cutting brake ??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 41176
cutting brake ???

With a 1 in 2 out to each rear wheel with two handles; Do your brakes still work nomal when you push the peddle? Hows that work? Does it just run throught the little cylinders without the use of the handles?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Yep, I don't notice any difference when I'm not using the levers.

If you hold the brake pedal down you'll notice you can't move the levers at all...basically the pedal pressurizes the whole system and the levers only pressurize their individual circuits. I'd imagine it's a one-way valve of sorts at the inlet.

I've also been able to successfully gravity-bleed both my rear brakes through the cutting brakes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 27999
Do you bleed the cutting brake M.C. throught the main M.C.'s or do you 'bench bleed' the cutting brake before installation? I have not recieved my cutting brake yet, so maybe after I see it it will be obvious?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beyer05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 41176
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyer05 View Post
Do you bleed the cutting brake M.C. throught the main M.C.'s or do you 'bench bleed' the cutting brake before installation? I have not recieved my cutting brake yet, so maybe after I see it it will be obvious?

When get yours give your thoughts on it and any helpful info in general as far as the installation. I think this is going to be my next mod and I'm just trying to learn some more about'em. What brand did you get? Anyone know how long the handles are on the CNCs?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 38130
on the 2 handle you will
push brake and hold pull left handle (that goes to left rear) then open bleeder
and the same thing but use right handle and open right bleeder
and i have CNC

Last edited by toywelder; 02-26-2008 at 11:29 AM.
toywelder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 27999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDale View Post
When get yours give your thoughts on it and any helpful info in general as far as the installation. I think this is going to be my next mod and I'm just trying to learn some more about'em. What brand did you get? Anyone know how long the handles are on the CNCs?
I bought a CNC single handle lever.

beyer05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Quote:
I got the CNC dual-handle ones from Poly Performance. It's the kind of thing that I don't use a whole lot but is really nice to have in some spots, especially with a twin-stick case.

The handles are probably about a foot long, you can see mine in this pic:

There's a better pic in some other thread on here, lemme see if I can remember it...

Flying Pig Racing #512
Old 02-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Here ya go...

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=18

Flying Pig Racing #512
Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 41176
Those handles are long as shit. Do you need that much leverage?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 97843
I am pretty new to the 4 wheel world and cutting breaks are something I don't totally understand. Not trying to jack just wondering about them. The purpose or when to use and why? thanks
ryde307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 83061
They are good for front digs , where you disengage the rear and lock the rear brake and move the front over .
Toolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 77945
I assume by your user name TjDale that you will be installing this on a TJ?

Take a look at my build up post # 93

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=501250&page=2

They also work well for playing in the snow on icy roads, a quick pull of the lever gets your rear end sliding in the correct direction then apply power to round out the corner. I had my wife playing this game a couple months ago. good times.
SWAG MFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8937
Quote:
Those handles are long as shit. Do you need that much leverage?
Yes.

September 24-25, Wild West Motorsports Park, Reno, NV

#199/4499 - Superchips, Maxxis, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Yukon, JE Reel, Rugged Radios, Lifetime LED, Sway-a-way.

mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
For the proper way to bleed them, do a search under my screenname under, bleeding cutting brakes...the way listed above does not purge the cutting brake cylinder properly and i have done a few writeups on the proper methods to actually get it fully bled.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 19323
I am in the process of installing the CNC rockcrawler cutting brakes in mine, the way I am setting it up I can lock any tire at any time or pull both to lock the rear or push both to lock the front

RCrocs Class 3 Team #304
Fullsizexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruck44 View Post
Yes.
Indeed. Even with all the leverage, to lock a rear wheel completely I still end up pressing on the lever pretty damn hard. Your arm has about as much leverage on the brake system as your foot does, without the benefit of a booster etc...so yeah, you gotta hang on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullJeep View Post
For the proper way to bleed them, do a search under my screenname under, bleeding cutting brakes...the way listed above does not purge the cutting brake cylinder properly and i have done a few writeups on the proper methods to actually get it fully bled.
I've seen your writeup, and it's definitely right. The fact that I was able to gravity bleed mine is absolutely an odd statistic and I've yet to meet anyone who shares my fantastic luck. It absolutely worked for me though...I can lock up a rear tire at about 1/2 travel on the cutting brake cylinder, and I've locked all 4 tires in traffic (39.5). I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't been driving it for the last 13 months...but YMMV.

Flying Pig Racing #512
Old 02-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 87058
Pardon my ignorance, but where do the cutting brake cylinders get the fluid from? Are they plumbed to the mc reservoir, and return there as well? I've been trying to figure a way with check valves, line lock/ bypasses to do this with a spare clutch mc(and hand lever), but figured the 2 reservoirs would end up swapping fluid. I didn't think about plumbing it to the brake mc instead of using its own reservoir.
JGVABronco78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 19323
The ones I have just plumb inline and have a flow through for regular brake pedal built in
RCrocs Class 3 Team #304
Fullsizexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 140656
I'm gonna bring this thread back up. I fully understand the concept and application of cutting brakes for the rear tires. Sharper turns are always good. But one thing I'm not fully understanding, I'm sure it will be answered quickly, is what is the point of installing cutting brakes on the front? My guess is for off camber situations where you don't need a tire rolling because it may cause a roll over.

Also, I haven't seen much as far as a line lock for cutting brakes so that you can pull the lever and leave it until you need to release. I'm sure there is a reason for this?

Thanks,

-Joe
Pirate Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
Joe, sometimes you want to "feather" the brakes...the cutting brake allows that.

Next, on the front, allows you to do rear digs and "pivot" around whichever tire is locked up. We do other stuff with em too, like locking the right front / digging a left front hole with the ARB unlocked, then locking the left front and using that hole as a "pivot point"...and more...more...more...but most of that stuff is for competition.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Joe View Post
I'm gonna bring this thread back up. I fully understand the concept and application of cutting brakes for the rear tires. Sharper turns are always good. But one thing I'm not fully understanding, I'm sure it will be answered quickly, is what is the point of installing cutting brakes on the front? My guess is for off camber situations where you don't need a tire rolling because it may cause a roll over.

Also, I haven't seen much as far as a line lock for cutting brakes so that you can pull the lever and leave it until you need to release. I'm sure there is a reason for this?

Thanks,

-Joe
*edit yeah...what said
I'm no expert on cutting brakes, but you can pivot around a locked front tire (and burn some killer doughnuts) the same as a rear tire. Good for competitive rock crawling, it just depends on which way you need to pivot.

I'd guess the reason must don't use a typical line lock for cutting brakes is that they are too slow. You have to press the brake, activate the line lock, let off the brake, then dig/turn then repeat to release. Cutting brakes are faster, pull the lever, dig/turn, then let off and continue on your way.

My $.02.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 05-25-2010 at 02:44 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 139747
I found this video of Shanon Campbell's run to be very educative on how these guys use cutting breaks. See 2nd half with the rear facing view:

Suhaib Kiani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
That is how we drive as well...far less use of the steering wheel when using the cutting brakes and due to the rear outside tire overdriving, it slides the rear opposite of the locked tire, enabling you to cut inside on lines and set up the rear-end tracking far more accurately.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 75163
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullJeep View Post
I do not find it.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 14094
Send a message via AIM to Hvy_Chevy
This one?

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in