Something a bit different to Memorialize Tom Guaraldo - Safety related - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
Something a bit different to Memorialize Tom Guaraldo - Safety related

As many of you know Tom Guaraldo recently passed away doing what we all love.
I am one of Tom's many friends from back in Virginia and we all want to do something to
remember Tom by and try to make something good come from his tragedy.

Trying to follow in Tom's footsteps I've talked with Poly Performance and they are offering free shipping
on their helmets to anyone who uses a promotional code and is located in the lower 48 United States. You can go to this page to look at the helmets:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...-1-c-1475.html
The promo code is: FREESHIPPING-ZAMP

Poly Performance is not only offering a nice deal on helmets to encourage safety on the trails
they are nice enough to take stickers I made up and ship them out with the invoice for each order.
The helmets are drop shipped for the most part so the stickers will NOT be in with the helmet. Below is a picture of the sticker.
I want to give a huge thanks to [email protected] for setting this up. I approached them and this is not a sales idea from them.
BTW if you do not get a sticker in with your invoice please let me know so we don't make extra work for Poly.

I know after Tom's passing there has been a lot of discussion about trail safety.
I really hope everyone on Pirate who doesn't already use a helmet on the trail or in comps is now considering it.
Take advantage of this unique offer with Poly and don't let safety slip out of your mind as time goes by.
Being safe is a great way to remember everyone we've lost recently in wheeling accidents!

I am also sending a bunch of the stickers to Larry out in Colorado and if anyone
else wants a bunch of stickers to give out let me know and I will mail them.
Its not practical to mail stickers to individuals given the huge audience

We Miss You Tom!
Attached Images

Last edited by whypave; 07-11-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: revise free shipping range
whypave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3937
Great idea! I hope people actually take you and Poly up on the offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.

Last edited by mrboyle; 07-10-2008 at 10:15 PM.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 64332
nice idea.
im gonna start bringing along my skateboard helmet. was planning on wearing it only for the crazy stuff but after seeing some of the accidents that have happen i may start wearing it more often

Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
Very cool idea.

It truely is a shame we have to loose somebody due to stuff like this---but hopefully with the loss safety can be thrown out there and maybe save another life....

crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crawlin'BC

Member # 21813
Great idea guys

Do you know if the free shipping includes Canadian orders
Team Crawlin'BC (Pro-Mod #250)
Team Brink Fab Motorsports #312 Co-Driver
Rich Walker

Find me on
CanadianZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 02:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41059
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
Just ordered.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37769
Awesome Idea. Wish I had waited to buy mine. After reading about the people who have died recently I went out and bought Protec skater helmets for the whole family!

I will say this too, my passenger and I wore our helmets for the first time this past weekend at Hot Springs. I was really surprised how little I noticed the helmet! I had planned to just wear it on obstacles and pull it off between trails. It was so unobtrusive that as the day wore on I just left it on the whole time. An added side benefit is I found that I felt safer so I was a lot more daring and aggressive with the jeep! I tried a bunch of stuff I was scared to do before!

Early in the day we ran a trail and afterwards I took off my helmet and noticed a big red mark across the back (my cage is painted red!). I had hit my head on the "B" pillar about half way up the trail. Now I don't know if it would have hurt me or knocked me out without the helmet but I do know I didn't even notice it with the helmet on!

And yes we did get the occasional stare and snicker but....fawk em. Its my brain and it my wife and kid that would suffer if I got hurt!

Again, great idea!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 37958
Thanks for setting that up Dave....
Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
I am not sure about freight for Canadian orders or other orders outside the US. I am checking into that.

Thanks to those that have replied so far and tell your friends. Having even one person so far say they ordered one says we might just save a few lives here and that makes me

Be safe out there.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 30323
Awesome idea Dave. Tom would be proud. I'll be ordering another helmet for my passenger too.
VTcivil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3906
Send a message via AIM to Jeepmangled87
Tom would like this, great idea!
Jeepmangled87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Great idea! Really sad to hear what happened with Tom...

Last edited by geberhard; 07-11-2008 at 10:30 AM.
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 32585
Ordered, thanks for offering free shipping for safety.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 7958
Thanks for doing this Dave, once I figure out how big my head is I am going to order one.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 21320
Im have been planning on getting a pair for me and my wife but never got around to it so Im ordering some up right now

edit: talked to a couple buddys and we ended up getting 6 helmets total!

Last edited by BCzuk; 07-11-2008 at 05:00 PM.
BCzuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
Zamps web site has a sizing chart here:
http://www.zamp-racing.net/SizingChart.html

Basically you measure your head and go from there.

I'm stoked to see people taking advantage of this. Thank Tom for the inspiration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin'YJ View Post
Thanks for doing this Dave, once I figure out how big my head is I am going to order one.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
I got some clarification and the free shipping offer is only available for addresses in the lower 48 states. The prices on shipping these days is getting to be crazy like everything else. Sorry.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crawlin'BC

Member # 21813
Cool, thanks for checking

In that grand scheme of things though, what's another $20 for shipping.....Nic, lemme know on Crawlin if you guys go ahead with that order.
Team Crawlin'BC (Pro-Mod #250)
Team Brink Fab Motorsports #312 Co-Driver
Rich Walker

Find me on
CanadianZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
That's a great attitude about the shipping. Its your head after all. if you order 6 helmets together that should save on shipping and more importantly it could save lives
Old 07-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 37769
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco View Post
Awesome Idea. Wish I had waited to buy mine. After reading about the people who have died recently I went out and bought Protec skater helmets for the whole family!

