Electric Turbochargers!?!? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2002, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8257
Electric Turbochargers!?!?

I am assuming that this goes under the listing of "Too Good To Be True," but I have just started seeing them popping up all over the place.
Basically it looks like an a huge fuel filter, but is installed in the air intake system. It basically forces 450cfm(atleast the one I was looking at) into the throttle body with the flip of a switch. Claims are 60 hp! I doubt that is right. I ran a few searches and found a guy blabbering about an earlier model that gave him 10%-15% torque increase, and 25%-20% hp increase. If it is true, I'll take it! Hell, a proper nitrous system(and I mean done RIGHT, so don't tell me otherwise) will run near $1000, and with a brain fart or simple failure, it can still cost you a motor. The Electric SC runs like $50(Ebay) and will reportedly NOT harm a motor.
Any thoughts? My 4.3 will need a lot of encouraging to keep me as happy as my former 440c.i.d. BB Chrysler did!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twistedmetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2002, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Typical White Guy

Member # 9769
say it with me now.... "snake oil"

I haven't seen the ones you're talking about, but most of them only claim 2-3 lbs of boost at full effectiveness, and <1 lb at normal opperation. In case you weren't sure, that's not shit. If you have a link to the one you're talking about, we can give it a look. But the one's i have seen are a joke.

BTW, a belt driven sc lets say gives you 40-60% more hp (just generic numbers here, don't get too specific). And think of the power it takes to turn the sc to create that kind of boost.

and this product claims it can do at least 1/2 that only using an electric motor and your vehicle's stock 12V system. Better get yourself a bigger alternator (or two).

JMHO, i'm interested to see what some others say
________
TEEN FUCK TUBE

Last edited by Indyguy; 04-26-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Indyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2002, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Here's my favorite:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1862439331

Boat bilge blowers, got one just like it - on the boat

Old 09-26-2002, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8938
MAJOR fawking rice-a-roni

Saw these on EBay and LMAO ... And the better part, of course, is that guys are BUYING these things BTW, I drag race some times and hang out on a street racing BB. They saw these a few months ago and even emailed the guy who was selling it and told it was He emailed back that "it works" and "if they want to buy it, it is there choice" DUH!
Old 09-26-2002, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4288
Is "Conservation of energy" The right term to use here? This is like the old popeye cartoon where he put an electric fan in the back of his boat to blow wind into the sail and make it go.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2002, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
What have you gone and done??? Honestly after this post I'm not sure I can be your friend any longer. I don't care how good you can fab or weld. I am in total disapointment.

It was discussed here if you did a search your would know this.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...c+supercharger

Just go get a power inverter and use your leaf blower.

But really, buy whatever electric blower device you want, bring it down to EJ's dyno here in town and if it gives you even 5 hp gain I will pay for ALL of it.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2002, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 12575
why not

just get an arb compressor and plumb the pressure hose down the intake!
Old 09-26-2002, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5021
Re: why not

Quote:
Originally posted by jstarnes
just get an arb compressor and plumb the pressure hose down the intake!
Come AWN newbie, everyone knows that the ARB compressor is useless. You have to plumb your York compressor inline for a 50-60hp increase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Rockslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2002, 12:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
H M F

Member # 8758
Well I'm guessing you guys are all JUST SPECULATING!!! Anybody actually seen one? Oh, it's easy to talk crap about new ideas. It's OK to say "I think it won't work" but don't claim that DO know exactly what will happen. It is a valid question.

So here it is. A friend of mine has a Honda and is into the hole "ricer" scene (I'm not), and he actually tested it properly. He dyno-d the Honda which is stock besides K&N FIPK. Then he installed one of these electro-chargers (more of an electric fan really) and dyno-d it again. There was a real gain in HP. +7hp measured.

It doesn't act like a blower or turbo. Those actually compress the air and force more into the chamber. This fan spirals the air so it has less bad turbulence and speeds up into the chamber. If I'm not mistaken, that means it only really helps at higher rpm when the chamber has trouble filling cuz it opens and closes faster than the air can rush in. FACT: A very volumetrically efficient naturally aspirated engine will be lucky to fill 70%of the chamber with air at atmospheric pressure. At sea level, pure volumetric efficiency would fill 100% of the chamber at 14.7psi. A very effiecient one would be more like 100% filled but only 10psi. That means less weight off air/fuel, less power. This little gadget helps a little with the volumetric effieciency. Now maybe he's getting or 12psi. HP blowers and turbos are what, around 20psi?
Old 09-27-2002, 12:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
For Kayla

Member # 12343
Send a message via AIM to JParuBob Send a message via MSN to JParuBob Send a message via Yahoo to JParuBob Send a message via Skype™ to JParuBob
no no... i'm pretty sure these guys are right and it's a giant piece of shit and a giant waste of money...

