MFS/Pirate4x4.com 2010 Griffin Radiator King Of The Hammers Driver's Seat Contest! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Closed Thread

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 136367
Cool MFS/Pirate4x4.com 2010 Griffin Radiator King Of The Hammers Driver's Seat Contest!

THE KING OF ALL CONTESTS

Griffin's King Of The Hammers, widely known as the Ultimate Desert Race, will be the destination for one lucky individual. After participating in a grueling essay contest, the winner will compete in Griffin's King Of The Hammers Race, set for February 12, 2010. The only things the winner will need to provide is his/her own transportation, racing helmet and fire suit.

The Vehicle will be prepped and supported by Motorsport Fabrication Services LLC (MFS) of Lincoln California, and is owned by Camo. There will be specialized training earlier in the week for the winner to be familiarized with the vehicle. A navigator/co-driver will also be provided, and time allotted for pre-runs.

It will require that an essay be written, 500 words or less, on why you need to be the driver of the MFS sponsored Rock Buggy.

All entries must be submitted by December 25th, 2009. (Post entries in this thread, must be a Pirate4x4.com Red or Yellow star member)

Pirate4x4.com users will begin voting for their favorite of the top 5 January 1st, 2010.

Voting will close February 1st, 2010 and WE WILL HAVE A DRIVER!

Winner must be at Griffin's King Of The Hammers by February 8th, 2010.

GOOD LUCK!

[COLOR="Lime"][B][SIZE="4"]KEEP PUBLIC LANDS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Pick up your trash, clean up your oil spills and stay on the trail
MFS_CA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 136367
test

Camo's rig is currently at MFS getting a new 500hp LS2 and KOH prep.

[COLOR="Lime"][B][SIZE="4"]KEEP PUBLIC LANDS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Pick up your trash, clean up your oil spills and stay on the trail
MFS_CA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
I'd love the chance to race in KOH 2010. Looks like I'm in first place already

I entered the LCQ for 2009 but due to a variety of reasons including a new baby I didn't make it out other than to volunteer.

Fast forward to the RCQ at Rausch Creek in PA we made it 2.5 laps or roughly half the race but hitting a tree and overheating caused a rear main seal failure putting us out of the race.

I've never been all that into rockcrawling competitions but this type of race has really gotten into my blood. I came in 6th place at the RC rocs race in September and plan to race again Nov 7th.

If I get the chance to race I'll document my whole experience here on Pirate and I'm sure it will be the time of my life. Thanks to MFS, Camo and Lance for the chance!

Last edited by whypave; 10-10-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: adding first to post edit :)
whypave is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
Cool Idea -It will be interesting how it goes down- Seeing how last year it took over 1,000 miles of testing and Driving out there for Jason to get happy with the car -I know I can't even take 2 days off without the shop turing to hell - So I will be watching from Afar -Jess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Also see us on facebook @ High Angle Driveline
530-877-2875
onetoncv is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 116406
subscribed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

920-482-3220

BAILEIGH INC. is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 52
Super suscribed!
Old 10-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2395
Great contest.
Dustin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9275
Send a message via Yahoo to purevil71
I am SOOO in on this one...what a chance!!!

ZookiMelt FB Page:

purevil71 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 67110
‘there is a sense of adventure that lives inside all off-roaders, it thrusts them into the abyss of the unknown…’

I was fortunate enough to attend KOH 2009, merely as a spectator. An awesome experience, but there is no way to walk away from it and not dream about more.

I have been a gearhead my entire driving life. I started wrenching out of necessity, and it quickly turned into a passion. one more Samurai build is my personal wheeler. 99% built at home, by me. Built by me because I can, it's what I love to do.

I have been into four-wheeling for the last 8 years. Trails easy or hard, I do it for the experience. Getting out into the forest, camping, fishing, and wheeling; there is no other place I would rather be.

I live within an hour of Pirate4x4 headquarters, MFS, and Placerville. I think my proximity to the co-driver, vehicle and owner, and sponsoring shop are all beneficial. Learning to work with the co-driver and with the vehicle will be very important competing against other teams that have had more time together. A few extra days, or even hours, could be crucial.

There is no doubt Camo’s buggy has the capability to win King of the Hammers. Half the field probably has a chance to take home the crown. I can not explain how serious I would take the honor to win this contest and race.

