info on Ford Super Duty Dana 60 axle - Page 153 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2019, 01:53 AM   #3801 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 260337
Quote:
Originally Posted by YROC FAB. View Post
Any one have the leads to the factory 1550 shaft assembly's for cheap? I remember seeing them in this thread but that could of easily been 100 pages ago

This is where I got mine.

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c27...2005_and_newer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #3802 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer XJ View Post
This was posted very early in here. Not knuckles but still really show the size difference.
While I'm not disputing the strength of the 05+ axle, keep in mind that a Kingpin style inner-c will always be smaller since the knuckle attaches to it on the outside of the inner-c at both the top and bottom. On the BJ style knuckles, the BJ are both below the inner-c contact points so it inherently must have a larger C.

Still, the BJ separation is larger than the KP separation. But just keep it in mind.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #3803 (permalink)

Member # 481466
Quote:
Any one have the leads to the factory 1550 shaft assembly's for cheap? I remember seeing them in this thread but that could of easily been 100 pages ago
Drivetrain America carries them too when they are available.
LS-YJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #3804 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 140878
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
While I'm not disputing the strength of the 05+ axle, keep in mind that a Kingpin style inner-c will always be smaller since the knuckle attaches to it on the outside of the inner-c at both the top and bottom. On the BJ style knuckles, the BJ are both below the inner-c contact points so it inherently must have a larger C.

Still, the BJ separation is larger than the KP separation. But just keep it in mind.
Correct but as you can see, the 05+ inner C is more beefy, especially the upper portion.

I want to note that All BJ D60s’ (except for 99-01 dodge’s bastardized D60s) both upper & lower carry the weight while KP is only on lower. (Keep that in mind with those upper ball joint eliminator kits )
TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #3805 (permalink)

Member # 127171
Quote:
Everyone has been sold out for about 4-5 months now. Fusion said they would be making chromo sometime this year.

Fusion 4x4

https://www.fusion4x4.com/online-sto...350-p112565271

Drivetrain America

https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/10...80-axle-joint/

Denny's Driveshaft

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p40...ford_05_t.html
sleepsontoilet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #3806 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Correct but as you can see, the 05+ inner C is more beefy, especially the upper portion.

I want to note that All BJ D60s’ (except for 99-01 dodge’s bastardized D60s) both upper & lower carry the weight while KP is only on lower. (Keep that in mind with those upper ball joint eliminator kits )
Yep, and your second sentence also explains why the upper portion of the 05+ is so much beefier than the KP inner-c - the KP inner C carries all of the vehicle weight on the lower section of the inner-c. The upper kingpin is only there for alignment.

Anywho, this is mostly just a PSA / FYI for those reading. Don't go throwing your Kingpin axles in the scrap bin just because of the inner-C size

Other reasons... maybe

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 02-18-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #3807 (permalink)

Member # 208352
Quote:

Neither mine or Nicks kit have had a documented failure. We would have seen one by now if there was something we both overlooked during designing them. One kit has adjustability, the other does not. Both are designed differently and work very well. We have both made adjustments to our kits to cater to our customers and I follow up regularly with a few selective ones to get feedback/updates on performance.

2 weeks ago a bouncer running my kit broke a drivers side stub shaft, which somehow either backed off the nut/broke the top off the lower BJ (not sure which happened 1st). The upper took ALL the stress when it came down hard with his right foot down and it did exactly what it was designed to do. The expensive parts like the 300m u-joint and inner shaft yolk was saved. That's the exact reason I used bearing bronze in the racing/bouncer applications because it's strong enough to survive and it won't put all the stress on the top of the steering knuckle, possibly breaking it. The assembly held together and the bronze bushing took a beating and was removed to put another in.
06silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #3808 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
2 weeks ago a bouncer running my kit broke a drivers side stub shaft, which somehow either backed off the nut/broke the top off the lower BJ (not sure which happened 1st). The upper took ALL the stress when it came down hard with his right foot down and it did exactly what it was designed to do. The expensive parts like the 300m u-joint and inner shaft yolk was saved. That's the exact reason I used bearing bronze in the racing/bouncer applications because it's strong enough to survive and it won't put all the stress on the top of the steering knuckle, possibly breaking it. The assembly held together and the bronze bushing took a beating and was removed to put another in.
Pics?
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #3809 (permalink)