Quote:
Butt secks isn't for everyone........but it is for me!
JParuBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2002, 03:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
please delete this thread!
it almost looks as though a couple of guys BELIEVE in functional 12v electric superchargering
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2002, 04:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 8667
Thumbs up

you guys are stupid i bought one of these
and put it on my nova with 38 ground hogs
and i got so much power i cant keep the ground hogs
from spining in the mud now

i must got 400 hp from it
flmanyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2002, 07:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8488
the leaf blower thing really works! but go with poulan gas one then you dont have to buy an inverter. but they only work with FI

Dead Sled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2002, 07:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
H M F

Member # 8758
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
please delete this thread!
it almost looks as though a couple of guys BELIEVE in functional 12v electric superchargering
Dude, you are a fawking class A moron. I told you there was an actual MEASURED GAIN IN HORSE POWER. Be it only 7 horses, it's still a gain. So don't delete this thread. Delete all the worthless posts like yours.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
Send a message via Yahoo to 1SAWB
WELL BEING IN THE PERFORMANCE IND. THERE IS ONE IN THE WORKS IT LOOKS LIKE A VORTEC OR A PAXTON WITH AN ELECTRIC MOTOR ON IT ..PERSONALY I THINK ITS A JOKE BUT.....
AS FOR THE YORK PLUMBED IN TO THE AIR BOX THE HORSE POWER WOULD EQUAL OUT FOR THE AMOUNT THAT THE YORK TAKES TO TURN AND THE AMOUNT THAT IT PRODUCES IS THE SAME .................LOL

in the work's

Das Buggy

1SAWB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2002, 09:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7753
The best electric supercharger I've seen is.... A japanese MR-2 model, but it's not really an electric supercharger, it just has a clutch like your AC compressor.

Oh and if your vehicle is japanese, and has 3 or 4 valves per cylinder, it's VE for at least a good part of it's rpm range is near 1, maybe even greater than 1 at one point in the range.

Ken

Oh yeah I bolted on that K&N and the intake tube and a 8" exhaust and I got like 300 hp more out of my Acura! BULLSHIT RICERS! Ya got to have something shittily designed in the first place to make the kinda claims they make.
Slowzuki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2002, 09:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
LIKE AN AC CLUTCH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHYO UVE WATCH TO MUCH MAD MAX OHGOD OH GOD THATS THE FUNNIEST THING IVE HEARD IN A LONG TIME. FIRST OF ALL THERE IS NO WAY THAT WOULD WORK. WHEN NOT IN USE IT WOULD BE A RESTICTION IN THE INTAKE IT WILL NOT WORK

in the work's

Das Buggy

Old 09-27-2002, 09:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
ONE LAST THING ON A ROOTS TYPE SUPER CHARGER LIKE A TOP FUEL CAR ECT. IF ITS NOT SPINNING THE FUEL COULDN'T GET THOUGHT THE ROTORS HENTS NO RUNNIE

in the work's

Das Buggy

Old 09-27-2002, 09:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2203
NOW CAN WE KILL THIS THREAD??????

in the work's

Das Buggy

Old 09-27-2002, 09:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Quote:
Originally posted by Im4yotas
So here it is. A friend of mine has a Honda and is into the hole "ricer" scene (I'm not), and he actually tested it properly. He dyno-d the Honda which is stock besides K&N FIPK. Then he installed one of these electro-chargers (more of an electric fan really) and dyno-d it again. There was a real gain in HP. +7hp measured.
I hate to call anyone out on stuff but I just can't let this one go. It's your fault for starting out with the "A friend of mine".

Let's see some dyno charts on the HUGE 7 hp gain. Please tell me he did at LEAST 5 before and 5 after pulls. How old is the dyno? When was it last calibrated?

I know the guy in town that owns a dyno shop, it does not take much for a 10 hp swing let alone all of 7 hp.

But then again we are putting 800 hp big blocks and 400 hp 1000+ tq diesels on the dyno. And that Honda has what, 103 hp?

This is the net, you have to submit the proof or it's just a story. Sorry bud!
Old 09-27-2002, 09:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Quote:
Originally posted by 1SAWB
NOW CAN WE KILL THIS THREAD??????
Maybe if you can stop YELLING.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:06 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 8257
HA,HA,HA! Damn, you guys crack me up! This is awesome! And Matt? Settle down, before I have to put your leash back on!
OK, Maybe I should have been more clear about my question. Is the IDEA feasible? Technically, it SHOULD do something, right? I'm not saying that it is going to happen for $50 on Ebay, but it could be the low end of a great idea. I can't count how many times I've heard someone say they should toss a little motor into those gay "Tornado" things, which means everyone is thinking along the same lines of cheap forced induction.
I was kinda wondering what happens to the hp when the "air pump" is off. Maybe, it actually slows down the air flow, so when it is turned ON and flow is regained it just FEELS like more hp! I think the idea is good, it is just missing something....
And 1SAWB? Why would I delete this thread? There is some actual brain activity being stimulated here. I'm just not sure if it is yours.

Old 09-27-2002, 10:15 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 8257
Oh, and I am sorry for not properly performing a search, Matt. My bad.
But, if it makes you feel any better, I went back and read the thread. Some good points, and some dumb ones. I think the fan in the back of Popeye's boat is a very good example! 50 amps is an incredible draw. You could run a small 4-5 amp motor to spin a seperate alternator? But would it even be worth the hassle? Doubt it. Guess I'm going gas!

Old 09-27-2002, 10:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
I did a search for 3 hours last night looking for info to either support or shoot down your idea. All I got was 5000 pages of advertisement. Not one site could I find that someone installed it and was happy about it. You know how the ricers are and the net. It's worse that this place when they find something that is cheap and "the shit". I would think someone just one person would have done a writeup.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 8938
Please don't forget that the "turbo" in this case ALSO acts like a RESTRICTION since it is impairing the flow of air when it is not turned on. Turning it on "might" overcome the fact that it is BLOCKING the air stream. Just some more fuel for the fire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in