Everybody thinks they are a great driver, and I am certainly no exception. Driving with your head and not adrenalin will make or break you. With a great vehicle and crew, I will be a serious contender.

I am an experienced mechanic and welder. This is a no-chase race, and if the unfortunate happens, my skills to diagnose and repair will be very important.

If selected, getting the time off will not be an issue. I will be there. I might even spring for a helmet and fire suit.

I would be proud to represent MFS, Pirate4x4.com, the ‘spirit of the race’, and everybody who entered this contest.

I am not anybody particularly special, but somebody who would love to race for all the do-it-yourself builders and trail wheelers like myself.

Thank you for the consideration,
Derek York

Last edited by D Boz; 12-25-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added less than 500 words
D Boz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
don't know nothin'

Member # 136902
Damn,knew I should of gone to school
Like everyone else on earth would love to do KOH.I have played with 4X4's since I was 16yo.,nothing fancy.I currently have a Liberty,yeah,yeah,I like slightly different.Do believe I could give a good showing in a decent vehicle.Well not the most articulate person,nor much of a self promoter.Thanks for the opportunity,if chosen will do all possible to be competitive. This has got to be COOLEST contest ever heard of,Thanks again.

Last edited by ridenby; 11-27-2009 at 05:22 AM.
ridenby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 140654
I may not be one of the official O.G.’s, but I was there at the very first race. We where asked if we wanted to join the race since we happened to come down and were THE ONLY other people on the lakebed, other than the racers them selves. No ones Rig was really ready for the race, especially mine. My rig was more suited for “king of the trailer park” than king of the hammers, but I decided what the hell, I loaded my “loaded” friend mike and his camera into the rig and headed out to get good shots of the racers coming across the lake bed straight at us. We didn’t know it at the time but my good friend Austin was mooning the entire field at the starting line!!!! So after they tried to forget the horrific sight of Austin’s pasty white ass, the race started. It was the best thing I have seen since my first live pair of boobs in Jr. High!
So after the faster cars went by we loaded back up into my mostly 85 Toyota and headed out. Much to my surprise on the ride out there I was actually passing people who were in the race! Then I soon remembered I hadn’t put my hood pins back in after the rush to get out here, and sure enough my hood flies up! Making the moment even better! So I just hung my head out the side of the truck and kept it to the floor. I was amazed how well my truck was doing for having less horse power than a geo metro, and no shocks…... We got out to the trails and watched the race on outer limits. This was one of the greatest days of my life, it is a story I will tell my grand children when I am a crippled old man. Watching the dawn of the greatest race in the whole world! It was like getting to see the very first Baja 1000.
I love wheeling. I love peeling out. I have always been the kind of guy that is laughing like an idiot when I am pushing the truck, bike, car, or skateboard just little too far and things could either go really good, or end up in a trip to the hospital. It consumes my life. It is what I was meant to do.
Thank you for giving me the chance to relive the best day of my life. (Next to my wedding day of course! Hopefully this will keep her from smothering me with a pillow tonight!)
THANK YOU TO CAMO, MFS, AND EVERYONE ELSE AT PIRATE!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Phildo; 12-17-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: adding my essay (finally...)
Phildo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 23387
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckiekillskittens View Post

i want to enter this.

my essay is a little less than 500 words but here it is

why do i deserve to be the driver? i can think of no one better to wad up camo's new toy than me camo would probably strangle me before i made it to the race though

seriously though, this give away is the coolest thing ive ever seen camo and lance, you guys rock
1992xj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Wow what an opportunity, but also wow on the timeframe. Anyone entering better make sure they either already have the time off or can get it on real short notice. Only 7 days from drawing to arrival, and 4 more til the race.

Your Source for: CNC Cutting & Engraving, Cages, Custom Suspension, Complete Vehicle Builds, and more!

Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
6x6x6 ROCKCRAWLER!!

Member # 66537
Send a message via Yahoo to turbosniper1
This would be a dream come true! I will be writing my essay and submitting it as soon as it is completed for your consideration!!
Thank you very much for the chance for this possibly once in a lifetime opportunity!
- Matt

'69 RockAuto.com Jeepster Commando🇺🇸👍🏼😎👍🏼
TWF Double Beadlocks, Pitbull Tires, Recentered 8/12/24-bolt H1 Wheels
37" Goodyear Wrangler MT/Radials (H-1 Takeoffs) from $125 ea

turbosniper1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 116277
Send a message via AIM to purecountry Send a message via Yahoo to purecountry
In on the 1st page. Will edit to include my essay later.

