info on Ford Super Duty Dana 60 axle - Page 143 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #3551 (permalink)

Member # 159557
Likely, but no star, so I'll leave it at that.
JETHROBODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 09:05 AM   #3552 (permalink)

Member # 188843
Guys,

This weekend I was able to test the fitment of a big bell RCV in the 05+ F250/350 outers.

What I can confirm is that they fit without much mods needed. IE the lower BJ stem had to be cut/ground off some to fit the orange dome but that was it. The bell rotates and turns without any issues.

The problem is installing it. With an axle shaft connected, there is no way to install/remove the knuckle after the shaft and bell are slid in the axle. All these pictures down there have been taken without an axleshaft installed for this reason.

I removed the upper BJ to simulate what would happen if a BJ eliminator kit was installed on this knuckle. Even though it helps there is still about 1/2’’ of stub shaft that doesn’t fit through the knuckle. I was supposed to have the kit from Nick Barna installed but some shipping issues prevented this to happen.

After talking with Nick (great guy BTW), we came up with a list of mods to do to his upper BJ eliminator kit in order to work with the bell. We also talked about a lower BJ to KP style conversion in order to remove the whole knuckle in one shot and give access to the bell.

I really want to thank Ricky and John @ RCV for sending me a bell and dome free of charge for testing purposes.

I also want to thank Nick for spending quite a bit of time exchanging ideas and pictures with me. He’s a wheeler himself and is definitely interested in improving his product and listening to good inputs. He just upgraded to a CNC lathe in order to bang some more of his BJ kits out and I’m definitely in the testing batch for his lower kit when it comes out.

I strongly believe there is a way to make a RCV big bell work in these axles, but with what’s available on the market at the moment, it’s a no-go. I’m glad I tested before ordering.

For my goal, I’ve been so impressed by the RCV parts and support I got that two pairs of Reid Super KP C’s and Knuckles will be ordered shortly to be able to run these awesome shafts/CVs front and rear.

Here are some pics. LMK if I can help or you have any questions.

Last edited by Bebop; 10-22-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #3553 (permalink)

Member # 188843
And, a few more pics I couldn't fit in the other post :

Old 10-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #3554 (permalink)

Member # 83301
I'm confused? what doesnt fit? It looks like you have the right amount of stub to engage the unit bearing?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #3555 (permalink)

Member # 108736
I could only assume the bell doesn't fit through the opening in the knuckle? Only thing I could see preventing assembly.
cheapthrillb2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #3556 (permalink)

Member # 188843
Not trying to be a smart ass, but did you guy read the post ?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #3557 (permalink)

Member # 208352
I am getting ready to release my kit as a vendor here on Pirate this week for the 99-04 SD 60 which can be run with the RCV's without a single issue. After it releases I'm going to finish up my kit I've begun on the 05+ SD to accommodate you guys going bigger. I wasn't going to do one for them, but I've had too many ask to not offer a kit.

Both kits feature a 7/8" grade 8 fine threaded bolt, low profile steel insert lock nut used in hi vibration applications. Also they have optional adjustability of 2* in whatever direction chosen.
06silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #3558 (permalink)

Member # 159557
If you machine out the last inner lip on knuckle, bell should pass through, then pop boot on like a normal 60 install.
JETHROBODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #3559 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
Not trying to be a smart ass, but did you guy read the post ?
I did, three times. Have the same question. First of all, thanks for going through all that and sharing it here. If the bell fit with just a little grinding to the lower bj stud, what makes it a no go? Just the fact they the knuckle can't come off with the shaft installed? Or am I missing something else?
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #3560 (permalink)

Member # 188843
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
I am getting ready to release my kit as a vendor here on Pirate this week for the 99-04 SD 60 which can be run with the RCV's without a single issue. After it releases I'm going to finish up my kit I've begun on the 05+ SD to accommodate you guys going bigger. I wasn't going to do one for them, but I've had too many ask to not offer a kit.

Both kits feature a 7/8" grade 8 fine threaded bolt, low profile steel insert lock nut used in hi vibration applications. Also they have optional adjustability of 2* in whatever direction chosen.
Pics/infos on kits ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETHROBODEAN View Post
If you machine out the last inner lip on knuckle, bell should pass through, then pop boot on like a normal 60 install.
Maybe but I wasn't able to test. I don't want to spread infos that are not 100% verified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
I did, three times. Have the same question. First of all, thanks for going through all that and sharing it here. If the bell fit with just a little grinding to the lower bj stud, what makes it a no go? Just the fact they the knuckle can't come off with the shaft installed? Or am I missing something else?
Yep, you got it. Just the fact they the knuckle can't come off with the shaft installed nor the bell fits through the knuckle opening makes it a pretty big deal IMO...

