Ft.Wainwright Alaska Offroad Park (Update) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25517
Send a message via Yahoo to ffdustyw
Ft.Wainwright Alaska Offroad Park (Update)

Been holding back for a while on this to see how things would pan out but I figure it is time to give an update with things more or less put in stone. Ft. Wainwright Offroad Park is fully approved and an area is established. There will also be drag races this summer on the airfield taxi way one weekend every month during the summer and a full scale Motocross course being built be 1st SGT Shepard. 1st SGT has been instrumental in pushing this through for the boys. If you know who he is next time you see him buy him a beer! Great guy and dedicated to outdoor motorsports and taking care of his people. He has been running up the motocross side and I have been tasked with designing the first step of the offroad portion. This has also involved Kevin Knight of Artic Offroad and Eric Whitebread and support from other user groups in the area like NORAKOR and Frozen Axles Offroad. Thanks for all the Input guys and your help in the future will involve putting some sweat into this park to build the best trail system we can. We have a good start with natural features. Today me and Kieth (Subranger) went out with snow machines to survey trails and flag areas where we should punch new trails. We are trying to create a trail system that fully inter connects. This way depending on which way you run a trail you never run the same trail twice. The area in question is smaller but has some great features and a ton of promise and will be great for first time wheelers to fully modified hardcore vehicles. To be honest some of the stuff had me double thinking wether I would take my truck up it. We have one area that is an old quarry that climbs roughly 300ft in a matter of 2000ft. Im the middle there is a bypass that still looks like a fun climb. I took several pictures and will be posting them here soon.
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Times New Roman"]97 Dodge 1500 Dueces, OEM spool/ARB, 54" Baja Claws, 16" Coilovers, Atlas II 3.8:1, PSC Full Hydro, Hughes Engines 408c.i. F.A.S.T/46re with 48re internals[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Olive"][SIZE="4"]Kodiak Dodge Build:[/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR="YellowGreen"][SIZE="3"]https://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702415
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]Dodge,Duck, Dip, Dive, & Dodge[/SIZE][/COLOR]
ffdustyw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25517
Map of area lay out and proposed trails. Me an Kieth went out and surveyed the area and locations for new trails today. Thanks for the help today Kieth! This is a good start and I imagine with more help when the troops get back we will be able to submit plans for more trails once the area is fully explored.

[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Times New Roman"]97 Dodge 1500 Dueces, OEM spool/ARB, 54" Baja Claws, 16" Coilovers, Atlas II 3.8:1, PSC Full Hydro, Hughes Engines 408c.i. F.A.S.T/46re with 48re internals[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Olive"][SIZE="4"]Kodiak Dodge Build:[/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR="YellowGreen"][SIZE="3"]https://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702415
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 25517
This is a picture of the technical hillclimb quarry crawler area. The ground is a consistency of rock and mud and at the top is a large rock formation that looks like it could tear to pieces a comp buggy. It is approximately 200ft wide and 2000ft long. It has two sides that could be crawled. One side easier than the other. In the middle there is a bypass that looks technical to get on but will save you from having to climb out the top. Some work will have to be done at the top so you can climb out the top.

This is the bypass in the middle.

The rock formation about 3/4 the way up.

The top where work would be needed to make climbable. This would connect to the bypass and go to the exit at the top.

View from 3/4 the way up looking down.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 04-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25517
view from the top of the quarry.

View into the quarry from the top showing the bypass trail.

Another view from the top of the quarry if you can make it. from here this connects to established trail system so you have an easy way out.

View of the rock formation from the top.

Rock quarry #2 easier straight forward hill climb and one cut that looks like it would kick you in the *** and test out your vehicles flex.

View from the top.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25517
View from rock quarry two looking down on the mud drag area.

Picture of a proposed entrance to a new trail off the main road. There are a couple spots like this along the main road where we are proposing to have new trail entrances.

