need th350 help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11985
need th350 help

just recently had a shop install an LQ4 6.0 and a th350 into my '00 s10

the trans was rebuilt, but supposedly built well for higher HP. my 6.0 is cammed and tuned and probably is a little over 400hp. stall should be roughly 1700

it never seemed to have that snap off the line that I expected it to have and when a friend looked at it for me, he says it feels like it's starting off in 2nd gear. when manually shifting (it does not have a manual valve body right now) into 1st, he says it feels like a trans brake is on and is fighting itself. when starting off in "drive", it'll barely spin the tires in his gravel driveway and I would think it should damn near rip the asphalt up with that motor and 5.38s.

the fluid (after only 2 trips) is still fairly clear, but is slightly darker than new and he thinks it's already getting cooked.

I'm going to have a different shop look at it since the first shop is too far away (4-5 hours one way). anything specific I should mention? any area that would be a good place to start looking?

thanks
M&M Offroad triple threat chassis #27
1TFROT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40567
Send a message via AIM to 1TONZR2
damn Steve....tearin shit up already?! hope you get it figured out soon

Brian
96 ZR2 HP60,14B, 5.13s,locked ,F/R tri'ed 4 link,16" SAW COs and 4" SAW bumps front, 16" ORIs rear,RCI fuel cell, Truggied out, 42" PitBull Rockers & TR beadlocks, 5.3L Vortec w/LS6 cam/springs, 231/205 doubler, 1410s, 9.5ti

Over the Top Offroad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1TONZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 05:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11985
thanks. I wish that was the case, but I don't think it was right from the start. I just didn't notice it due to the extra power.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5110
What are the spec's on the cam? It sounds like the stall of the converter is too low to start with. What do you have for a cooler? Do you have a temp gauge? If it is applying more than one gear when in 1st I'm of no help on that. Who rebuilt it? Take it back to them.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25857
Who built the trans? I had a TH350 that about locked the tires when you shifted to third and felt like a transbrake if you put it in 3rd while sitting still and applied throttle. The problem was a bad valvebody(also in a brand new freshly built trans).

You are right, if you are on gravel it should absolutly rip the tires in 1st. It does sound like it may be starting in 2nd. I have a 2800 stall with a 5.3, your stall does sound a little low, but it should still rip when you step on it regardless. These motors have some serious throttle response.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DRIVER: Matt Happick
Thanks to: Appalachian Offroad Inc 410-848-2942

92redyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11985
local company in MI somewhere. they built it for the shop who did the motor swap. unfortunately, they are 4-5 hours away. don't want to spend all that fuel round trip and all the down time. I'd rather have someone reputable and close to home fix it and have them pay the bill (if possible)

these should be the specs on the cam

Comp Cam XFI roller

RPM-Range: 1200-6000
Valve Timing: .006
Lobe-Center Angle: 114
Intake Centerline: 112

intake/exhaust
Duration: 265/271
Duration @ .050" Lift: 212/218
Valve Lift: .522/.529
Lobe Lift: .307/.311

not sure what cooler it is, but it's external and works well. the temp gauge has not been over 190* during 2 trips.

thanks for the responses so far. I was leaning towards valve body, but wanted more experienced opinions.

Last edited by 1TFROT; 07-21-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TFROT View Post
and have them pay the bill (if possible)
Good luck with that one, I don't know of any shops that would do this.

DRIVER: Matt Happick
Thanks to: Appalachian Offroad Inc 410-848-2942

92redyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92redyj View Post
Good luck with that one, I don't know of any shops that would do this.
I hear ya.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in