread
King7765 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 64808
Corning Ford was hit the same way. I think that happened last summer.
Ive got a pretty state of the art security system on my shop but you never know when it can happen to you. My shop got hit about 5 years ago. They got about 5k worth of shop specialty tools. The person was never caught but it was an ex employee but I could prove it.
BSW Racing,CalRocs,Super Mod #8

[COLOR="Red"]Need tabs, brackets, or diff covers?[/COLOR]

Check out my buggy build

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Red"]Bloody Stump Wheelers[/COLOR][/FONT]

Last edited by TacomaJoe95; 02-08-2008 at 10:08 AM.
TacomaJoe95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 50245
Send a message via MSN to chrono4 Send a message via Yahoo to chrono4
That sucks. It hits the guys where it hurts. Without tools, a mechanic cant make money. Beat em with a 28mm box end wrench when they catch em.....
Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 90212
about 5 dealers got hit here in albuquerque. got us twice, bout 5 guys in our front shop. the first time they opened up my box and diddnt take anything, but the second time.......sniff sniff. our shop took care of all our tools. I asked our manager if it mattered what brand of tool I replaced my stolen stuff with and he just said if you had that tool It diddnt matter what brand just get what you had. so that worked out for me. dont remember any snapon guys though. it would be real easy to case a shop. just pose as a customer trying to look for a tech and no one would know any better.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
We have two very large service dept's with about 10+ techs in each shop not including our road field techs and one smaller one for the L&G stuff. The techs have to do an inventory as well since the company does cover them in their insurance policy.

I was surprised to find out today when I asked one of the techs about the snap-on rep's showing up without the snap-on tool truck guy. He said yes sometimes they do show up by themselves - much different from 15+ years ago when I was a tech. Only time they showed up by themselves was when the tool truck guy quit.

We have customers walk around in our shops - not very often and almost always we know who they are or someone is with them.

Never know I suppose.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 14637
One of our maintainance workshops in a city close to me, my manager manages it as part of a group, has been raided three times since christmas - by the same guy!

How do we know it's the same guy? the arrogant fucker poses in front of the CCTV with a ski mask on and laughs This is a workshop on a full time manned large sewage treatment plant in a busy area, the workshop is only manned in the day though.
The vans were moved inside the workshop, he broke in.

So far he's emptied about six vans of tools, that's hand tools, power tools and electrical test equipment worth tens of thousands of pounds.

Never underestimate the market for stolen tools, or the bravado of a thief.

Luckily the company replace the personal tools we have on the vans.

Last edited by Mudplugga; 02-08-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Mudplugga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJoe95 View Post
Corning Ford was hit the same way. I think that happened last summer.
Ive got a pretty state of the art security system on my shop but you never know when it can happen to you. My shop got hit about 5 years ago. They got about 5k worth of shop specialty tools. The person was never caught but it was an ex employee but I could prove it.
Yep. I called my friend with another trans shop in Palo Cedro, he said the same thing. Said they actuall rolled out the boxes
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 27040
Send a message via AIM to HickTrucksRus Send a message via MSN to HickTrucksRus
wow, that sucks. Im glad that my shop is open 24hours and there is always a manager present. Ill still keep an eye out for any unusual tool reps.
HickTrucksRus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 19381
my former employer got hit a few months ago. Razzari ford/mazda in Merced. lost EVERYTHING... but now i have everything brand new at no charge to me... We were EXTREMELY fortunate to be taken care of in that way. Three other dealerships were hit within a few days of us and I heard they got the shaft.
cactuscj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 35424
Send a message via AIM to mopar440truck Send a message via Yahoo to mopar440truck
out here in charlotte they were driving moving vans through the front windows of shops or through the bay doors and loading up boxes on the lift and they getting the fawk out they didnt care if the boxes were locked or not cuz they took em somewhere else and broke into them
mopar440truck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
Why even bother casing what the place has, any dealership will have enough good tools to make it worthwhile.
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in