Forklift Propane Tank Sizes... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Union Fab Works

Member # 21939
Send a message via AIM to carwash Send a message via Yahoo to carwash
Forklift Propane Tank Sizes...

So do i understand correctly that there are a bunch of different sizes in propane tanks in the forklift variety? I know i have seen at least three now. Trying to decide what size tanks to get ahold of to fab my mounts... what sizes is every one running, and let's see some mounts.

Here is a sweet image showing three main common sizes i guess... and also gives dimensions of them all, etc... it's nice. It's from Manchester Tank. they sell them all i guess.

This is the chart for aluminum tanks...

And here is the chart for steel tanks...

here is the image that the OL, H, D, B measurements reference on the chart... although the image sucks and i really can't read it at all, but that's what they provided...

Another image from their site, to show some proportion together...

Now let's see everyone's tank mounts. Looking for a way i can mount these 43.5# ones, as i will be v8 and even bigger v8 later. Here is gutter runners... Simple but effective. What you got?

carwash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Union Fab Works

Member # 21939
So, if i'm reading a chart right, the aluminum 43.5# tanks are 12.3" in diameter, with an overall lenth of about 34" and a tank length of about 28". Steel tank in the same size is about 20# each heavier on the tare weight. Trying to fit two of them behind the seat here....

should be able to squeeze them in.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3007
2 - 43# tanks is a lotta damn fuel no?
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Union Fab Works

Member # 21939
only 20 gallons... is that a lot for 3 days of wheeling?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 64332
are you dead set on having that third seat? looks like you could easily fit two running parrellel where that seat is and still have a little room for a cooler.
looks like that seat doesnt have alot of head room anyway
most of my buddies with a v8 have two tanks just in case. i have mine setup to run two tanks but only need one. i throw the second one on if my main one is low
here's how mine are mounted
the rectangle in front of the winch has holes for tank brackets so i can put another tank there
Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Union Fab Works

Member # 21939
that pic is older, the seat has been lowered 4" or so. And yes, third seat will need to stay. Is it bad to run them vertical?

Is that a 43.5# tank there muddyblzr?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 64332
ya that's a 43.5 lbs one i dont see why you can run them vertical the pickup tube is at the bottom.
i've been told it's best to run them horizontal slanting down. that way the pickup tube gets as much fuel as possible but i have yet to have a problem how mine are.
i think they ready better horizontal
if you need measurements i can get some
Old 03-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
waterboy

Member # 9086

i'm pretty sure i'm running the 7.7 gallon tanks. standing them vertical, they run fine and the gauges are guesses anyways even when horizontal. after a few trips you'll learn when you need to swap tanks.

if you're running 2 tanks, make sure you leave your hose long enough to be able to unhook it from one and hook to the other and you don't have to move the tank over. that's a big pain in the ass. if you're really good, you could plumb both in, just make sure you keep one valve closed or it'll try and fill the other tank and then you'll be completly outta fuel at a bad time LOL.
surveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash View Post
only 20 gallons... is that a lot for 3 days of wheeling?
Not a lot, that may be not engough, Id only run about 2days with a stock 350 on a OHG450 with two 40# tanks. Depends on the haulin ass factor. Most trips 1 tank is plenty for all day. I like to have one full tank and some reserve in the other tank for just one day of wheelin. so for me 2 days but Ill have like a 5 gallon reserve commign back to camp but kinda risky for day 3 to head out all day with only 5 gallons or so.

I think mounting two 40# vertical would be easiest to get to.

I would use two forklift straps per cylinder. The 30# and 40# tanks are the same diameter and thats all that maters if you use the forklift straps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AZ Undertaker
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyboy View Post
if you're running 2 tanks, make sure you leave your hose long enough to be able to unhook it from one and hook to the other and you don't have to move the tank over. that's
and get a cap for the other tank so when you dont have the hose on it it wont get full of mud and dirt when you need to use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AZ Undertaker
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
H M F

Member # 8758
I run 2 of the 43.5# tanks for my thirsty V8. I guess they are 10 gal, but every time I fill them from empty I get charged for ~12 gal

I just backhalfed the buggy a few months ago and made a new mounting system. My tanks are steel and weigh around 90 pounds full. So I made the back open like a pickup bed without a tailgate. Sucks lifting those tanks over the old tall tubes. Tanks just slide on the 3 tubes. Holding them in with ratchet straps right now, but I am building some elaborate metal straps for a longer lasting hold down. Just haven't had enough time to finish them yet.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 3427
I run one 10gal tank and keep a couple of spares on the trailer. One tank usually lasts me a full day of wheelin with my 396cid. On arelated note, I am trying hard to find a small (1-2gal) tank to set up as a reserve tank. I know I've seen them beofre but can't locate a source. Anybody have an idea? What are others using for reserve fuel. I have run off the small green throw away bottles in a pince nut they are only like 1/8 of a gollon - not going far on that!!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 49939
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabecruisen View Post
I run one 10gal tank and keep a couple of spares on the trailer. One tank usually lasts me a full day of wheelin with my 396cid. On arelated note, I am trying hard to find a small (1-2gal) tank to set up as a reserve tank. I know I've seen them beofre but can't locate a source. Anybody have an idea? What are others using for reserve fuel. I have run off the small green throw away bottles in a pince nut they are only like 1/8 of a gollon - not going far on that!!
X2