Member # 208352
I didn't bother to take pics, but should've. In my kit the bronze bushing exits the inner C and runs approx 1" to 3/4" to the outer steering knuckle. The bushing had been tweaked towards the axle and it put a slight ridge on the bronze right where it exited the bottom side of the knuckle. It was just enough to where it couldn't be smacked back up thru the C. The top part of the bushing (where the flange is) was cut off and the remaining portion was punched out the bottom side. New bushing went it, reassembled and was good to go.
On almost every pic of a bent/failed upper BJ customers have sent me the shank is bent right where it exits the stock bushing. Most of them are bent backwards from taking hard hits because of the radial load the upper shank sees. The 99-04 and 05+ use the same upper BJ, but the difference is the height of the knuckle on the 05+ axles lessens the stress on that upper. I see them both bending, but more 99-04's overall. Everyone's building bigger stuff with more horsepower and driving with wreckless abandon, so I guarantee I'll see just as many 05+ develop upper problems.

I had 2 customers run the 3* bronze bushing kits at KOH without issues/failures.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #3810 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsontoilet View Post
Everyone has been sold out for about 4-5 months now. Fusion said they would be making chromo sometime this year.

Fusion 4x4

https://www.fusion4x4.com/online-sto...350-p112565271

Drivetrain America

https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/10...80-axle-joint/

Denny's Driveshaft

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p40...ford_05_t.html
not sure what the deal is on these but came across them in a search

https://www.yukongear.com/productdet...x?ProdID=11848
https://www.yukongear.com/productdet...x?ProdID=13473
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #3811 (permalink)

Member # 267321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
Those are 1480 u joint shafts, I called and asked them about those awhile back. I ended up going 300m rcv after all the dead ends trying to get shafts. Dynatrac wont even make custom length inner shafts. The ouversons were a no go because they only make stubs that engage the unit bearing directly and I'm not doing that on something that sees plenty of road miles. They cost big money, but I didn't even want to think about needing spares.
wellstig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #3812 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellstig1 View Post
Those are 1480 u joint shafts, I called and asked them about those awhile back. I ended up going 300m rcv after all the dead ends trying to get shafts. Dynatrac wont even make custom length inner shafts. The ouversons were a no go because they only make stubs that engage the unit bearing directly and I'm not doing that on something that sees plenty of road miles. They cost big money, but I didn't even want to think about needing spares.
yea they kinda looked like 1480 and theres no technical info what so ever so thats why i said i wasnt sure what the deal is on them
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #3813 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
yea they kinda looked like 1480 and theres no technical info what so ever so thats why i said i wasnt sure what the deal is on them
The year range kind of gave it away, since they're "direct replacements for 05-12", but it definitely wasn't explicitly stated.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #3814 (permalink)

Member # 490617
Thinking about building something like a 609 hybrid, wondering if 2WD F550 axle would be good place to start. Those are the same as the 4WD 450/550 fatboy knuckles? What parts would be needed to convert outers to 4WD? And is anybody making 9" housing center-sections for 3.75" tube, or would have to buy something for 4" and sleeve tubes to fit? Ideally looking for a compact center housing, for front axle, so drivetrain/chassis clearance is a big factor.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #3815 (permalink)

Member # 108736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
I didn't bother to take pics, but should've. In my kit the bronze bushing exits the inner C and runs approx 1" to 3/4" to the outer steering knuckle. The bushing had been tweaked towards the axle and it put a slight ridge on the bronze right where it exited the bottom side of the knuckle. It was just enough to where it couldn't be smacked back up thru the C. The top part of the bushing (where the flange is) was cut off and the remaining portion was punched out the bottom side. New bushing went it, reassembled and was good to go.
On almost every pic of a bent/failed upper BJ customers have sent me the shank is bent right where it exits the stock bushing. Most of them are bent backwards from taking hard hits because of the radial load the upper shank sees. The 99-04 and 05+ use the same upper BJ, but the difference is the height of the knuckle on the 05+ axles lessens the stress on that upper. I see them both bending, but more 99-04's overall. Everyone's building bigger stuff with more horsepower and driving with wreckless abandon, so I guarantee I'll see just as many 05+ develop upper problems.

I had 2 customers run the 3* bronze bushing kits at KOH without issues/failures.

