Pirate 4x4 banner

best way to get SUA to flex?

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  woody 
#1 ·
before you go callin SUA setups :rainbow:, just listen to my reasoning.

i dont need any more lift than what i have
i want to keep the stability that i have
i want to keep the lack of axle wrap that i have
and i want to K.I.S.S.

now, what are the secrets to make a SUA setup flex aside from going SOA? :D

#4 ·
I just re-worked my SUA FJ40 and the "articulation" improvements are marginal.

I installed longer springs in the rear requiring hanger re-location. These springs consisted of numerous thinner leaves which flex much better. I then trimmed out my body. My front and rear springs are not significantly arched, maybe 2-3" lift which helps flex.

I only recommend longer, less arched springs, for better "articulation". Stay away from gadgets.

#5 ·
KMAN said:
I just re-worked my SUA FJ40 and the "articulation" improvements are marginal.

I installed longer springs in the rear requiring hanger re-location. These springs consisted of numerous thinner leaves which flex much better. I then trimmed out my body. My front and rear springs are not significantly arched, maybe 2-3" lift which helps flex.

I only recommend longer, less arched springs, for better "articulation". Stay away from gadgets.
yep 2nd that...

try some pickup springs like a chev or ford half ton...

or call alcan or national and build some customs

#6 ·
First off if you search you'd find you've asked about the flexiest SUA before:flipoff2: Next you'd find a bunch of threads from gay fawkers like you that need to accept a simple fact:YOU CAN'T HANDLE SOA Why not? Because you are never getting past the point you are now so sit there and be happy. Why didn't you post this in the Land Rover section are you tired of them making fun of you:shaking:

#7 ·
My experience has shown that a flat spring will offer more flex than one with more arch in it. ergo, it's a lot easier to get a flat leaf, and the ride height we normally want with a spring over. A flat, or near flat spring in a spring under setup is going to have the axle so close to the frame that up travel is always going to be very limited. To get the axle far enough away from the frame that you can have up travel in a spring under, is going to require a lot of arch in your spring. A spring with a lot of arch is either going to be really stiff, or really weak.

I just went spring over on my wrangler. Previously I had lift springs on it. I didn't really want it any higher, but I was doing an axle swap at the same time, and after a lot of research decided that going to a spring over arrangment, with flatter springs would give me a much better foundation to build on than the previous setup, without being much if any higher.

Chad

#8 ·
Brandon Kuykendall said:
First off if you search you'd find you've asked about the flexiest SUA before:flipoff2: Next you'd find a bunch of threads from gay fawkers like you that need to accept a simple fact:YOU CAN'T HANDLE SOA Why not? Because you are never getting past the point you are now so sit there and be happy. Why didn't you post this in the Land Rover section are you tired of them making fun of you:shaking:
i dont even know what to say to this. yopu are a total fucking MORON and i hope you rot in hell. please get the FUCK out of MY POST. i was trying to learn some new information and you had to go and ruin it with your big fucking mouth that no one believes one bit of anyways. shut the FUCK up, and get off of this board.

:flipoff:

#9 ·
Brandon Kuykendall said:
Why don't YOU just stay out or in the **** section PEBBLE BOY.

#10 ·
try finding a late 80's early 90's f250 front spring pack 3 leafs I think. this will be fair on the flex side. I have been looking at them for my spring over but I think since they are in a neg arch they would be fine your application...

#11 · (Edited)
???????? WTF is going on with people?
i see what your looking for 9V and its not senseless. there are some great advantages to being sua as you mentioned before.

i'm concerned with people like that fawkin dumbshit brandon "never put my rig in 4wd"kuykendall. what the fawk are you on and please like he said stay where you belong, annoying shop merchants and their staff til they want to kill you, and behind that limp wrist keyboard of yours. leave the man talk to the men!:p

now, on to the tech part. i would think the usual mods like longer shackles with relocated mounts as to not gain lift and longer springs would be the way to go. but as you probably know, when you gain flex with leaf springs it usually has some kind of offset effect like more lean on sidehills and more wrap. the longer springs would be the most involved, so maybe try the shackles first? personally i'd go with the longer springs, i had good luck when i put 52" long GM springs in the rear of my heep.;)

just my .02:beer:

#15 ·
Jeepmangled87 said:
SOA is a way of life, but if you must stay SUA cause your mom wont let you lift it any more, than try bending the spring clamps out a little so the springs will flex a little more. also make sure you use greasable bushings on all corners:D

perfect pirate form....offer useful information and diss the fawker at the same time....

ROFLMAO!!!!:flipoff2:

#19 ·
Hey 9v.....I know where you're coming from. I think alot of these boys that are giving you shit either never road in a properly set-up SUA or they are just still in High School. Now on to College....if I was trying to make my set of SUA flex better I might try those Allpro Revolvers in conjunction with a custom pack from that spring shop in Grand Junction...slips my mind. A progressive pack with loose clamps and a mil wrap on both ends.

#20 ·
Shackle angle. I ran SUA 4" Softrides on my Cruiser for a couple years. Relocating the shackles 2-3" inwards gave me a nice 45 degree shackle angle plus the ability to run a longer shackle....

See my tech site for some pics and stuff. Applies to any SUA or SOA rig really. In short, main leaf length minus shackle length = mounting distance. [exaggeration]50" mainleaf - 10" shackles = 40" mounting distance[/exaggeration] This provides the maximum "swing" of the shackle and the greatest travel.

IMO, revolvers are not the ticket. Buggies are ok. Lesser arch (2") lift springs will travel better than 4" arch springs, but you lose your height.

I could rub tires all over with my 4" Softrides with a 33" tires and a 1" body lift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.