Rockwell Front Hub Flip...New Tech - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
HARDliner

Member # 120751
Rockwell Front Hub Flip...New Tech

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject, but I had not seen a really clean answer. So here is what I did. I removed the 12 studs in the knuckle....countersunk the holes in the spindle with an 82 degree countersink....bought 24 flush mount bolts / 3/8-16 x 1". When you countersink the spindle and install the flush bolts....you don't need to machine or grind anything on the hub or wheel studs. I will try to get some pics of this this weekend if anyone is interested. Total cost was $3.78 for the bolts (I already had the 82 degree countersink).

"Pirate is where proper grammar and spelling go to die"
73FJBUGGY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
Send a message via Yahoo to 1SAWB
this was done many many years ago . i did mine

in the work's

Das Buggy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1SAWB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73FJBUGGY View Post
There has been a lot of discussion on this subject, but I had not seen a really clean answer. So here is what I did. I removed the 12 studs in the knuckle....countersunk the holes in the spindle with an 82 degree countersink....bought 24 flush mount bolts / 3/8-16 x 1". When you countersink the spindle and install the flush bolts....you don't need to machine or grind anything on the hub or wheel studs. I will try to get some pics of this this weekend if anyone is interested. Total cost was $3.78 for the bolts (I already had the 82 degree countersink).
Nope... nothing new about this mod.

I'm not a fan of countersunk bolts but whatever floats your boat. Studs have more strength then bolts and the stock ones can be made to work fine. Cut the stud off flush with the top of the nut, grind some of the lug bolt stud down and walla.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 96321
I don't understand why many guys waste all the time to counter sink an already fairly thin piece of metal and make it weaker. The spindle is a well know weak part of a rockwell. Its extremely simple. When you press out your wheel studs to flip your hubs grind or machine down the back of the head of the stud maybe at most 3/16 to 8th inch. I machined mine to the rib on the head. This way you don't mess with the spindle and your not affecting the strength of the stud. mine have been fine for over 2yrs now.
Slayer84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
HARDliner

Member # 120751
Many ways to skin a cat....Even if this idea might not be new to many of you...I had not seen a write up on it...so I thought I would give some info. The spindle is thick enough to handle the countersink and the flush bolts have the same tensile strength as the stud. It takes less time to countersink the spindle than chuck 12 studs in the lathe and machine them. To each their own....I only put this up for the one guy who might need the info.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
flush bolts have the same tensile strength as the stud.
Wrong!

Quote:

It takes less time to countersink the spindle than chuck 12 studs in the lathe and machine them.
Orely? Maybe for you, but I just use a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut off wheel and walla done... How hard can it be?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 86524
ive never done this mod, dont have rockwells but i just gotta say that at least its tech being posted to try and help people and not the bullcrap that gen4x4 seems to attract sometimes. Even if its not the way you would do it, i like that its aimed to answer questions rather than someone wanting everyone to come running to help him. Just my $.02
Old 01-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12741
Send a message via Yahoo to steve gerstner
Remove the studs, they are junk grade 5. Use grade 8 bolts 1.00" long and a timken 3926 bearing race on the inner bearing, this race stands .125 taller that the 3920. You will only need to remove a small amount from the head of the wheel studs. Have fun.
steve gerstner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Wrong!

Orely? Maybe for you, but I just use a 4 1/2" grinder with a cut off wheel and walla done... How hard can it be?
I dont know I think given the choice I would use a lathe over a grinder any day of the week. Something about pride in workmanship, and precision. ...I used a grinder though because I didn't have a lathe. I like Steves mod.
bagman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 31569
Send a message via AIM to hybrid-theory
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gerstner View Post
Remove the studs, they are junk grade 5. Use grade 8 bolts 1.00" long and a timken 3926 bearing race on the inner bearing, this race stands .125 taller that the 3920. You will only need to remove a small amount from the head of the wheel studs. Have fun.
I think I would listen to this guy!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sunfire Offroad (812)623-3473 The best customer service you can get!! Period!
hybrid-theory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
HARDliner

Member # 120751
Tough crowd huh? Your rig is your chance to do whatever you want. I merely was giving my direction in some detail to anyone who might find it helpful. My mod is strong, leaves plenty of material on the spindle and uses grade 8, 1", socket flat head bolts. Landslide's response of "wrong" shows his ignorance. My Father has run a machine shop for the last 40 years and I have been with him fabricating more things than you can imagine from one off milled and machined small parts to fabricated-from-scatch bridge cranes. BigDusty seems to understand the point and Steve seems to know his stuff....his way shows thought and design. I'm also with Bagman about the precision mods...I'm not big on half ass grinding if I can machine it.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
BDA

Member # 77197
Countersunk

I too countersunk with hub flip. I started to turn the face of the hub, but decided it would be better to countersink, than to take strength away from the hub, or stud.
A counter sunk head provides more contact area with less "shear length". Countersinking the spindle will not take away strength as long as the countersink does not go so low that the screw head is below flush (so no material in that void now).