Do you have a link to your kit? I bent my rf upper ball joint stud last weekend and need to take it apart. Figured I'd look into an eliminator kit.
cheapthrillb2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 09:28 PM   #3816 (permalink)

Member # 127171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Thinking about building something like a 609 hybrid, wondering if 2WD F550 axle would be good place to start. Those are the same as the 4WD 450/550 fatboy knuckles? What parts would be needed to convert outers to 4WD? And is anybody making 9" housing center-sections for 3.75" tube, or would have to buy something for 4" and sleeve tubes to fit? Ideally looking for a compact center housing, for front axle, so drivetrain/chassis clearance is a big factor.
Just machine the tubes to 3.5" ID and weld onto a 3.5" housing.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:33 PM   #3817 (permalink)

Member # 22267
Send a message via AIM to HEEPJEEP
Quote:
downtofab.com has a few short sides in stock. I am told the long sides will be back in stock real soon!

Last edited by HEEPJEEP; 02-28-2019 at 11:34 PM.
HEEPJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 11:36 PM   #3818 (permalink)

Member # 22267
Send a message via AIM to HEEPJEEP
Quote:
Originally Posted by defbob View Post
And had the parts to me real fast
We try our best! Still out here shipping parts...
Old 03-01-2019, 04:25 AM   #3819 (permalink)

Member # 95448
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsontoilet View Post
Just machine the tubes to 3.5" ID and weld onto a 3.5" housing.

What size tires are you running?

My '99 Ranger is at the shop getting '06 F350SRW axles now . Yesterday we mounted my 39X12.50R17's and seeing how much ground clearance I had is awesome . With hybrid axles like yours I'd be able to drive over the heads of small children!
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #3820 (permalink)

Member # 208352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrillb2 View Post
Do you have a link to your kit? I bent my rf upper ball joint stud last weekend and need to take it apart. Figured I'd look into an eliminator kit.
Late seeing your post, i apologize. All of the info on my kit is in the vendor section. If you wanna PM me I can get you additional pics of it and get you any information you need. I exclusively sell kits thru Pirate and FB now because they get more traffic than websites without all the hassle of updating, ect......at least for now that's how I'm doing things.

Link to info on vendor section:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axle...elim-kits.html or you can find me on FB under "American Iron Offroad" where I've got full builds using the kits for front/rear steer and other builds I work on during the winter months. Groundbreaker Offroad is using the kit on his Wide Open Design build and some others from on here.

I'm attempting to get a product review in CRAWL magazine, so emailing back and forth.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #3821 (permalink)

Member # 490617
Know all the info is probably buried in here somewhere, but am having a hard time finding it, and looking at WMS, seeing a few different numbers have been posted, so want to ask and confirm:

1) Looks like most agree 250/350 are ~72" and 450/550 are ~78" after installing 8-lug unit bearings?

2) Axle tube diameter is 3.75" for 450/550, what about 250/350?

3) All knuckles are the same, or are different castings but will all fit 1550 shafts? Does that include 2WD 450/550 knuckles?

4) What is the distance from inner knuckle where tube is welded to WMS?

5) what is the angle of the ball-joint inclination and distance from u-joints centerline to WMS?

6) What is the centerline to pinion distance?

7) What are the lengths of the 250/350 & 450/550 long-side shafts? Wondering where would end up if we're to start with 450/550 housing and cut down long side to use 250/350 shaft.

8) saw in another thread that 16.5 HMMWV wheels (not re-centered) will not fit, wondering if they would clear the steering knuckle though, if might be able to solve that problem with custom brakes?
Old 03-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #3822 (permalink)

Member # 273025
Does anyone know if 99-04 knuckles out will fit 92-97 Ford D60 housing?
adamk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #3823 (permalink)

Member # 127171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun View Post
What size tires are you running?

My '99 Ranger is at the shop getting '06 F350SRW axles now . Yesterday we mounted my 39X12.50R17's and seeing how much ground clearance I had is awesome . With hybrid axles like yours I'd be able to drive over the heads of small children!
39" Reds
Old 03-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #3824 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
May have been noted somewhere in this thread, but does anyone have the part # for the inner axle seals for an 05+ axle handy? I'm needing to replace them. This is just the standard F-250/350 axle FWIW.

Edit: I think it is part # 2C3Z-3254-AA, but just want to make sure before buying some.

Last edited by DZ Fab; 03-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.
DZ Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #3825 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ Fab View Post
May have been noted somewhere in this thread, but does anyone have the part # for the inner axle seals for an 05+ axle handy? I'm needing to replace them. This is just the standard F-250/350 axle FWIW.

Edit: I think it is part # 2C3Z-3254-AA, but just want to make sure before buying some.
thats an old number, new number for the inner oil seals is EC3Z-3254-A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in