Last edited by Bebop; 10-22-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #3561 (permalink)

Member # 208352
I've got my star and I'm putting things together today for you guys. I'm also working on a jk44 kit. Pics are processing now for me to post with how my kit works.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #3562 (permalink)

Member # 108736
But if you take the inner lip of the knuckle off, Install the knuckle on the ball joints, hold the orange boot in place, slide the innershaft into position, the install the bell through the knuckle onto the shaft and boot it should all assemble and fit with grinding of the lower ball joint?

In theory of course.

Last edited by cheapthrillb2; 10-22-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #3563 (permalink)

Member # 188843
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrillb2 View Post
But if you take the inner lip of the knuckle off, Install the knuckle on the ball joints, hold the orange boot in place, slide the innershaft into position, the install the bell through the knuckle onto the shaft and boot it should all assemble and fit with grinding of the lower ball joint?

In theory of course.
Assuming removing the inner lip is enough to fit the bell and still center the UBs, yes.

Also worth noticing that installing the orange dome on the bell is a major pain in the ass, I used the 50to press after trying to hammer it on without success. Little overkill, but worked nice.

So I don't know how easy it would be to install and remove in the knuckle.

I need to have that lip machined off to check. Anyone is/knows of a good machinist in the TN/VA area ?

Last edited by Bebop; 10-22-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #3564 (permalink)

Member # 108736
On my std bell SD60 I use the bearing to draw the bell into the boot with some extra persuasion with the tool they provide. Idk if the bigger bell and boot are any harder to install.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #3565 (permalink)

Member # 188843
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrillb2 View Post
On my std bell SD60 I use the bearing to draw the bell into the boot with some extra persuasion with the tool they provide. Idk if the bigger bell and boot are any harder to install.
Compared to a Dana60 dome/boot, I felt this was significantly harder to press in.

Using the bearing would be the way to go I think. But can't confirm that until I've got a knuckle with the lip machined off.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #3566 (permalink)

Member # 208352

Bronze bushing option with 2* adjustment
Old 10-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #3567 (permalink)

Member # 208352

Good thing on my kit is the installer has the option of how high to position the kit in order to accommodate the RCV shafts. This is why I go with fine threads and a vibration resistant steel inserted lock nut. The shafts don’t need to be removed to adjust the nut should you need to and if the spherical bearing ever needs replaced it can also be done without removing the shafts.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #3568 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
Yep, you got it. Just the fact they the knuckle can't come off with the shaft installed nor the bell fits through the knuckle opening makes it a pretty big deal IMO...
I didnt see any mention of the bell not fitting through the hole and was thinking it could slide through allowing the knuckle to be removed. Makes sense now.

Last edited by chris demartini; 10-22-2018 at 12:57 PM.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #3569 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
I take it no one has ever installed a set in a BJ dana 44.....

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #3570 (permalink)

Member # 188843
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini View Post
I didnt see any mention of the bell not fitting through the hole and was thinking it could slide through allowing the knuckle to be removed. Makes sense now.
I edited for that. Yeah, I'm an asshole. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
I take it no one has ever installed a set in a BJ dana 44.....

@06silverback : Can't see any pics. Is it just me ?
Old 10-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #3571 (permalink)

Member # 208352

@06silverback : Can't see any pics. Is it just me ?[/QUOTE]

I can see them. Not showing up for you? I posted up in the vendor section as well
Old 10-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #3572 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Where do the Crane knuckles and C's fall, size wise?
Old 10-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #3573 (permalink)

Member # 188843
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
I can see them. Not showing up for you? I posted up in the vendor section as well
Can't see any pics, including in your thread in the vendor section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Where do the Crane knuckles and C's fall, size wise?
Depends, the regular 60 Crane C's and Knuckles do not fit these Big Bells at all, but the Crane Magnum C's and Knuckles will take the big bells no problem.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #3574 (permalink)

Member # 703953
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETHROBODEAN View Post

Yep. Just like 3 years ago lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eat.sleep.wheel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #3575 (permalink)

Member # 188843
I think I have found someone willing to machine the lip so we can try to fit the bell through. I'll keep you guys posted.

@06silverback : I can see the pics now...

Here is the kit from Nick Barna.
It's $275 shipped and doesn't require any machining. But does require welding.
He is working on a version without the nut, with a threaded insert, that would fit the RCV big bell.

Last edited by Bebop; 10-22-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in