[QUOTE=SilverZuk;10606373]My wife doesn't go out, but if she did I would piss on her and kick dirt all over her before she left.
[/QUOTE]
purecountry is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7978
Send a message via AIM to monkeyevil
Wow, what a kick ass giveaway.

When I was a toddler, and well before, my dad drove a CJ5. He special ordered it from the dealer and since at the time he didn’t have a child, he neglected to check the rear seat option. I remember holding onto the side of the tub and peering over at a rumbling tire… luckily I never tried to grab it.

Before long the Jeep became not a daily necessity, but a sihlohete in the barn. It sat in a state of disrepair while my dad worked to feed his family. Weekends were spent in the woods hunting or working on the house, not wheeling the Jeep.
While my father taught me the value of a hard days work, wether it was hanging drywall for yourself or pouring concrete for your boss, my grandfather taught me a love for everything mechanical. I’d spend most of my summer on their property wrenching on cars that had no chance of ever running, fixing the mower, or just dreaming of putting the Rupp snowmobile motor in a rusty mini bike frame.

The Jeep gene was dormant in my blood. It wasn’t until my second year of college did one even catch my eye. I sold my Ford Probe to my bother and was the proud owner of a blue 1993 Jeep Wrangler Renegade, the bastard child of the Jeep heritage.

One night after a classy burnout at Burger King, I made a complete mess of my Dana 35. My father and I worked in the garage in December with no heat and it took maybe two full days to install a used set of 3.55 gears. We warmed or hands in the kitchen and checked the pattern against the Yukon Gear manual. It was a formidable task we conquered, it felt great.

Before long I joined an offroad club and started wheeling on the club property and on short trips in the Midwest. I quickly became hooked and in eight years or so my beach Jeep (and I) have transformed in baby steps from stock axles and 31 Scorpion A/T’s, to a self built 609/9” combo and 38 SX’s.

I wheel with a core group of friends with rigs of similar capability and a shared vision of offroading. For me though wheeling isn’t about the commodore. The conversation we can have at the local pub; on the trail it’s all about the challenge. My favorite trails are the ones I can’t complete… the ones that completely kick the groups ass. That night I lay awake thinking of obstacles. Was it my fault or my Jeeps fault? I can’t wait for a chance to dominate it. It’s never about competing with anyone but myself.

I was born in the wrong state for hardcore crawling, so we throw the rigs on the trailer and head south. I dream of the west coast, but I don’t imagine I’ll ever bring my rig there.

I’d love to beat on yours there though. Maybe we’ll even take the flag.

[QUOTE=welndmn;10381954]You should build your rig so the weak link is traction :)
I run slugs myself.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by monkeyevil; 10-27-2009 at 03:31 PM.
monkeyevil is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 97119
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkBug View Post
Wow what an opportunity, but also wow on the timeframe. Anyone entering better make sure they either already have the time off or can get it on real short notice. Only 7 days from drawing to arrival, and 4 more til the race.
Exactly what I thought...winner better have some very understanding boss's.

Reserving my spot for my essay.....

Quote:
You know if Chuckie comes back he will get banned again...If Camo dosent do it I can see him pokin me till I do it...

Oh how the tables have turned Slitty
Bajabomber87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 99417
If obama won the peace prize I could win this.............
jamespadgett is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 84965
My name is Clark Williamson, 500 words couldn't possibly convey the passion i have for this sport. I am a nobody from Washington State who would love to come out there and represent us PNW guys. I have been involved in wheeling since i was 18 and I'm building a car to come and spectate this year, I sure would rather get to be in the race though.

I want to get behind the wheel of Camo's rig, kick ass, take names, and win. I want to make Camo, and MFS proud they chose me, i will drive that car hard, but just soft enough to keep it together. I want to show what a average guy can do with the right people to back him up.

I want to meet new people, i want to live my dream, i want to make you guys here on pirate proud. I want to race KOH 2010. If i had the resources, the money, the car, and the friends i would be in it already. But i don't, and this is the perfect oppertunity to make a dream into a reality.

