Why dont' we use these instead of ps pumps? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Why don't we use gear pumps instead of ps pumps?

I don't know, I could be completely off base here. And this isn't necessarily a link to the exact pump I would think of using, just an example as it meets or exceeds the flow and pressure numbers that we generally think we need for out rear-steer and junk and they are made to run in that range (ie, no hot-rodding an innadequate pump). I haven't done the math but I assume a pulley could be made to keep it within its RPM range. They're also WAY cheaper than the aftermarket guys are charging for their souped-up crap that dies every year. There's two whole pages of pumps with different specs in my new Bailey catalog that just arrived. If people start arguing about specific specs I'll scan and post the pages so that they can pick what they think has the right specs.

http://baileynet.com/index.php?page=...leynum=252-162

While we're on the topic, what's the formula for figuring out rate reduction of pullies?

J. J.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by patooyee; 10-15-2008 at 08:58 AM.
patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Two things that come to mind right away...are they rated for continuous duty (the applications listed are things like dump bodies, lift gates etc), and is the input shaft supported well enough to take a pulley (overhung load vs. direct coupled)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2857
I used one of those for about a yr and a half. It was frickin awesome. Still got it on the parts shelf. I had to rig up a goofy pulley system for it. With the 2F motor, I wasn't concerned with going over the 3500 RPM limit of the pump, not by much. Keep in mind that the RPM limit they post is a continuous number - they are designed to be bolted to an engine that sits at 3500 RPM all day long, short bursts above are probably OK. I know I pushed mine to 4000 or so on several occasions. Now that I have a new motor with a 6000+ red line, I didn't think the pump would take it, so I hooked up 2 POS tc pumps, and it's honestly just about the same as the one gear-driven hydro pump. If you want the specs on the pump I have I can get em for ya - and I'll even make you a deal on it, pulley system included...

Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 61635
I know this has been talked about before and I know you do research so I wont tell you to go search. I thought I have a subscribed thread to one of them but I don't.

I am planning on using a Vickers VTM42 power steering pump. They have a higher in put speed from 5000 rpm to 7000 and flow rate from 1.5gpm to 7.5gpm. I am going to use the 5gpm at max rpm of 6000 with 2000psi. Shopping around I have found this pump for around $300 (IIRC). I don't believe that a regular power steering pump will handle my front and rear planetary steer axles. The cylinders are bigger and need more flow. Here are some links to the data for Vickers pumps.

http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/353.pdf
http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/m2052s.pdf
Old 10-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14094
Send a message via AIM to Hvy_Chevy
One of my friends (mainejeeps) is running a hydro pump off a lobster boat that's probably 40 years old.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
find millerxc on here. Surplus center had a gear pump that was $186 a couple years back that was pressure and flow reg'd, with the pressure adjustable. the flow was set at 7 gpm. continuous, made for a 3500 max speed. Okay, you turn 6 grand, put a larger pulley on it than the crank. now how slow are you at idle. He said it was the one the monster trucks run, and he talked to several of the monster truck crew guys. his is on his monster and still going strong. they take the rpm well. the dual reg'd one quit showing up on the site a while back so I gave up on it.
search for posts by millerxc and the 5 ton crazy thread.

for the fastest quick release extinguisher mounts available and UTV parts
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
ZAG

Member # 14113
it has been covered many times in here but people just dont believe regular hyrdo pump can out run your superhyper blingbling ps pumps.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...053&highlight=

Last edited by ZAG; 10-15-2008 at 11:36 AM.
ZAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAG View Post
it has been covered many times in here but people just dont believe regular hyrdo pump can out run your superhyper blingbling ps pumps.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...053&highlight=

HAHAHAA - Amen - one of your posts a few years back is what convinced me to try it in the first place...
Old 10-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf_cruiser View Post
I used one of those for about a yr and a half. It was frickin awesome. Still got it on the parts shelf. I had to rig up a goofy pulley system for it. With the 2F motor, I wasn't concerned with going over the 3500 RPM limit of the pump, not by much. Keep in mind that the RPM limit they post is a continuous number - they are designed to be bolted to an engine that sits at 3500 RPM all day long, short bursts above are probably OK. I know I pushed mine to 4000 or so on several occasions. Now that I have a new motor with a 6000+ red line, I didn't think the pump would take it, so I hooked up 2 POS tc pumps, and it's honestly just about the same as the one gear-driven hydro pump. If you want the specs on the pump I have I can get em for ya - and I'll even make you a deal on it, pulley system included...
I'd like to get those specs and any videos of you working your system and maybe specs of the resevoir that you used and how you connected it to the pump.