One tank will last me most of the week-end but it gives very little warning when it runs out. I pretty much have to run them empty or else I get screwed when its time to fill them. I dont have room for a second tank or a BBQ tank.
________
Wellbutrin lawsuit information

Last edited by comeonstart; 08-23-2011 at 10:51 PM.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 33065
You can also look into a motor vehicle tank. They come in many different sizes. I have a 28 gal. tank in my Jeep. I have the stock I6 in mine and use about 15-17 gal.'s on a 3 day trip. I went with that big of a tank so I never have to worry about running out. The way the back of the jeep ended up I cannot remove my tank. I have a 7 gal. forklift tank as a spare that is mobile.

This is where I mounted my tank.

I access the tank from the back.

My spare tank

WeBilt 4WD Club
JDunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
DUG
Granite Guru

Member # 858
Send a message via AIM to DUG
I ran 33# tanks because they where available at work when I had an LP rig but given a choice the capacity of the 43# tanks make them seem like a better choice.

I think that for off angle operation vertical is petter as it is less likely to uncover the siphon tube.

My 350 would eat a tank in a day, sometimes a bit more depending on how I drove and that was with the 33# bottles. I carried two but only pulled off of one at a time to make sure I would always know when I was at 'half a tank.'

Just a plug for a great company, if you need LP parts, tanks, brackets, etc try giving Hendrix Industrial Gas Trux (the 'x' stands for xtreme ) a call; they are one of the oldest and most helpful companies in the LP fuels system industry. I recommend talking to Todd.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Does it matter ?

Member # 5289
Name:  resize.jpg
Views: 11176
Size:  102.5 KB

Heres mine 2 of the 33s
Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7624
Send a message via AIM to offroadman83
The research I have done shows that most people prefer running the 43.5 tanks, and I plan to run one in my amc 304 anemic powered machine. I will probably eventually set it up for 2. I am gonna mount them horizontal in the tub of my wrangler. Don't want any way of anything puncturing them. Oh and brand new tanks from swift forklift parts are the best price I have found on egay----------------------just a heads up

---------------Kyle

Last edited by offroadman83; 03-19-2008 at 08:19 PM.
offroadman83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 19330
Send a message via AIM to dan58
I normally run through one 33# tank for a full day of wheeling with my 360. I carry a second one with me just to be on the safe side. I'd LOVE to ditch the second tank in favor of really small backup tank.

dan58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 08:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
Who?????

Member # 64846
I was going to post up a pic, but you already took care of that for me! Glad you like it.

Just a note, mine are plumbed into a T-check valve with both tanks hooked up. When I run out, I just reach back and open the full tank.

Quote:
"Damn you Gutter Runner and your meddling tasty potato soup."

Gutter Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Union Fab Works

Member # 21939
nice looking. you fab that mounting setup or buy it?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Who?????

Member # 64846
Actually, I asked a friend to just bring me some scrap steel from his shop. He asked me some measurements, and then fabbed the base and sides at his shop. All I got to do was weld the rings on the base, and my tab for the check valve. Then I just drilled some holes and bolted on the tank brackets.

Quote:
"Damn you Gutter Runner and your meddling tasty potato soup."

Gutter Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
Union Fab Works

Member # 21939
so your check valve only allows the pane to flow in one direction right, that keeps it from trying to fill the other tank? or you close the one, then open the other, and that solves it, or what?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Union Fab Works

Member # 21939
dang, it's hard to find 43# aluminum tanks without having to trade a kidney for one... anyone have a source for nice used tanks, or cheap new ones?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 47273
I use 2 43 #der's. I will burn through both tanks in about 6 hrs. in the sand dunes. Granted I have a big thirsty motor and running full throttle most of the time. I will burn through about 1.75 tanks running pritchett in Moab if I drive from the hotel and run the hole trail and drive back on the highway from where it comes out by BFE. You can see in the pic. that I stacked mine flat behind the rear seat. With the top tank forward of the bottom tank it leaves me just enough room for a small tool box and cooler.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 1418
I'm using a BBQ tank as my back up spare ........ well I havent used it yet but I have the adapter to

Oh, and I'm using the see through fiberglass tank

Last edited by Kyron; 03-20-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Kyron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in