Machine when you can, grind when you can't
Attached Images

BDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 20276
Why isnt your spindles seated all the way in the last pic. I think the countersink is stronger if you use grage 8 or better bolts. Plus the bigger bolt head can take more pressure load over a 9/16 head bolt. And it spends the load out over the spindle more to.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 86081
My 2, If you are going to pound it like you stole it leave as much material on it as you can. There is always a weak link.I did the grade 8 and ground a smig.
killerblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 52710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA View Post
I too countersunk with hub flip. I started to turn the face of the hub, but decided it would be better to countersink, than to take strength away from the hub, or stud.
A counter sunk head provides more contact area with less "shear length". Countersinking the spindle will not take away strength as long as the countersink does not go so low that the screw head is below flush (so no material in that void now).

Machine when you can, grind when you can't
Its going to be fun getting those allen head screws out in two years.

jpmassey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 32466
Send a message via Yahoo to Greatlakeoffroad
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmassey View Post
Its going to be fun getting those allen head screws out in two years.

Greatlakeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
BDA

Member # 77197
Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlakeoffroad View Post
x2
Anti-seize is your friend - the good stuff (silver)

BOSTIK
NEVER-SEEZ - REGULAR GRADE
BRUSH-TOP - NSBT-4

"formulated with copper, graphite, aluminum and other ingredients to protect metal parts against rust, corrosion and seizure up to 1800F".

If you wheel without it here you torch it off.

BDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
HARDliner

Member # 120751
Thanks BDA....your pics are great and show what I'm talking about. If anyone is reading all this and is new to Rockwells and wants to flip his hubs....this is just one of the ways to do it. Your Rig...your choice. I like this way the best and feel it is the cleanest, cheapest way to do a strong flip.

Last edited by 73FJBUGGY; 01-08-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
that guy

Member # 10887
Send a message via AIM to MAD MAC Send a message via Yahoo to MAD MAC
Quote:
Thanks BDA....your pics are great and show what I'm talking about. If anyone is reading all this and is new to Rockwells and wants to flip his hubs....this is just one of the ways to do it. Your Rig...your choice. I like this way the best and feel it is the cleanest, cheapest way to do a strong flip.

Strong is doubtful flat head screws grade 8 or not, this is not the application for them.
#1 flathead screws have way to much friction load in order for them to be tightened properly.
#2 Your never going to get all of the countersinks at an equal separation evenly on the bolt circle, this will cause uneven loading on the bolt heads which will start snapping bolt heads off.

I would not recommend this mod to anyone its not safe.

Period

Listen to Steve G he knows what he is doing.

I am just a machinist, I don't know much

Mac
MAD MAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
HARDliner

Member # 120751
You are welcome to your opinion....I feel it is incorrect. The mod IS strong and my Machinist Father with 40 years of experience agrees. I had no problem making a very clean and perfect countersink with no excessive side load on the bolt. Remember...this axle was designed for a fully loaded Duece and a half....the 2,500lbs I am putting on each axle is way below it's limit. Ask BDA....have you been snapping bolts on this "very unsafe mod," as Mad Mac would have us believe?

P.S. We all agree that Steve knows a thing or two...go Steve!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 24300
Grinding the back of the wheel studs is a much better option than the countersank spindle bolts, it's not like the wheel studs are going to rip from the hub. An even better option is to machine the hubs and recess the back of the wheel studs.

Last edited by BlueAngel; 01-09-2009 at 09:20 AM.
BlueAngel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 130690
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel View Post
grinding the back of the wheel studs is a much better option than the countersank spindle bolts, it's not like the wheel studs are going to rip from the hub. An even better option is to machine the hubs and recess the back of the wheel studs.
x2.
swampnorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 130296
why not counter bore your hubs so the head of the stud is at or below the surface.then if you want to flip out you still have the full head
hoof n it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 1229
Trimming the spindle studs (or getting shorter ones) and machining off some surface from the backside of the hub is the strongest way to do the hub flip. It's the thickest & strongest component of the spindle / spindle studs / hub and wheel stud equation. Then, the wheel studs are recessed some and do not need to be machined down or have the grinder taken to them.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
HARDliner

Member # 120751
It's funny how controversial this mod seems to be...There are usually multiple ways to accomplish the same task. Countersink, grind, recess, whatever you want to do is your business. Countersunk spindles have been beat mercilessly and had no trouble, but anything can be broken. I just wanted to give some details out to those thinking of doing a flip. On another note, I ended up flipping back out because I wanted more width...no biggie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in