Thanks, Pirate4x4.com, Lance, Camo, and MFS for the oppertunity of a life time, i am "your guy" for KOH 2010.

If i win the race, i'll donate all my winnings to the fight to keep our trails open. I'm already planning on taking that time off to be at the race as a spectator, so showing up is not an issue.

Last edited by xr8ed; 10-16-2009 at 06:43 PM.
xr8ed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 142023
Where else could someone find an opportunity like this?
Pirate rocks!
riverflyr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 79902
Thumbs up

Wow...helluva giveaway. Essay to follow soon.

April 28-May 1, 2016

ndeepoffroad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
I'm sharpening my pencil now.
Edit: Here it is.

... Thanks for the chance of a lifetime. Why I need to be your driver for King of the Hill 2010? From the moment I built my first gravity powered go kart to fly down the steep hill I lived on as a kid, I have been on track for this contest. I love driving fast and I do it accident free, especially on dirt roads and trails. One of lifes simple pleasures for me is breaking the rear end of whatever I'm driving or riding loose and sliding through a corner. Yeah baby!

...My rig (a full size Jimmy on 38s), is not ideal for the most extreme trails, but I have been thrashing it hard through the Rockies and Moab for over 12 years now, and it has been one heck of a lot of fun. I also have been plowing snow in the winter with a 4 speed manual transmission equipped truck for years, which may be why I stall my rig less while wheeling than drivers of many automatic and manual transmission equipped rigs I have run trails with.

...I have occasionally bent driveshafts and blown u-joints and gears and dinged up my rigs body panels while running trails with obstacles, which is how I find out where my rig fits and what it can do, and I have gotten home with no ones help but my own every time. I can tell you from personal firsthand experience about trail repairs like swapping out everything from u-joints to knuckles to a complete axle I carried in with a strap on my shoulder. Rebead a tire or swap a spare on fast and safely? Easy money. Serpentine belt or starter swap on a hot motor? Pffffft. No strain. Stickweld on the trail? Oh yeah.

...I used to hop off my 76 Yamaha DT 250 dirtbike and feather the clutch while running alongside it to make it up steep and rough rocky climbs, whatever it took to make it. Now I trail ride a 79 Honda XR500. Pretty much point and shoot around and over the rocks, see-ya bye poky atvs. No nerve problems here, once you've tried something like dropping off a 5 foot high embankment on a bike, it's much easier in a 4 wheeled vehicle. I've never driven a buggy. What a concept, being able to actually see at least some of your wheel placement like when on a bike, not just guesstimate it. When I am driving I pay attention and I am relentless to the end!

... In conclusion, For all these reasons and many more, I need to win this essay contest and drive with Camos and MFS (Motorsports Fabrication Services) sponsorship, and prove that an ordinary guy with the right skills, backing and equipment can be a contender in one of the toughest races ever.

Edit: Since I have not had time to make a MFSFab/Pirate4x4.com Drivers seat contest video, here is a random vid I made last summer with my kids, who are my #1 supporters. It's all for fun. I could donate this truck to PBB to do with as they please also. (Without the boom, but with a regular troop carrier bed too)

YouTube - Kids Ghost Riding the Deuce

Last edited by Filthy McChevy; 12-08-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Filthy McChevy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41059
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
Well i wont provide a great essay. I will just say who i am and let the cards fall. Im a wheeler, I love all that it offers in getting away and pushing myself more and more every time. I first wheeled the hammers at koh '09 and realized what the deal was. Came right back for the jambo. The place is the holy grail of rockcrawling and it feels like it every second im there.

Ive been wheeling for the past 15 years, mainly in a toyota but i have been wheeling a tube rig i built for the last 2 years. Building it came fairly easy, I went to school for automotive/diesel repair. Then later on for machining. I got burned out on making parts so i now fix cnc machines. On the side i do misc machining and make parts for tube cars.

In doing something of this nature it is very important to respect and represent the folks making this possible. If i win i will finish the race. Ahead of Larry.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bunk; 10-26-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Bunk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24879
hell, i'm in. this is a great opportunity for one of us.

holley

Josho is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 37649
Send a message via MSN to Blue MT. SnowRunner
I havnt done an essay since college, but I guess I better start now!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in