J. J.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Just spoke to Bailey. They are not rated for side-loaded bearings, ie pulleys. Mento to be shaft-driven. They did say that certainly some are pulley-driven though and that it would just reduce the life expectancy.

J. J.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
Just spoke to Bailey. They are not rated for side-loaded bearings, ie pulleys. Mento to be shaft-driven. They did say that certainly some are pulley-driven though and that it would just reduce the life expectancy.

J. J.

so build a custom mount so it is facing backwards. run a shaft from an idler pully to the shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 14197
Send a message via Yahoo to BigBluOx
Why not electric-drive the pump? Would the current draw of the required DC motor be too much for an automotive charging system?
'83 'Burban-'85 GLH-t-'87 Shelby Lancer #189
BigBluOx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
I thought about that and the general belief is that yes, it would be FAR too much draw.

I suppose that nothing says it has to be crank-driven though. You could drive it off of an a/c, alternator, or water pump pulley.

J. J.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 89925
you can use a carrier bearing in between the pulley and the pump to take away thee side load on the shaft
njjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 2857
Here's a shot of the old setup. I wound up welding a threaded rod to the tip of the pump shaft, to stick out and give something to tighten the pulley down with. Found the pulley and splined piece at a local store specializing in such items. Pump flows 1.22 cu in per rev and is rated for 3500 RPM, and 3000 psi. I had run the numbers at one point, and I think I was getting around 5 gpm at idle, and like 15 to 20 up at max RPM. It uses standard O-ring ports, I believe #10 or 12 on the pressure side, and #16 on the inlet. PM me if you're interested in the pump - I'll give u a smoking deal and include the fittings n stuff...

Only vid I know of is this one -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sakpC4RMXA

Not a really great example - but it was fast enough to kep up with a 2.5" ram up front, and 3" in the rear simultaneously...
Attached Images

Last edited by elf_cruiser; 10-15-2008 at 03:19 PM.
elf_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Do you have a Brand name and part number for the pump you were using?

J. J.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
Quote:

While we're on the topic, what's the formula for figuring out rate reduction of pullies?

J. J.
To figure rpms it would be rpms of the drive pulley times diameter of the drive pulley divided by the diameter of the driven pulley.
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 2857
Quote:
Do you have a Brand name and part number for the pump you were using?

J. J.
Prince sp20a20

Here's a link to the specs and the rest of that line,
Prince Pumps

What I was originally planning was stacking 2 of em. You can them that bolt together, the front pump has a female output shaft on the back. Unfortunately, I couldn't get two of em to fit next to the motor where they needed to go...
Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 33536
extend the shaft and/or couple it to something with a double shear type of mount so there is no side loading on the original shaft with the pulley..
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 30212
I've been thinkin of this. I work on forklifts for a living and I have 2-3 of these sittin in my tool box. Almost never have a problem with them leaking.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford View Post
I've been thinkin of this. I work on forklifts for a living and I have 2-3 of these sittin in my tool box. Almost never have a problem with them leaking.
How are they driven on a fork-lift?

J. J.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 106145
I have seen them mounted in front of the crank pulley, on a shaft runs from the crank to the pump, I have also seen them mounted directly in front of the crank using an atriflex coupling.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
a pump off a cummins NTC is a big gear driven pump, looks to have some fancy valving off the back so I suspect its got flow pressure control
I popped the hood after seeing this thread the first time but couldnt find any good links online with the part number.
they run twin steering boxes on dumptrucks off those pumps so should be up to the task
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Here's what I'm envisioning: One of those pumps mounted right up againt the radiator with the shaft pointing toward the engine with small driveshaft with a slipyoke on it and two small u-joints ... similar to a steering shaft almost going to the crank.

J. J.

Last edited by patooyee; 10-15-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 100827
Send a message via AIM to smewhtguy
You need some type of reduction unless the pump is rated for + 3500 rpm use. For a deisel direct drive off the crank would be great. I think you could make a small jack shaft and run it with a pulley and not have any side load on the pumps bearings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in