info on Ford Super Duty Dana 60 axle - Page 163 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #4051 (permalink)
Registered User
 
IDASHO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 83932
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 3,299
So.... way late to the party, and sorry if it has already been covered...

But what is everyone doing for OE equivalent or better tie rods for these Super Dana 60s?

My 2011 is just about due.

In the past I have going for Raybestos premium sealed units, but from what I can tell they are not making tie rods for this application yet.

Im all but done with Moog. Boots just do not seem to last.

Proforged???
Mevotech???
__________________
Kenny B.
IDASHO is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 06:17 AM   #4052 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Member # 188843
Location: South of France / Tennessee
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
Don't know where you're shopping, but I just got short and long side for less than $400 total shipped. That's inners, outers, joints, and seals.
Well that's pretty cool.
I was under the impression they cost about $300+shipping per side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCrawler1 View Post
I wish somebody would bring longfield's axle breaking machine back out and test some of these. I would love to see the results of that.
I know RCV has it now. They don't use it for marketing purposes AFAIK.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #4053 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Member # 267321
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnYota View Post
I see that more companies are selling the weld-on high steer kits. Is there any consensus on these kits? Anyone know of any failures?
I did the artec industries high steer kit. I chose theirs because the design had the most contact and welded surface area of all of them. One thing to note is that you will need a 10" ram to have 45 degree steering with it attached to the tierod. I haven't come across any reports of failures on these anywhere. I had 2 sets of knuckles tested with a pmi gun and these knuckles are cast steel, meaning they are easy to weld, which is probably why you aren't hearing of any failures.
wellstig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 01:56 AM   #4054 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
2big bronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Member # 66684
Location: Santa cruz ca 95007
Posts: 14,028
Blog Entries: 6
06 superduty front 60 at pick n pull in moss landing for $272 for anyone that cares
__________________
Quote:
89 and carbed with a 4 speed. That's like saying the hooker was great, but she had a penis and herpes.
Wait, you Toyota fags are into that.
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 05:48 AM   #4055 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Member # 290826
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellstig1 View Post
I did the artec industries high steer kit. I chose theirs because the design had the most contact and welded surface area of all of them. One thing to note is that you will need a 10" ram to have 45 degree steering with it attached to the tierod. I haven't come across any reports of failures on these anywhere. I had 2 sets of knuckles tested with a pmi gun and these knuckles are cast steel, meaning they are easy to weld, which is probably why you aren't hearing of any failures.
I bought a kit from Jesse Haines when he first launched them. Has been holding up good for a couple years now, 44" PBRs and full hydro. The Artec kits look pretty nice and the knuckles definitely weld way better than the cast iron kingpin stuff.
__________________
'99 Sierra - 5.3L/SM465/06 Ford 60/10.5/4.56's/ H1's/44" PBR's/Full Hydro
'02 Duramax "Maddmaxx"
jcgrobbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #4056 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
MtnYota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 83913
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgrobbe View Post
I bought a kit from Jesse Haines when he first launched them. Has been holding up good for a couple years now, 44" PBRs and full hydro. The Artec kits look pretty nice and the knuckles definitely weld way better than the cast iron kingpin stuff.
Anything special with the welding? Preheat/MiG/Post heat/wrap?
__________________
'85 Xtra Cab 3rz,Duals, D60/14b, Detroit front/rear, 35spline chromos,rears/chevys, bad temper
MtnYota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #4057 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7683
Location: san francisco
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
06 superduty front 60 at pick n pull in moss landing for $272 for anyone that cares
They have a pick n pull down there.....totally worth the traffic fight to get there. If it has 4.30 gears too one could wish.
__________________
70' faux bronco buggy
bent70 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #4058 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Member # 290826
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnYota View Post
Anything special with the welding? Preheat/MiG/Post heat/wrap?
Gave it the 'ol college try:

Front end had been sitting out in the sun for a few hours on a 100 degree day, knuckles stripped and still on axle. Tacked it in place and used MAP torch for localized preheat. Miller 212 MIG with ER70 wire. I think I might have wrapped them in towels afterwords to slow the cooling, but nothing proper like a welders blanket.

Now that I'm not a broke college student working outside, I'd probably give them a more proper preheat and cooldown along the lines of a KP60 knuckle just to be thorough though lol.
__________________
'99 Sierra - 5.3L/SM465/06 Ford 60/10.5/4.56's/ H1's/44" PBR's/Full Hydro
'02 Duramax "Maddmaxx"
jcgrobbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #4059 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
2big bronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Member # 66684
Location: Santa cruz ca 95007
Posts: 14,028
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bent70 View Post
They have a pick n pull down there.....totally worth the traffic fight to get there. If it has 4.30 gears too one could wish.
Several down here. 4 within an hour. 2 of them within 10 miles
__________________
Quote:
89 and carbed with a 4 speed. That's like saying the hooker was great, but she had a penis and herpes.
Wait, you Toyota fags are into that.
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #4060 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95025
Location: No Country For Old Men
Posts: 17,493
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
06 superduty front 60 at pick n pull in moss landing for $272 for anyone that cares

Beautiful!
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #4061 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7683
Location: san francisco
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Several down here. 4 within an hour. 2 of them within 10 miles
I was mistaking moss beach for moss landing...😒 im to lazy to drive that far...haha
__________________
70' faux bronco buggy
bent70 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 02:23 AM   #4062 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Member # 196160
Location: Norwich, CT
Posts: 688
I cannot spill all the beans, but affordable aftermarket 1550 05+ Superduty 35 & 40 spline chromoly axle shafts are coming at the end of the year. The outers will accept factory vacuum seals and the inners will be available in custom lengths for custom housings like mine.
__________________
1983 Bobbed CJ8 6.0/4L80/Atlas 3.0. UB D60/UB 14bolt, 42 Pitbull Rockers
1946 CJ2A