There will be more to come once some of the snow disappears and areas are more accessible. This map is the first step in the process for approval in building new trails through environmental. Dpw will be cutting some of the trails via Dozer and we will try and do what we can with chainsaws and volunteer manpower. I think cutting open trails with a chainsaw and let tires do the rest is probably the best.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Old 04-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 55444
You got me subscribed. Make it a goodun.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 101125
Nice job! I had read one of your earlier threadsand was wondering about this just the other day for some reason. I'll probably never get that far north to see it in person, so keep the pics coming! Looks like some nice potential there!
FJCruisin_Wa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47600
Thank you from fellow service members from afar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as well as pirate4x4!!\
2D EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2D EDGE View Post
Thank you from fellow service members from afar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a civilian but served in the Coast Guard 1995-2000. I am doing this for a buddy (Luke Kinkade) who is currently in the Desert serving. This was his idea but he had more important things to tend to. Thanks Luke! We're getting her done brother!
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Last edited by ffdustyw; 04-11-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 117776
I would love to go up to Alaska for a month or two. How expensive is lodgeing up there?
66Halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Good to hear

That is some excellent progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCruisin_Wa View Post
Nice job! I had read one of your earlier threadsand was wondering about this just the other day for some reason. I'll probably never get that far north to see it in person, so keep the pics coming! Looks like some nice potential there!
Here's the original thread:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749894
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 25517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Halfcab View Post
I would love to go up to Alaska for a month or two. How expensive is lodgeing up there?
Ifyour military or a civilian that works for the Military they have a new hotel on base that is very reasonable. Alaska is huge and the people are hospitable. Meet people on the board or the local Alaskan boards and I am sure that most would put a guy up or at the least hook him up with a place to camp on their property. Check out Alaska4x4network.com for more information on Alaska wheeling. If your looking to come up for mainly fishing without your offroad rig you could hook up with one of the many clubs and they always seem to have a seat open for an out of stater to ride along on a trail ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Good to hear

That is some excellent progress.

Here's the original thread:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749894
This entire project is exciting. There are no offroad parks in Alaska so it will be the first of its kind here. It will do alot for the people in the area. Military will have an opportunity to learn about wheeling properly including some tready lightly aspects when they leave the base to go wheeling on one of the many trails we have in the state. It will help to keep our trails open. Me being a local that is important.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17164
SHOOOOOOOOOOT I'll have to come up for a weekend and check out the motocross track and the crawling for sure!!
I do have one question/comment especially knowing how the military is and when it comes to dumbass joes/mass punishment.When the first dumbass rolls/totals his stock/modified junk out there,gets killed/hurt do to no cage or seatbelts etc,or gets a DUI out there.How long will it stay open for use?I'm sure its come up,but when the joes start getting hurt out there(motocross/rock crawling) whats going to be the bases protocall?Let alone some civilians/spouses of mil members get hurt/roll/dui.Just curious as to what Wainwright has to counter those things.I just know once it starts taking its toll on soldiers the base CG would be quick to shut it down at most bases I know regardless of who's spearheading the thing.
Now I know joes/civys get dui's/hurt on the weekends doing this stuff,but its not on post nor in the Army's control like this will be.Be interesting to see how this plays out when the time comes unfortunatly

Good work and the troops will definetly be stoked to have that stuff!
Kinda makes me wish I'd stayd at Wainwright now hahaha

Last edited by EricT; 04-12-2009 at 09:46 AM.
EricT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Bob
Granite Guru

Member # 182
Hey guys i'll be in AK in a couple of weeks and want to check out some crawling spots. Don't know if i'll make it up to Fairbanks or not but will be getting into the Anchorage area sometime before the end of the month. Pm me some contact info if anybodies interested in showing me around, looking for some general wheeling and drinking
Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 25517
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT View Post
SHOOOOOOOOOOT I'll have to come up for a weekend and check out the motocross track and the crawling for sure!!
I do have one question/comment especially knowing how the military is and when it comes to dumbass joes/mass punishment.When the first dumbass rolls/totals his stock/modified junk out there,gets killed/hurt do to no cage or seatbelts etc,or gets a DUI out there.How long will it stay open for use?I'm sure its come up,but when the joes start getting hurt out there(motocross/rock crawling) whats going to be the bases protocall?Let alone some civilians/spouses of mil members get hurt/roll/dui.Just curious as to what Wainwright has to counter those things.I just know once it starts taking its toll on soldiers the base CG would be quick to shut it down at most bases I know regardless of who's spearheading the thing.
Now I know joes/civys get dui's/hurt on the weekends doing this stuff,but its not on post nor in the Army's control like this will be.Be interesting to see how this plays out when the time comes unfortunatly

Good work and the troops will definetly be stoked to have that stuff!
Kinda makes me wish I'd stayd at Wainwright now hahaha
Ok this is the way I see it working at the Fire Dept. We respond daily to the on base Ski Hill and haul 14 yr olds all day for spinal injuries and head trauma. I have been wheeling for damn near twenty years and haven't seen anybody have to go to the hospital. If your dumb enough to take your truck up some crazy shit then your man enough to accept some body damage or possible totaling your rig. If the troops like having offroad motosports areas then they will police themselves because they know one guy can fuck it up for all.
The other way I look at it is they fuck up their shit here on base where they have emergency care or they fuck up out in the middle of no where where there is no help. We trust these guys to drive $6,000,000 Stikers bought by taxpayers why can't we trust them to take their $4,000 Jeep bought with hard earned money to go tackle some trails?

