Voice your opinion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2002, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10546
Voice your opinion

Yes, I know...
There are other boards where I could ask a "semi-newbie" question like this, but at least HERE most of you know what your talking about.

Some of you may have noticed from my posts on a couple of other forums that I'm doing backround research before buying a used SUV at the end of the year.

I'm not buying it to wheel with.
I need the ability to pull a Class III trailer and deal with the worst winter conditions imaginable.
I'm not looking for a stripped down pice of farm equpment either. This is going to be a daily driver for many years.

I'm sticking to the American trucks because I need to be concerned about maintainence costs in the SECOND hundred thousand miles.

I like a traditional part-time 4wd system with manual hubs, although I know that I may not be able to get that.

I'm not worried about year of manufacture but the truck has to be "tits" I mean in NICE shape. VERY nice shape.

So, my choices are basically:

Tahoe
FS Bronco / Expedition
FS Wagoneer
Cherokee / G.C.
Durango
Wrangler (Yes, I know... The Wrangler won't tow 5,000lbs)

I'd like your opinions on which of those vehicles would make the best choice and why.
nakona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2002, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Send a message via AIM to road1will
i think that if you can find a several year old grand cherokee with the 5.9L you will be more than happy. those things are quick and can tow too.

why arent you looking at larger vehicles like suburbans or crew cab trucks?
road1will is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2002, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5306
Send a message via AIM to reddwarf Send a message via Yahoo to reddwarf
2500 Suburban.

They came with solid axles til 1991 and it is easy to swap the auto hubs out for manuals.

Suburbans are MADE for what you are talking about, and more.

Old 09-28-2002, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5306
Send a message via AIM to reddwarf Send a message via Yahoo to reddwarf
Or if you want a Phord, I guess you could go with the Excursion. They have solid front axles and lockouts, as well as high towing capacity
Old 09-28-2002, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10546
Quote:
Originally posted by 9V
i think that if you can find a several year old grand cherokee with the 5.9L you will be more than happy. those things are quick and can tow too.

why arent you looking at larger vehicles like suburbans or crew cab trucks?
Overkill for my needs.
I need enclosed cargo space for my dog(s), my skis (plural) and assorted other stuff, but I don't need the passanger space of a suburban.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2790
Re: Voice your opinion

in winter driving conditions you will want a longer wheelbase than any of the vehicles you have listed..A longer wheelbase contributes to stabilityfor the towing vehicle.. If you dont need the passenger space why not just get PU with topper..Dodge or Ford Diesel would be my choice because of the better mileage and torque for towing....

Quote:
Originally posted by nakona
Yes, I know...
There are other boards where I could ask a "semi-newbie" question like this, but at least HERE most of you know what your talking about.

Some of you may have noticed from my posts on a couple of other forums that I'm doing backround research before buying a used SUV at the end of the year.

I'm not buying it to wheel with.
I need the ability to pull a Class III trailer and deal with the worst winter conditions imaginable.
I'm not looking for a stripped down pice of farm equpment either. This is going to be a daily driver for many years.

I'm sticking to the American trucks because I need to be concerned about maintainence costs in the SECOND hundred thousand miles.

I like a traditional part-time 4wd system with manual hubs, although I know that I may not be able to get that.

I'm not worried about year of manufacture but the truck has to be "tits" I mean in NICE shape. VERY nice shape.

So, my choices are basically:

Tahoe
FS Bronco / Expedition
FS Wagoneer
Cherokee / G.C.
Durango
Wrangler (Yes, I know... The Wrangler won't tow 5,000lbs)

I'd like your opinions on which of those vehicles would make the best choice and why.
hy_desert_4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2002, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 10546
I wouldn't be doing the towing in the wintertime, or at least not in the storm conditions I often find myself in when I drive to the mountains.

And actually, I've been considering getting a crew cab type pickup with a topper.
I don't need to carry passengers a lot but I do need to do it sometimes, so I need 4-5 passenger seating, but not the 6-7 or 8 passenger seating of an excursion or suburban.

Believe me...
I would LOVE to have an excuse to buy a 2500 suburban. But I do have to exercise some restraint and common sense here.

God I hate that.
Old 09-28-2002, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1868
Send a message via MSN to Grandpa Jeep
Have you considered a '91-'94 Explorer? I have a '94 which I bought it with 78K miles on it. It currently has 202K miles on it, and it's been the most reliable thing I have ever owned. I had to rebuild the engine at 136K, but that was my fault (I didn't check for leaks after changing the oil on it and the wife ran it out of oil the next moring. Ooops) And I replaced the clutch and rebuilt the tranny (Actually just put new bearings in it) at 175K. The only other problems I've had were the auto hubs and an MAF sensor. I don't know how often you'll be towing, but if its only occasional you should be fine. The heaviest thing I have towed with it is a V8 CJ-7 on a flatbed trailer. Starting on a hill is a bit of a problem, but once you get moving it tows very well. Anyway, just my experience, YMMV.

Last edited by Grandpa Jeep; 09-28-2002 at 08:39 PM.
Grandpa Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2002, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13555
Well you asked for my opinion.
If you are towing 5000lbs or so and a trailer of any length I would buy nothing less than a 3/4 ton of some sort. Being thifty and such I understand what your after, and combining all that into one rig is not easy but doable. The Surburban is by far the best "non pickup choice" due to the ability to buy low milage older rigs yet...the Excursion offering the same type of features but with a much higher buy in price. Both are good trailer towing rigs and both are built with rather reliable drivetrain and truck type components. My Surburban only has two seats in it and the rest is cargo space,and I find it VERY useful this way. I think many of the other vehichals listed are great choices for all your qualifications but the towing. Wheelbase is the answer to stable towing regardless of the weather conditions, and towing is much more pleasurable when not already maxing out the tow rigs pulling capacity. That all said, a crew cab pickup is still my first choice, pure function, and you can't argue these days fully loaded trucks have all the comfort of most cars.

NoRM
just offering an opinion
P|n-BaLL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in