Which Tires (Toyo Open Country MT's or BFG T/A KM2's) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2864
Send a message via AIM to Military Jeeper Send a message via MSN to Military Jeeper Send a message via Yahoo to Military Jeeper
Which Tires (Toyo Open Country MT's or BFG T/A KM2's)

Which would you pick based on performance:

Toyo Open Country M/T's (37x13.5 on 17" Rim)
$385 per tire

or

BFG T/A KM2's (37x12.5 on 17" Rim)
$325 per tire

Major difference is $65 per tire more on the Toyo's over the BFG's.

Which would you choose if money wasn't an option, and based on overall performance.

Last edited by Military Jeeper; 06-30-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Military Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5110
Nitto Mud Grapplers (made by Toyo FWIW and has a more agressive tread).
Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 33776
I've had good luck with the Toyo's. Don't have much expierence with the BFG's

Quote:
The internet is full of misrepresenting weirdos.
BamDazyBBQ Located in Auburn Ca. or BamDazyBBQ.com

Webilt member

97 CTD, extra cab, on 35's
90 toy, 42s, full hydro, cases, 4;7's, detroits, one tons
2000 4runner 5speed on 35's
K5 Blazer on Ton's, ARB's, 38's and a 502 BBC (for sale)
42s on u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 85049
Send a message via AIM to ford_n_toy
I love my new toyo MT's, used them in mud and sand, and worked great. Took them the hammers about a month ago and loved them over my mtrs.

Some things that are negative about them are, they are heavy, and you have to air down more to get side wall flex.

some positive things, they wear well on the street, no worries about side wall tears. And they actually measure out to what they are. Work well in rocks, sand, mud.

My 37" mtrs measured in at 35 1/2 with 85%+ tread, my 38" MT's measure to 38.

Hope that helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ford_n_toy; 06-30-2008 at 09:42 PM.
ford_n_toy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2395
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 37690
Send a message via Yahoo to blackrider
if your wheeling in hawaii ,i'd pick the most resistant to punctures and slices[lava?]
4.3 vortec/tbi,yota axles/dual cases,40's,
stauns,oba,4 linked,coilovers,zook tub
[COLOR="blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]NotQuiteRight Wheelers[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
blackrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2864
Send a message via AIM to Military Jeeper Send a message via MSN to Military Jeeper Send a message via Yahoo to Military Jeeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
That's funny.............I don't care who you are. I can't believe they still make those pieces of $hit!!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2395
I'm right there with you. I believe in Interco completely, but don't get what they were thinking when they made these...

Honestly though, what about Irok's? I run them because I think they are the best all around tire out there.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 16548
I like the Toyo's but everyone has those now. But there is a reason for that they are a good tire.

I am going with the BFG's myself when I need new tires (mine will be a 35 though) I've seen them in person and I love the look of them. Plus they are still new enough that not everyone has them yet.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
I think of the TOYO M/T's as a daily driver pavement pounder truck tire, more focused about looks and tread wear then performance.

The KM2??? Well I guess it has yet to be proven on or off, although it has a pretty good legacy being built off the KM series with a more Krawler like tread.

You should probably say what you are putting these on and what they need to do for you, because opinions will vary.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 42146
Send a message via AIM to snowdemon Send a message via MSN to snowdemon Send a message via Yahoo to snowdemon
Toyo MT's for sure. I've had 2 sets on tow rigs and 3 other sets on wheelers. Best all around tire hands down. Like someone said, you need to air down but when you do they shine.

BFG's well I am a huge fan (i have 39" krawler red labels on my buggy) and I haven't seen the new T/A KM in action but they are probably a good tire. My complaint however on a street driven BFG at least the 2 sets i've had (All Terrain K/O and Mud Terrain T/A KO) is that they aren't worth a crap once they're past 50%. My toyo's have run nice and smooth all the way down.
snowdemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdemon View Post
Toyo MT's for sure. I've had 2 sets on tow rigs and 3 other sets on wheelers. Best all around tire hands down. Like someone said, you need to air down but when you do they shine.

BFG's well I am a huge fan (i have 39" krawler red labels on my buggy) and I haven't seen the new T/A KM in action but they are probably a good tire. My complaint however on a street driven BFG at least the 2 sets i've had (All Terrain K/O and Mud Terrain T/A KO) is that they aren't worth a crap once they're past 50%. My toyo's have run nice and smooth all the way down.
Good info to know as I've never ran the BFG, new or old in the past. I'm curious if anyone else out there is actually running the new T/A KM2's..........I've heard tons of good about the Toyos, but as mentioned the T/A KM2's are so new not many people have them yet to give a solid opinion.

Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2864
Any T/A KM2 owners out there?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 33539
I have now owned two sets of KM2s, but the second set isnt on the jeep yet. I had 35s first. Road-wise they were far better than the MTRs befor them, quiet, smooth, and rode really well. Off road they worked really well down around 8-9 psi, just grabbed and crawled right over everything. I had no complaints. Cant say anything about milage other than after about two thousand miles they still had 19/32s tread. Sold them and now I have a set in the 37" flavor. Cant wait to run them.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 86727
I have Toyo 285 MT's on my Jeep TJ with Pro Comp 1028 wheels and I bet one wheel and tire weights 100 lbs. The Toyo is a bad ass tire but it weights a ton, the BFG weights much less, if I could sell the Toyo's I would go with the BFG's. The 16" BFG KM2 in a 285 or 305 won't be out till Sept.

OK now go ahead and clown me on the 33" tire's

My other Jeep has 42"s on it.

-Ethan
Quad Teck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Another option seriously worth considering would be the new Pro Comp Xtreme M/T's. I've yet to hear any serious criticisms of them, and I personally love their performance compared to the Swampers I've run in the past. In the rocks, they seem every bit as good as the Irok's I loved - but are many orders of magnitude superior on asphalt.
RockMolester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 49424
That new Pro Comp should be a good tire. I believe it's made by Cooper and is a spin off of the Cooper STT which is a fantastic tire in my opinion.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMolester View Post
Another option seriously worth considering would be the new Pro Comp Xtreme M/T's. I've yet to hear any serious criticisms of them, and I personally love their performance compared to the Swampers I've run in the past. In the rocks, they seem every bit as good as the Irok's I loved - but are many orders of magnitude superior on asphalt.
They have a nice tread pattern but if they are anything like their XTerrain they will wear quick. My friend had them on his F150 and they wore down in a year just driving on asphalt.

I do agree though, they LOOK like a nice tire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in