General metal fabrication - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
General metal fabrication

Here is a place to see, show and learn simple fabrication. Tips, tricks and processes other people use that would make fabricating basic parts that we use on our wheelers easier if we only knew.
It's kind of like this thread but up to date and more focused on the processes.
It's not a thread about plasma tables, CNC lathes and other higher end equipment but how to fabricate with basic tools. It's also not about the tools so much, but how they can be used.

I'll go first
Tip: If you can, drill all holes first before cutting material to size. The parent material makes a good handle while working on your piece.
Here, a hole saw is used for the half rounds and a step drill is used for the smaller hole because it's fast, makes a clean hole and leaves a nice chamfer.

( Since the material used here is 4130, I should have made the circle cut outs with the hole saw complete so that they could have then been turned into weld washers )
Attached Images

Last edited by JR; 11-01-2009 at 07:30 AM.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
When you get into machining there's always a better thing to do first the more complicated the part the more before thought required- There are parts We make that require many different steps -in a peticular order or the out come is shiatty . The durability c/v we designed went thru stages and we learned as we went - its sometimes time consuming and does not bear fruit right off the batt . I have sold maybe 45 so far -there 1k each -and have another 15 next week to make happen -Jess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Also see us on facebook @ High Angle Driveline
530-877-2875
onetoncv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 55444
This could be an awesome thread JR.

How about plasma templates for hand cutting.
We use 3/16-1/4" dustboard, cut with a jigsaw 3/16" smaller than needed(the distance from the edge of the plasma tip to the edge of the cut)
Just clamp it down and trace.

(I'll add a pic when I can dig one up)

Old 10-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 56851
So what did you cut the rest of the material out with? Plasma, torch, jig saw? If offering this a tips and how to then make it complete. This is a good idea as I have people asking me how I make certain things. All I have is torch, henrob, cut-off wheel, jig-saw,saw-zall, chop saw and a large horizontal band-saw for cutting material. I would like a plasma but haven't dropped the coin for a good one yet. But I have took my time and made some nice parts with what I got.

I made this front truss by laying out my design from a piece of card board. Using my torch to cut it out. A flap disc on a grinder to clean it up. Then I cut out some 1/8" material 2 pieces each to fit width and length to the point. I used a hammer and bent the 1/8" to fit the radius. Welded everything up and used a flap disc to clean it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big thanks to PSC, EOR, WOD, CCOR for helping me along the way.

Last edited by CaglezXJ; 11-01-2009 at 12:02 AM.
CaglezXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 51387
Send a message via Yahoo to Gravel Maker
I don't know what dustboard is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
This could be an awesome thread JR.

How about plasma templates for hand cutting.
We use 3/16-1/4" dustboard, cut with a jigsaw 3/16" smaller than needed(the distance from the edge of the plasma tip to the edge of the cut)
Just clamp it down and trace.

(I'll add a pic when I can dig one up)

But I do the same thing with 1/4" finished birch plywood. If you use a good jigsaw and a fresh blade you have a very clean line, depending only on how well you follow it. Great for repeatable cuts. It also is good to use just for exact copies when only marking to cut with another tool if you don't have a plasma.

......"The NEW Industry Standard"

Tech/Sales 916.600.1945

You can SAY anything, its what you DO that matters!
Gravel Maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 55521
My tip of the day for backyard fabbers is- When you tack anything, if its possible only tack the outer edges so when you runn your bead you dont have to work around a tack in the center of your pass.

One of my biggest pet peeves.
fenderbmxer86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Heres one I recently started doing....

Since I always end up with alot of scrap pieces of tube 4"-6" I started to just notch both ends in 5 degree increments...

so I end up with a tube with a 5 degree on one end and a 10 degree on the other,next tube has a 15 degree and a 20 and so on....

these come in super handy when you need to know the correct notch angle(especially if if your notch intersects with a bend!!!) and cant tell if you need a 20 or a 30 degree notch....by having these scrap pieces around you can hold one up and know what your notch needs to be.

(note: if anyone needs pics I can get them for ya but I thing its pretty self explanitory....)

Also...

Before you go and buy one of these liquid filled angle finders(that are pretty hard to read....)

A piece of scrap tube,flat plate and a nut/bolt can build you something cheaper and easier to read!!!

Go to sears and buy this digital torpedo level that happens to have a magnet that keeps it stuck....

This tool comes in handy in multi-plane bends as well as two bends in phase...
Old 11-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25217
Send a message via AIM to RockwelledToyota
I use damn near the exact setup for my rotational bends...I love my digital level...works great. The only difference is that my jig to hold it to the tube uses a couple pieces of angle iron welded together and a nut welded to it..I'll add pics later to show.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
THE VOICE OF REASON

Member # 50419
A router can cut aluminum... I rought cut this plate to make a t-case adapter with a band saw. Bolted it to the t-case then finished it off with a 2 flute flush cut router bit in a router. The plate is 3/4" thick. I used wd-40 to for lubrication

Murphy's Law Motorsports #816
Check us out on

OPTIMA BATTERIES, YUKON GEAR, RACELINE WHEELS, GRIFFIN , FLEXCON, BAJA DESIGNS, FOX RACING SHOX, HOWE PERFORMANCE, B.F. GOODRICH, MITCHELL DIFFERENTIAL, PRP SEATS, FIREBALL HEAT TREATING, JET LUBE, PAC RACING SPRINGS, KESSLER MACHINE.
imagineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaglezXJ View Post
So what did you cut the rest of the material out with? Plasma, torch, jig saw? If offering this a tips and how to then make it complete.
The focus of my tip was not about how the pieces were cut and trimmed. I left that up to whatever means people have (skinny wheel, jig saw,plasma, etc)
I personally use a band saw and a belt sander but a skinny wheel and hand grinder with a flap wheel would work fine.