We do plan on categorizing the trails like ski hills so people do know what they are in for and what upgrades are recommended.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Last edited by ffdustyw; 04-12-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 25517
What do you think of this place for competition material? Who would be in for a morale event for the troops?
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 117776
Sounds good i will check out that site. I would love to be able to take my junk up there but its not cost effective. I would just like to go up and check things out. Im kinda half assed looking into retirement property and moveing up permanent. thanks for the info....
66Halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 68805
It's about the only open spot in the area with anything close to rock crawling material that doesn't take you an hour to get to. The rock isn't like the sandstone and limestone you see in the southwest but it's what we got. I'm worried about the basalt in the early pictures not holding up, it's pretty well weathered and tends to break apart easily. I can probably shatter one of those basketball-size boulders by picking it up and dropping it...let's not talk about a 4000# rig dropping its frame onto it. Instant obstacle clearing.

I'm looking forward to this but it's going to require some serious maintenance while it's in-use to make sure things stay challenging and safe at the same time.

Now that I think about it...that hillclimb is very close to what you see in Formula4x4 in Iceland, with the consistency. It's the same type of rock that just took a little longer to cool so it's a bit more solid. Thing is it has parallel fracturing that's vertical, so you can have whole slabs of rock wall falling off if you're not careful. That's the source of all the talus next to it. I've spent some time scaling that scarp and looking at it up-close for geo mapping and it's definitely not something I'd take a buggy up.

Last edited by TJVigilante; 04-13-2009 at 11:54 AM.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 68805

Last edited by TJVigilante; 04-21-2009 at 12:53 PM.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 99513
I applaud what your doing and getting it done. But EricT did make sense on what he's talking about. I am also in the Army for the past 13 years going to life. I am currently a SSG NCO. One way to eliviate all possibilities of that one dumb ass, is a mandatory class/course the soldier must attend. Add in a formal Event Counseling in paper. Even draw up a ruff draft and run it buy the JAG office and the post CSM/CG to make sure they agree with the format. Have it mandatory for the soldier to carry the signed copy with him in the rig that is on the park. Have copies of that same counseling on file with the soldiers Commanding officer, JAG, Post safety office, And originall on file with the post CSM/CG.

I know this sounds extreme, but this takes all liability off the entire Chain of Command and places it on the soldier him/herself. Im only saying this, because I have delt with some serious Toolbox idiots who plain dont give a Shiz. Its true. Im just saying, there is always that one that destroys it for everyone. I've been through it and it sucks. I also relize that those of us who enjoy the high risk outdoor sports, are also the ones who are actually the safest in what we do. We relize the dangers and take precutions to limit the out come of a accident. We do it because we value our lives and don't want to be that one. Just remember, it will take extreme peer pressure to keep the bad apples under contral and at bay. I just see how some soldiers act, and it really surprises me. I still see to this day. Darwin is not doing his job

I hope I get stationed some day up in Alaska. Awsome looking startings of a Park.

Motorcycle stuff.

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][B]NEW BEGINNINGS:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

jpfrk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 03:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 134352
hey dusty whats the status on the park? is it still going to be built?
89oj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 25517
The Army puts so much red tape on things. They have to do things by the book. Basically instead of turning it into a real offroad park they just opened an area where people could go use OHV's. I bowed out of it.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Old 08-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
when I was there about 35 years ago that was a off road park. We used to have hill-climbs up there. I had a Flatty with Terra tires and we ran all over that side. Good Times!
oldtimingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 572882
I live in anchorage and new to Alaska how far away is this wheelin area
4LNKD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 01:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
E. Spengler

Member # 206384
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LNKD View Post
I live in anchorage and new to Alaska how far away is this wheelin area
Well, FBKS is 376 miles north of Anchorage...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in