Last edited by defbob; 08-30-2019 at 02:25 AM.
defbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #4063 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7624
Location: McAllen,Tx
Posts: 3,966
Send a message via AIM to offroadman83
Quote:
Originally Posted by defbob View Post
I cannot spill all the beans, but affordable aftermarket 1550 05+ Superduty 35 & 40 spline chromoly axle shafts are coming at the end of the year. The outers will accept factory vacuum seals and the inners will be available in custom lengths for custom housings like mine.
Can't say crap like that on Pirate........spill em or else
__________________
2000 tj with stuff
offroadman83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #4064 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95025
Location: No Country For Old Men
Posts: 17,493
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadman83 View Post
Can't say crap like that on Pirate........spill em or else





AMEN!!
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #4065 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Member # 214947
Posts: 41
Any body using the trail gear outer knuckles on the 99-04 sd60 ??
abt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #4066 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 83301
Location: Chambersburg, pa
Posts: 6,194
Will these fit in a standard '05+ f250/350 SRW housing

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-23...ng-pinion.html
__________________
'79 chevy k30 vortec 350/sm465/205/205/5.13's 40" NITTO trail grapplers on dirtylife beadlocks.
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #4067 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Member # 188843
Location: South of France / Tennessee
Posts: 609
Yes
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #4068 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 83301
Location: Chambersburg, pa
Posts: 6,194
Are there significant quality differences between nitro, g2, SVL, and motive stuff....even ebay platinum torque....you can get a motive and SVl for 40-60% less prolly. Granted I trust eastcoastgearsupply....
__________________
'79 chevy k30 vortec 350/sm465/205/205/5.13's 40" NITTO trail grapplers on dirtylife beadlocks.
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #4069 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 83301
Location: Chambersburg, pa
Posts: 6,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
06 superduty front 60 at pick n pull in moss landing for $272 for anyone that cares
nice, just ordered a 4.10 one that is $300 delivered...
__________________
'79 chevy k30 vortec 350/sm465/205/205/5.13's 40" NITTO trail grapplers on dirtylife beadlocks.
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #4070 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 83301
Location: Chambersburg, pa
Posts: 6,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellstig1 View Post
I did the artec industries high steer kit. I chose theirs because the design had the most contact and welded surface area of all of them. One thing to note is that you will need a 10" ram to have 45 degree steering with it attached to the tierod. I haven't come across any reports of failures on these anywhere. I had 2 sets of knuckles tested with a pmi gun and these knuckles are cast steel, meaning they are easy to weld, which is probably why you aren't hearing of any failures.
jesse says on his site that for stock shafts you should run an 8", should you run 10" if mounted to the tie rod, Doing this now, most likely running 1550 shafts, and artec arms.
__________________
'79 chevy k30 vortec 350/sm465/205/205/5.13's 40" NITTO trail grapplers on dirtylife beadlocks.
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #4071 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Member # 267321
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellstig1 View Post
I did the artec industries high steer kit. I chose theirs because the design had the most contact and welded surface area of all of them. One thing to note is that you will need a 10" ram to have 45 degree steering with it attached to the tierod. I haven't come across any reports of failures on these anywhere. I had 2 sets of knuckles tested with a pmi gun and these knuckles are cast steel, meaning they are easy to weld, which is probably why you aren't hearing of any failures.
jesse says on his site that for stock shafts you should run an 8", should you run 10" if mounted to the tie rod, Doing this now, most likely running 1550 shafts, and artec arms.
On his website, he has the same description on the full hydro and crossover knuckles, which have have different lengths from the centerline of the balljoint. With my artec crossover kit, the tierod connection is 9" from the balljoint centerline and the draglink connection is 6.5"
wellstig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #4072 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Member # 267321
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
Will these fit in a standard '05+ f250/350 SRW housing

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-23...ng-pinion.html
They will fit, plenty of clearance.
wellstig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #4073 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 15,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
Are there significant quality differences between nitro, g2, SVL, and motive stuff....even ebay platinum torque....you can get a motive and SVl for 40-60% less prolly. Granted I trust eastcoastgearsupply....
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/44594800-post22.html
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #4074 (permalink)
hi-steer ninja
 
FORDTECHGURU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Member # 104639
Location: in da garage
Posts: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASHO View Post
So.... way late to the party, and sorry if it has already been covered...

But what is everyone doing for OE equivalent or better tie rods for these Super Dana 60s?

My 2011 is just about due.

In the past I have going for Raybestos premium sealed units, but from what I can tell they are not making tie rods for this application yet.

Im all but done with Moog. Boots just do not seem to last.

Proforged???
Mevotech???
EMF has tie rod sets for 05-up superduty. We are a dealer for them and the new ball joints also. We have ball joints in stock for $550/set of 4 with tool kit.
If you want rebuildable billet tie rods, give is a ring or email..
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FORDTECHGURU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #4075 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 15,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDTECHGURU View Post
EMF has tie rod sets for 05-up superduty. We are a dealer for them and the new ball joints also. We have ball joints in stock for $550/set of 4 with tool kit.
If you want rebuildable billet tie rods, give is a ring or email..
EMF is making 2005+ ford ball joints now?
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.