LSx Intake tube? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
LSx Intake tube?

I'm workin on a customers jeep right now and I've got the same problem that I ran into on another vehicle a while back. It's a 5.3 Vortec, and the throttle body aims straight out the front of the motor and I cant figure out a way to get the MAF and filter to fit. I was thinkin that I could use a 4" steel mandrel bend to put the filter and MAF over the top of one of the valve covers, but even with the tightest bend radius the tube would still be into the radiator. I only have about 7" from the TB to the Radiator to work with.

I'm sure some of you have had this issue before, what did you use for an intake tube? I really need some kinda elbow thats fairly flat, but I haven't been able to find anything that'll work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your Source for: CNC Cutting & Engraving, Cages, Custom Suspension, Complete Vehicle Builds, and more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Mckenzie's has pretty tight rubber elbows

JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
wouldn't happen to know the dimensions on one of those would you? There's no specs and no photo there, so hard to tell if it'd work.

Your Source for: CNC Cutting & Engraving, Cages, Custom Suspension, Complete Vehicle Builds, and more!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 70555
intakehoses.com

7" is alot of room These work, you can trim them and fit them in about 4".

http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=CHEW

http://www.mandmfab.com/
rock mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Fuck yeah! that's just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkBug View Post
Fuck yeah! that's just what I was looking for. Thanks!
you can get those locally
Donaldson sells them, and they have a pdf catalogue on their site to get pn from
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 05:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
We used a stainless J-tube on my and cut it back to sit the air filter right on the intake. We also had to do a cowl CJ hood...
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6494
If you're not opposed to spending some coin on a little bling, Street & Performance (hotrodlane.com) has some pretty sweet air filters with the maf built into them. I put one on Mom's junk. You can kinda see it here, it's got a rag and 2x4 in front of it holding up the rad.
[SIZE="4"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I][COLOR="Magenta"]#914 Pampered Chef Buggy[/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][U][COLOR="Blue"]Companies we're proud to work with[/COLOR][/U][/SIZE]
[COLOR="Blue"]East Coast Gear Supply[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Reid Racing[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]RCV Performance Axles[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]Rose Grinding & MFG[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Single Source Welding[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Wheat"]Northern member of MUD DEVILS[/COLOR][/B]
EasyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 39492
I just built an intake on a force fed LS desert car that had about 4-1/2" between the intake and back of the radiator fans. I used a super tight (~2.5" CLR on a 4" ID tube!) blue silicone 90* out of the throttle body and built a 4" aluminum intake to the filter housing.

The last "tight" 4" 90*s I got from McKenzies weren't very tight at all, probably around 3 or 3.5" CLR. I have had better luck getting the really tight ones (2.5" CLR) from Butches in Vegas.

Last edited by reddman; 04-04-2009 at 12:39 PM.
reddman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 26468
Send a message via AIM to BigWoodyWag
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock mafia View Post
intakehoses.com

I'll second www.intakehoses.com

The premier podcast for those that make Off-Road & ULTRA4 Racing the toughest, most diverse motorsport in the world.

On--->>>

#555 Triple Nickel Racing,
BigWoodyWag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1636
What about using a reducer to put the MAF right on the throttle body and the filter right on the MAF? I know I've seen it. Where do I get that reducer?
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 26468
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
What about using a reducer to put the MAF right on the throttle body and the filter right on the MAF? I know I've seen it. Where do I get that reducer?
I have an LS1 with truck pulleys and the truck intake. Straight out gets me into that top idler pulley and radiator. Right angle would have gotten me into my upper radiator hose.

I used a 45 degree Rubber Elbow and Reducing Insert from www.intakehoses.com from TB to MAF, then attached my K&N directly to the MAF.
Because the TB is a 4" OD and the MAF is 3.75" OD.

40R375 Reducing Insert 4" OD to 3.75" ID $8.59
1845L40 Rubber Elbow 4" ID X 45 Degree $14.40

The K&N I came up with was the 599-RU-4250 which is short and 3.75" ID to slip over the MAF from Jegs for $38.99
JEGS
Flange Dia.- F: 3.75'', 95 mm
Base Outside Dia.: 5.375'', 137 mm
Top Outside Dia.: 4.375'', 111 mm
Length- L: 5'', 127 mm
Top Style: Rubber
Flange Length-FL: 0.625'', 16 mm
Flange Angle-FA: 0
Flange Offset: 0''

Here is mine before I replaced an accordian stock style with the Intake Hoses elbow, but it is identical except now rather than accordian looking it is smooth thick rubber, and overall OD is smaller. I found that the accordian style would still move just enough to hit that top idler pulley and had worn a hole in the bottom of it.

The premier podcast for those that make Off-Road & ULTRA4 Racing the toughest, most diverse motorsport in the world.

On--->>>

Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Thanks that helped!
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 24640
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock mafia View Post
intakehoses.com

I just ordered some stuff from them to make a (don't laugh) 5.7 TBI cold air intake. Good quality stuff and they shipped it quick as shit. Talking to the guy it seemed like they could get a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't listed.
jmhinescj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 2800
you need a cobrahead.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 87698
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post

got mine from intakehoses.com Part # 90hl40r35, reducing elbow 90 degree 4"ID to 3.5"ID about $17 with shipping $24.44

fasten your seat belt, it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your rig
----

NRA LIFE MEMBER

----
beefdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 26468
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefdawg View Post
got mine from intakehoses.com Part # 90hl40r35, reducing elbow 90 degree 4"ID to 3.5"ID about $17 with shipping $24.44
What did your 3.5" MAF come out of?
I looked for a smaller one for a little while thinking I could fit it a little better.

On--->>>

Old 04-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 25857
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyXJ View Post
If you're not opposed to spending some coin on a little bling, Street & Performance (hotrodlane.com) has some pretty sweet air filters with the maf built into them. I put one on Mom's junk. You can kinda see it here, it's got a rag and 2x4 in front of it holding up the rad.
Nice find, I'm about to pony up and order one, it will make my whole intake situation a lot easier.

Question, how do these motors run if the mass air sensor dies? I don't think I'd be able to run to the parts store for a a replacement sensor that would go into this unit if I had problems at a race/competition.

I thought I was having MAFS problems last year at a comp and found the mafs had come disconnected, but I was also having problems with a clogged fuel filter so I don't know if it was lack of mafs or lack of fuel that was making the motor run like total shit(completely un drivable). If I could still finish a comp if the sensor died I'm ready to order this.

DRIVER: Matt Happick
Thanks to: Appalachian Offroad Inc 410-848-2942

92redyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 24314
Fiber Tech in El Cojin SP? Has the short one in stock..... It is only like 4" Cobra

Life isn't fair, get used to it now and you will be set for life.

Buggy-Cromo,
No Limit Crew
built Ls3 418 dual steer portals, manual 4l80e.

JV ASSASSIN IFS CHASSIS
PORTALS 418 LS3 4L80E

75 FABRICATION

Last edited by tjmark; 04-06-2009 at 04:15 PM.
tjmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 6557
3.5 maf is on ls1s stock
Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 26468
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatt View Post
3.5 maf is on ls1s stock
ummmm I get that.....

Every GM LS MAF I have laid hands on is 3.75", I know there are 3.5"s out there so what did they come on? Certain trucks? Certain year camaro's?

On--->>>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in