RubberBelly Racing 09 KOH LCQ/Stock Mod rebuild - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #76 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8990
I liked it for the most part, we need to put lower gears in the axles to help light the motor quicker out of the hole. With the 1.8 Tracker case, 2.62 in the 300, and 5.42s in the axles it seemed to run the best in 1.8 low range. This is where I ran it in the desert section of the LCQ race. With it in 2.62 it was not fast enough but in 1.8 3rd gear was too fast for the suspension so I ran in 1.8 in second gear and let the rev limiter keep my speed down but allowed me more by going to third if I felt the need (which I did to keep the back end from passing the front at one point and time). The converter stalls pretty high already, we don't want it any higher so we are going to try something like a 6.60 ring and pinion or somewhere around there.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are"
John Wooden

Jeff Knoll: What do you need to see anyway, the spotter is driving, your just a monkey at that point, the only thing you need is to follow orders, and have brass balls.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wheatfield is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #77 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Send a message via AIM to inphobic
Just wanted to let everyone know that the King of the Hammers newsletter has been posted on our website. (It's too large to post on here though sorry.) Jake

www.rubberbellyracing.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inphobic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 98363
Quote:
Originally Posted by inphobic View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that the King of the Hammers newsletter has been posted on our website. (It's too large to post on here though sorry.) Jake

www.rubberbellyracing.com
Why do Tracker guys always view everything else as too large?!?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #79 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Whats funny is I can't believe how much larger the tracker was sitting side by side with Josh Crowes buggy.

Last edited by inphobic; 04-02-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #80 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Here is some video Adam put together of the KOH trip:
YouTube - Rubberbelly Racing KOH 2009

Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #81 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
I am really behind on keeping our thread updated. Here is our RROCK #1 update from way back in april...

Scott and I were simply on this weekend and the car was working great! Outside
of one course we were running near perfect with only one back. The courses
were no slouch either; Tom picked up right where All Stock Nationals left off
with long technical courses. Our second course would end for us with a broken main cap on the
front axle. The RBR crew pulled together and got the car repaired with out missing
a course! The scores were still very tight headed into the afternoon and it
looked doubtful that we would have a chance at a podium with the 45 point penalty
due to the mechanical failure on Course C1. However we stayed on our
game and when the dust settled (literally) we found ourselves in 3rd place! What
an awesome finish for our team! We were all ecstatic! Can’t wait for WE-Rock
May 29th thru 31st back at Hannibal Rocks!

ahh hate the internet filters here at work. I'll get the link for the photos updated tonight. Jake

Last edited by inphobic; 06-10-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
I am really behind on keeping our thread updated. Here is our RROCK #1 update from way back in april...

Scott and I were simply on this weekend and the car was working great! Outside
of one course we were running near perfect with only one back. The courses
were no slouch either; Tom picked up right where All Stock Nationals left off
with long technical courses. Our second course would end for us with a broken main cap on the
front axle. The RBR crew pulled together and got the car repaired with out missing
a course! The scores were still very tight headed into the afternoon and it
looked doubtful that we would have a chance at a podium with the 45 point penalty
due to the mechanical failure on Course C1. However we stayed on our
game and when the dust settled (literally) we found ourselves in 3rd place! What
an awesome finish for our team! We were all ecstatic! Can’t wait for WE-Rock
May 29th thru 31st back at Hannibal Rocks!

ahh hate the internet filters here at work. I'll get the link for the photos updated tonight. Jake
Saw your clip on Xtreme Sunday.

You look better on TV
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #83 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
No doubt! They did make me look way better than in real life!
They did an awesome job of editing the footage as well!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 47428
my all time favorite stock mod. keep up the good work.

-Tristan

87 Tintop cut to shit Low Rider, 4.3 TBI, 700R, 203/205 Doubler, Dana 44 HD Front, Dana 60 FF Rear, DOM Cage, Front & Rear 3 Link on Coils, 37 Xterrains

[CENTER][COLOR="Black"]eccentric r/c - Everything R/C for less - Free Shipping
eccentricrc.com[/COLOR][/CENTER]
roczuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 98363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Saw your clip on Xtreme Sunday.

You look better on TV
Ditto! We were at The Rock Shop dropping the the motor/tranny back into the the Bad Taco, and we had to take a break to watch our friend "Jake HollyGood" on Xtreme.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 26115
the people demand updates!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #87 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Well work on the car for 2010 has started. The life of trying to keep a clean stock mod rig.

Plans for 2010 are pretty simple and mostly cosmetic. We are going to drop the t-case and doubler to make sure they are still looking good. New front and rear bumpers, replace a tube in the cage and see if we can't work the rear suspension to make the car climb better.

Here is the start of the new quarter panel being skinned.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #88 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
SO the body work is pretty well done on the quarter panels. So I am turning my attention to the rear suspension. I had never check to see what the calculator said about our suspension since we built it. So I remeasured and tossed in a few variables for axle weight and such. I am pretty happy with the numbers. The suspension works great in the rocks. No Jacking or weird charistics. It just doesn't climb as good as I think it should. This rig will see Hannibal 6 times in 2010 Dayton twice and the man mad course of Rausch creek once. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 8937
When you say it doesn't climb well what does it do? Does it seem to bounce when you need to hit climbs with some throttle? Just by looking at the numbers I would think your A/S is too high. It would also help if you could stretch the lower links out, but that isn't as important as the A/S. If I was going to guess I would say it climbs the stuff in PA better than the obstacles in Dayton or Hannibal?