My thought is that if the focus is on the tip rather than the whole project, then the post will not get bogged down with too much detail.

Last edited by JR; 11-01-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 107373
Great idea.

When I make tabs like this I make them mirror about the large hole center, thatway one holesaw cut is used for two brackets.

Tip, I fab my axle bracket like this out of 3.5" strip steel, that way I have less cutting.

Last edited by 1wook; 11-01-2009 at 08:21 AM.
1wook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 46229
Nice thread so far.
FF3PM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 994
it may be a bit more expensive but if you have std width tabs (say 3" or 4") buy flat bar rather than a piece of plate. That way the edges are always straight and pre rounded!

Great thread.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
A piece of scrap tube,flat plate and a nut/bolt can build you something cheaper and easier to read!!!
And I thought I was the only one doing this...ha,ha.

Same thing as Rock Ape only I dedicated a set of tube clamp piers (IMS $10.95)
and welded flat bar to it. The level is secured with thumb screws.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Weld washers.
Drilling either the inside hole or hole sawing the outside is easy. It's holding the little guy without marring it all up to do the second process is the trick.
What I do is hole saw the blank first all the way through, then tack it back in place to hold it for drilling the inside hole to the final diameter. Then cut the tacks and do a little finish sanding.
Pictured are 1-3/4 diameter washers with 3/4" inside holes.

How else do people do it?
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
here's one if your machining a tube yoke out on say a toyota and you want to go thicker tubing - do 3 tack welds on the inside tube to yoke - and the last tack weld let it bleed thru the tube -now the bleed thru spot show the end of the journal - so use a v tool back a fourth close to the edge of the journal size your piece which is below the oem size to fit into thicker tube- the last step machine thru the weld usually going away fromt eh chuck and gravity will take the rest- the piece normally will fall off into the chip trey . My Father Taught me that . Its hard to hold onto a tube yoke end on a drivelien because you usually need a custom made blunt center . Maybe a pic if anyone is interested- Good stuff so though- Jess

- Also see us on facebook @ High Angle Driveline
530-877-2875
onetoncv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 14794
Send a message via AIM to korda
My step drill bits must be real pieces of junk. I hate using those things on anything other than sheetmetal and even then I don't really care for them.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Mr. DJ

Member # 85595
Subscribed....

04 Rubicant Ultra4

My precious.... 72 K5 Blazer

web wheeler...
DJ404564X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
Quote:
Originally Posted by korda View Post
My step drill bits must be real pieces of junk. I hate using those things on anything other than sheetmetal and even then I don't really care for them.
Buy some from Harbor Freight. Seriously. I shattered one of the $40 Irwin bits and had pretty much given up on them. Then I discovered the HF units and they're awesome. I drill probably 90% of my holes with them. I think I've only shattered one and @ $8(on sale) for a 3 pack, they're cheap enough to replace when they start to get dull.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wook View Post
Great idea.

When I make tabs like this I make them mirror about the large hole center, thatway one holesaw cut is used for two brackets.

Tip, I fab my axle bracket like this out of 3.5" strip steel, that way I have less cutting.
Ditto, AND you get a drop to make a weld washer out of
Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by korda View Post
I finally broke down and bought a good set of step drills. Just take care of them by not spinning them too fast and keeping them cool with oil. Once the initial step is dull, the whole thing is junk.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 25234
I ended up making a new horseshoe piece for my bender (left) so I could make alternate bends within a decent distance of each other.
Attached Images

Aaronius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 37649
Send a message via MSN to Blue MT. SnowRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius View Post
I ended up making a new horseshoe piece for my bender (left) so I could make alternate bends within a decent distance of each other.
Damn good idea there
Old 11-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
APU

Member # 37668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
Heres one I recently started doing....

Since I always end up with alot of scrap pieces of tube 4"-6" I started to just notch both ends in 5 degree increments...

so I end up with a tube with a 5 degree on one end and a 10 degree on the other,next tube has a 15 degree and a 20 and so on....

these come in super handy when you need to know the correct notch angle(especially if if your notch intersects with a bend!!!) and cant tell if you need a 20 or a 30 degree notch....by having these scrap pieces around you can hold one up and know what your notch needs to be.

(note: if anyone needs pics I can get them for ya but I thing its pretty self explanitory....)

Also...

Before you go and buy one of these liquid filled angle finders(that are pretty hard to read....)

Go to sears and buy this digital torpedo level that happens to have a magnet that keeps it stuck....

This tool comes in handy in multi-plane bends as well as two bends in phase...
i've also used a muffler clamp. dosent hold the level but has worked for me, i'll be making one of your get ups though.

Last edited by APU; 11-01-2009 at 01:08 PM.
APU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Weld washers.
Drilling either the inside hole or hole sawing the outside is easy. It's holding the little guy without marring it all up to do the second process is the trick.
What I do is hole saw the blank first all the way through, then tack it back in place to hold it for drilling the inside hole to the final diameter. Then cut the tacks and do a little finish sanding.
Pictured are 1-3/4 diameter washers with 3/4" inside holes.

How else do people do it?
I just have a set of solid rods that have been turned down on one end to fit in the pilot bit part of the hole saw arbour. Simply drill your center holes to the desired size, insert the right size rod in the hole saw arbour and finish the washer. If you don't want to make up a complete set you can use bronze bushings as spacers etc.

If a lathe idiot like me can make the bits on a lathe anyone can...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in