I will say this too, my passenger and I wore our helmets for the first time this past weekend at Hot Springs. I was really surprised how little I noticed the helmet! I had planned to just wear it on obstacles and pull it off between trails. It was so unobtrusive that as the day wore on I just left it on the whole time. An added side benefit is I found that I felt safer so I was a lot more daring and aggressive with the jeep! I tried a bunch of stuff I was scared to do before!

Early in the day we ran a trail and afterwards I took off my helmet and noticed a big red mark across the back (my cage is painted red!). I had hit my head on the "B" pillar about half way up the trail. Now I don't know if it would have hurt me or knocked me out without the helmet but I do know I didn't even notice it with the helmet on!

And yes we did get the occasional stare and snicker but....fawk em. Its my brain and it my wife and kid that would suffer if I got hurt!

Again, great idea!
I was thinking..even though I've already bought my helmets what are the chance of me getting 3 stickers to put on them? I didn't know Tom but it would start a conversation about safety and might save lives!

Last edited by cisco; 07-12-2008 at 07:48 AM.
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco View Post
An added side benefit is I found that I felt safer so I was a lot more daring and aggressive with the jeep! I tried a bunch of stuff I was scared to do before!
Here's an interesting point to ponder....(not being an ass...just posting this so people can think about it and discuss)

You feel safer so you take on more risk. Overall, are you any safer? Probably not much...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_homeostasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
The theory of risk homeostasis states that an individual has an inbuilt target level of acceptable risk which does not change. This level varies between individuals. When the level of acceptable risk in one part of the individual's life changes; there will be a corresponding rise/drop in acceptable risk elsewhere. The same, argues Wilde, is true of larger human systems (e.g. a population of drivers).

For example, in the famous Munich taxicab study, half of a fleet of cabs were equipped with antilock braking system (ABS) brakes, while the other half had older brake systems. The accident rate for both types of car (ABS and non-ABS) remained the same, because ABS-car drivers took more risks, assuming that ABS would take care of them. They raised their risk taking, assuming the ABS would then lower the real risks, leaving their "target level" of risk unchanged. The non-ABS drivers drove the same way, thinking that they had to be more careful, since ABS would not be there to help in case of a dangerous situation.

Similarly, in the late 1970s, the government of British Columbia, a province in western Canada, undertook a massive anti-drunk-driving campaign. They succeeded in reducing the accident rate (due to drunken driving) by nearly 18% over a four-month period. However, accidents caused by other factors increased by 19% during the same time. People took fewer risks driving while intoxicated, but more doing other dangerous actions on the road.

Wilde cites a multitude of other studies which show the same thing. Anti-smoking campaigns do not work; neither do industrial safety campaigns of most kinds. The massive increase in car safety features has had little effect on the overall accident rate or the cost of such accidents (the death rate from traffic accidents, however, has decreased).

Wilde argues that safety campaigns tend to "move risk-taking behaviour around," rather than reducing it. In order to increase safety, two things need to happen. First, people's future expectations need to be raised. Many studies have shown that those who value the future more highly have lower accident rates and less risk taking behaviour than those who discount the value of the future (an alternative explanation about why behaviours such as smoking are predominantly lower socio-economic class phenomena). Second, there needs to be direct incentives for people to behave safely. In some companies, direct payments to workers for zero accidents (and very small fines when accidents do happen) have massively lowered accident rates. The functional approach thus seems to be "much carrot, little bit of stick."
If you wear a helmet and drive the way you always did without a helmet....only then are you safer.

Further reading:
http://psyc.queensu.ca/target/index.html

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
I respect your opinion MT4Runner but I'd have to disagree. It doesn't take very risky behavior at all in a off road vehicle to end up bumping or hitting your head on a nearby bar. If you are wearing a helmet its going to help keep you safe. If you suddenly go from dirt roads to running the Hammers because you put on a helmet maybe your theory applies.

Do people speed more when they have their seatbelts on? Harnesses/belts and helmets are so much safer than they alternative they easily cancel out the effects of slightly riskier behavior IMHO.

How about you get a helmet and stick to dirt roads and then we'll sleep better knowing you are safe and can always quote really fancy Wikipedia words for us
Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cue

Member # 28682
Awesme idea guys and a great deal.

Keep it up.

Dirk
[SIZE="4"]Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants
Lube it or Loose it![/SIZE]
[size="4"]
[/size]

[size="4"]
[/size][/center]
Cue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Darn!

No helmets for fatheads like me .

I wear an XXXL hat/helmet=25.25 inches

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
That's a big dome! Perhaps call Zamp and see what they can do for you.

I'm sure lots of people are out wheeling this weekend and others coming up. Be safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
Darn!

No helmets for fatheads like me .

I wear an XXXL hat/helmet=25.25 inches

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in