September 24-25, Wild West Motorsports Park, Reno, NV

#199/4499 - Superchips, Maxxis, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Yukon, JE Reel, Rugged Radios, Lifetime LED, Sway-a-way.

mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 15461
Those numbers look similar to what I had on the first version of the tracker I built, I lowered the AS to about 65%, the IC was in front of the front bumper and it was a night and day difference. Before I couldnt stay in the throttle on a climb with the tires spinning or all sorts of bad things would happen, after, I could stay in and it would stay planted and straight and the front end wouldnt wash to the side anymore.

Heres some links to see my before and after, if it'll give you some ideas.

http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/v...t=2325&start=0

http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/v...t=6951&start=0
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #91 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Yeah let me see if adam can help me out with some climbing videos. It really doesn't act bad at all when it climbs. The car is very stable, I really expected the AS to be much lower than what the calculator says. Correct me if I am wrong but I really expect the car to hop with a high AS value and low traction.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 27231
Send a message via AIM to PUjeeper
I'll see if I can find some of the photos I have from ASN, but it seems on long sweeping momentum type of climbs the rig seems to want to body roll to the pass side and kind of jackknife the driver front up in the air.
PUjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 39726
I didnt know you guys were doing KOH.Cool.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 77698
I'll try and get some climbing video's posted today Jake give me a second to go through them all.

Adam

jar73186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #95 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8990
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenfuture View Post
I didnt know you guys were doing KOH.Cool.
If you are talking about Rubber Belly Racing we are not running in KOH this year, If we get the car done I am thinking about taking it out to KOH just to watch and wheel. We ran in the LCQ last year, PUjeeper is running in the LCQ this year.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are"
John Wooden

Jeff Knoll: What do you need to see anyway, the spotter is driving, your just a monkey at that point, the only thing you need is to follow orders, and have brass balls.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #96 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8990
Quote:
Yeah let me see if adam can help me out with some climbing videos. It really doesn't act bad at all when it climbs. The car is very stable, I really expected the AS to be much lower than what the calculator says. Correct me if I am wrong but I really expect the car to hop with a high AS value and low traction.
Is the COG messurement just a guess (top of the trans)?

I don't ever seem to have a good view of what the back of the car does on big climbs as I am in front most of the time. From what I see the front gets up the climb pretty good but when the rear hits the front gets light and as Jon said the car seems to pitch to the passenger side.

We had talked about building a "J" arm for the rear lowers to go up and over the axle so we could get more lenght out of it. Which at the same time we could raise the axle side mount to lower the AS and move the IC foward.

We could remove the added in non stock crossmember that the arms attach to now and run the lowers farther foward to a stock location crossmember and build mounts off of the frame for the uppers. Both ideas would give us a longer lower arm and the ability to change AS and IC.

Scott

John Wooden

Last edited by wheatfield; 01-03-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 8937
Do you run any weight in your front tires?

#199/4499 - Superchips, Maxxis, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Yukon, JE Reel, Rugged Radios, Lifetime LED, Sway-a-way.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #98 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8990
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruck44 View Post
Do you run any weight in your front tires?
No we don't. 9"/D44 hybrid front so we don't run weight in fear of breaking more parts.

John Wooden

Last edited by wheatfield; 01-03-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 8937
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatfield View Post
No we don't. 9"/D44 hybrid front so we don't run weight in fear of breaking more parts.
I know its been done successfully with a 44 front end. What's the wheelbase again? Front to rear weight bias? I would guess that between the wheelbase and light front end you can't expect it to keep up with some of the other guys in the class. When I had a 92" wheelbase I could hardly climb anything, but I didn't want to run water in my tires for the same reason you don't. I finally gave in, and it was an incredible difference. I was running a 60 with stock shafts, but 37's. Never broke it.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #100 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8990
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruck44 View Post
I know its been done successfully with a 44 front end. What's the wheelbase again? Front to rear weight bias? I would guess that between the wheelbase and light front end you can't expect it to keep up with some of the other guys in the class. When I had a 92" wheelbase I could hardly climb anything, but I didn't want to run water in my tires for the same reason you don't. I finally gave in, and it was an incredible difference. I was running a 60 with stock shafts, but 37's. Never broke it.
Thanks for the help Jesse. Wheelbase is 89", weight bias I can't say for sure but when it was on the crane of shame at Hannibal with the hook at the front of the cage it was just about level. So pretty close to 50/50 but that is a guess. I guess we could try some weight, so how much?

We need to do something, it just won't make the big climbs, we really have not had too much trouble other than at the All Stock Nationals in the shoot out. I believe Kurt Shramovich has shortened his wheelbase on the TJ I think to the low 90" range and he climbs really good. At one time I thought he was running water in the front but I would also think a TJ would have more front weight bias.

John Wooden

Last edited by wheatfield; 01-03-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in