Inphobic's Early Bronco Rebuild and Rehash - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Send a message via AIM to inphobic
Inphobic's Early Bronco Rebuild and Rehash

I bought my second bronco in 1997. I was actually looking for a new tub for my 1976 when I came across a 1971 basket case project. It was completely dissambled, but it had an Arizona tub, two set's of axles, 2 engines and three transmissions. Plus all the cool parts sourced for a really nice build. After 6 months of HARD AT IT frame off it was up and running. The first test was a trip to Colorado in the summer of 98 to check out the new fuel injected mustang engine. It was awesome! I could run all the mountian passes with out messing with the carburator!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inphobic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Around 2000 I had been saving for gears and lockers and finally bit the bullet and ordered 4.56 gears, a detroit for the rear and an EZ Locker for the front. Of course that didn't last long with 33's. After my first trip to Disney Oklahoma I came home and bought 36" SX's. I did the spring hinge plate thing under the rear springs and a 5.5" lift coil for the front. It was scary.... I sawpped in some 5.5 lift leafs in the back and that help quite a bit. I also went from wheels spacers to try to make it stable to full width half ton 9" and Dana 44. Gearing was improved with a 4:1 Klune and a NP 205 transfer case. I traded my AOD for a C4 with the right adapter. I got laid off so I went to work linking the suspension. Front recieved a wristed arm style with a single lower on the passenger and the rear was a wishbone upper 3-link.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
I swapped to 38.5" SX's and full hydro steering for a number of years. My driving style was fairly conseravative and the D44 survived quite well for many years. 2005 came with the Ultimate Adventure adn the bronco saw some new sheetmetal and a quick facelift for the trip. This also brought the switch to BFG Krawlers in the 37" size. But as with most things you keep pushing the limits and the spidertrax housings were becoming popular so I built a Junkyard "609". Scott Angell and I did an Exo-Cage on a Toyota pick up in exchange for a dana 60. At that point I swapped to a triangulated lower fourlink and reused my old lower links for upper links.

(I'm not sure what pictures I have here since I can't see flickr at work.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inphobic

Getting ready to weld the inner c's All the brackets are welded and ready to go.

here's a pic showing the mock-up of the four link. Took a bit of work to get the driveshaft and steering to clear.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Also a new cage was built since I was tired of getting hung up on the "C hoop" of the old cage. The bronco has been to the Hammers, Moab, Colorado, Katemcy, Hot Springs, Flat Nasty, SMORR, Tellico, Black hills and many places in between. The rear axle is getting pretty tired, still with 31 spline shafts and the body is due for another round of straighting.

Attached Images

Old 10-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 55521
Im in the process of a EB build so more pics the better.
fenderbmxer86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3007
I have liked this rig since I got into wheeling and met you in Disney IIRC. You've had this a loooong time.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Well my first order of business is the rear axle because once I move the rear axle back another 2" to 99" of Wheelbase I will move the opening around to make it look "right". I know one thing that after owning two spidertrax housings, one here and one in the comp rig, I want one for the rear. Being tired of tearing out u-bolts straps out of the low pinion 9" I definitely wanted a High Pinion 9. Of course with two kids an unstable job market I just couldn't do a Tru-High 9 like I wanted so I set about finding a more fitting redneck way.... It'll be cheaper right?

I posted up on a 4wd forum local to Fort Riley, KS Military base in search for some H1 portal boxes. Not long after I had a set of 4 boxes, hopefully I won't need spares but I have two if I do! I sought after these because they had a little less lift than a unimog and in turn a little better gear ratio with only a 1.92:1 vs the mogs 2.13. This way I can try to keep it as streetable as possible and cut the body as little as I can.

With some help from D and D Machine in Belton, Mo and Harley0706 we have the adapter plate designed and ready to be milled. I will be switching to 8-lug chevy outers on my 609 front axle in order to match the 8 bolt rear H1 pattern.
Attached Images

Last edited by inphobic; 10-28-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbmxer86 View Post
Im in the process of a EB build so more pics the better.
Haha I have so many wheeling pictures you wouldn't beleive it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/good-photos

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/broncostuff/
Is the website I had when I started building the bronco. The last update was around 98.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I have liked this rig since I got into wheeling and met you in Disney IIRC. You've had this a loooong time.
It's been quite a while since you sold the yota! Maybe one of these days we'll get back on the trails together again! Maybe I could get a moped and run single tracks...

Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by inphobic View Post
It's been quite a while since you sold the yota! Maybe one of these days we'll get back on the trails together again! Maybe I could get a moped and run single tracks...
I am sure I can provide you with a suitable ride. Me getting another rig is not going to happen with my location and zero desire to build anything. I enjoy going to events and helping where I can.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8990
Holy shit Jake, clean up your garage and for those that read this whole thing he "can't" just get a Hi9 like he wants so he is doing this portal thing. He wants to be like JR and Lee with a EB and some sort of portal 9 combo.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are"
John Wooden

Jeff Knoll: What do you need to see anyway, the spotter is driving, your just a monkey at that point, the only thing you need is to follow orders, and have brass balls.

Last edited by wheatfield; 10-28-2009 at 12:48 PM.
wheatfield is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Don't forget one of the coolest crusier owners Nolen Grogan

Last edited by inphobic; 10-28-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by inphobic View Post
Don't forget one of the coolest crusier owners Nolen Grogan
1984 FJ-60
2013 RZR-XP4

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Quote:
Originally Posted by wngrog View Post
Hey Nolen, what are your thoughts on the portal since you've had both?
Jake

Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
It was a cool deal never diffing out. Really cool. I don't think I would want one in the front because you would have to build it up so high to clear the axle and the engine.

Overall, the expense is not really worth the cool factor to me.
1984 FJ-60
2013 RZR-XP4

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Yeah I already have oil pan to steering ram clearance issues so there is no way to move the front axle up 4" and keep the same ride height. The front will not change except for a 5.13 ring and pinion and 8 lug hubs. The rear will be like putting the axle back in the stock location...

A couple of things that are going to keep it lower budget for me is I plan to use 31 spline shafts in the rear and a factory 9" center section. At least to start. I have broke several factory housings but maybe the portal hub might buy me some time with it.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
Very cool Jake, I need to get by and see it sometime.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
Quote:
Originally Posted by wngrog View Post
It was a cool deal never diffing out. Really cool. I don't think I would want one in the front because you would have to build it up so high to clear the axle and the engine.

Overall, the expense is not really worth the cool factor to me.
After having a TJ with portals, I agree 100%. Not on a full body rig. On a buggy where you have more latitude to move things around ... maybe.

Edit: Cool EB. Can't believe you didn't list Tuttle Creek as one of the many places you've wheeled it.

Last edited by Mudinyeri; 10-28-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I am sure I can provide you with a suitable ride. Me getting another rig is not going to happen with my location and zero desire to build anything. I enjoy going to events and helping where I can.
Same here. I've had that second set of pics saved for quite a few years now. Has always been a cool bronco, can't wait to see what's next.

Did you ever have problems with the big hoop b-pillar hanging up too?

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 26616
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxton357 View Post
I wouldn't say it got hung up but it had lots of scrapes and scratches on it. It is now different and slides better He surely has a new picture of it.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 16271
Looking good as always. Nice "upgrades" !!! Hopefully we can get you to come to the southeast again sometime. Now we will have to take you to either Ky. or Tn since Tellico is closed. Either place we like to ride is 3.5 hrs from the garage. Hint, Hint.........
Karl
Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxton357 View Post
Yeah actually there is a tree on the four fingers trail in Hot springs Ar that caught the b-pillar. It fits nicely in the dent the quarter panel has.... Went back after the new cage and it does not hit the body at all now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbebs View Post
Looking good as always. Nice "upgrades" !!! Hopefully we can get you to come to the southeast again sometime. Now we will have to take you to either Ky. or Tn since Tellico is closed. Either place we like to ride is 3.5 hrs from the garage. Hint, Hint.........
Karl
Yeah you guys have so many places to wheel over there now it is unreal. Keep me in mind I'd love to join ya sometime!

Jake

Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 46338
I'm crushed that I wasn't in any of the OCBR 09 pics. You better hurry up your plans for our trip in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRJR View Post
I'm crushed that I wasn't in any of the OCBR 09 pics. You better hurry up your plans for our trip in a couple of weeks.

It will start coming apart once I get back. Of course we have the comp rig to get ready for next season too!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 83837
Very cool Bronco man!

KyleQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Cool EB...looking forward to this round of mods.
craigellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in