Buildin' a Dana 70 Front: Need some help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
Buildin' a Dana 70 Front: Need some help

I'm building a front axle out of a Dana 70 that was a CJ10-A rear axle.

I'm building a CJ10 and I traded some stuff for another CJ10-A rear.
-link to my build thread:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730949

Name:  100_1426.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  39.3 KB

It already has 4.88s and a powerlok and it matches the rear axle. So I thought it would be cheaper and stronger than finding a 60 and gearing it out to match.
Name:  100_1370.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  46.2 KB

I came across a dana 60 without a carrier and hubs for a few hundred.
Name:  100_1354.jpg
Views: 2124
Size:  50.4 KB

I had a friend machine the tubes of the 60 c's to fit snugly in the 70s tubes.

As I'm getting ready to put it back together. I need help on the exact length I need the 70's tubes.

Here are some pics of approximately how far the short side shaft will fit into the carrier.

Is this good or should I shorten it tube more?

I'm not gonna weld it up today. So I'm in no rush. I just want to get it right before I do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TAWL_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 26940
Send a message via AIM to Clemsonkrawler
what was the length from the inner C to carrier race on the chevy axle? Thats the length your 70 should be. I hope you measured before you cut.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
It's actually a Dodge 60.

I measured. I just wasn't sure if the different chunks would throw it off.
But I went and checked with width from one carrier bearing cap to the other in the 60 and they are the same as the 70.

It actually puts me right on the money.

The problem I now run into is if I use the jeeps 32" center pin to center pin setup. I'll have to do some crazy machining on the chunk to run to bolts on one side of the spring.

I plan to 3 link the front one day, but it's definitely not in the budget anytime soon, and I wanna go wheelin'.

Other options would be to either redo the jeeps spring hangers and widen 'em to like a 36" center pin width.

-or-

Have a custom inner shaft made for the long side and shorten it several inches. Which would give me a 64" or so WMS to WMS.

That wouldn't be a big deal because I'm already planning to narrow the rear and use the yukon cut to length 35 spline shafts.

This option would mainly just cost more. It would be inconvenient that I couldn't use a stock premade shaft as a replacement, but I don't see me breakin' and inner shaft with the stock SD33 N/A diesel and 42" SX's.

But there might be one day in the future when I throw a more power engine in there.

Ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 23452
Cool build.

Is that weld on the carrier of the power lock, near the cross pin? If so why did you need to build it up? If not dieregard

Jason.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 51243
Just curious, but why don't you figure out the axle width you need (wms-wms) and then get some custom axles built? Or is this budget build?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5021
Whats the plan for axle seals?

The Rockslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 69441
dodge uses the same long side but a 15.96" short side compared to a chevy which uses a 17.67" short side. dodges are roughly 67" wms where chevy is 69" wms. You could also run 78-79 for shafts which are 18.6? and 34.56". Best bet since you have it is run the long side dodge axle (only a little bit longer than the 78-79 ford long side) and use the 78-79 short side inner. Should give you plenty of room.

Last edited by 99grandtj; 12-15-2009 at 06:46 PM.
99grandtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420willys View Post
Is that weld on the carrier of the power lock, near the cross pin? If so why did you need to build it up? If not dieregard.
Nope no weld.
I was gonna go with the seals it axle seals. Like the 14 bolt front Xtreme built. Or I could machine some "pucks" out of some left over 60 tubes for axle seals and have them be a really tight hammer fit to go inside the the 70 tubes in the carrier.

I was laid off from my day job 6 weeks ago. Before all the money I made from my audio/parts business was for building toys and funding all the travel expenses and junk that went along with wheelin'. Not dippin' into "our money" kept the wife really happy.

Now it goes to payin' bills.

So, I'm tryin' to build a capable crawler for not too much. I could have gone with dana 44s, leafs all around, no doubler, and 36" HMMWV tires...but if you look at the build thread, I'm skippin' the baby stage.

Oh, and I'm building my mud truck at the same time.

As I said, I'll have a custom inner shaft made for the long side it that's what I decide is my best option.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99grandtj View Post
dodge uses the same long side but a 15.96" short side compared to a chevy which uses a 17.67" short side. dodges are roughly 67" wms where chevy is 69" wms. You could also run 78-79 for shafts which are 18.6? and 34.56". Best bet since you have it is run the long side dodge axle (only a little bit longer than the 78-79 ford long side) and use the 78-79 short side inner. Should give you plenty of room.
Only problem with that option is that I already cut the short side of the 70 tube. And the tube coming off the 60 c isn't really long enough for me to feel comfortable sliding out of the 70 enough to account for the longer shaft.

I'm actually having to extend the 70's tube on the long side by throwing a 2" piece that I cut off what became the short side, but the tube on that c is longer. We couldn't have it longer on the short side cuz that's all that was stickin' out of the 60 on the short side.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 103621
This may sound dumb, but because it was originally a rear axle, wouldnt you need to flip it upside down for the wheels to turn the correct way, or am i way fucking off?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5021
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_white_shadow View Post
or am i way fucking off?
Go with this.

The Rockslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
No, you don't need to turn flip it. Only if you were running a rear engine setup.

The cool thing is the 70's chunk is nodular iron, so I can weld on it.

I could possibly have a perch machined and then I can cut a wedge out of a chunk and weld in the perch or something.

I just don't want to have to make a perch that's gonna make the spring sit 2" higher. I'm trying not to end up crazy high.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rockslut View Post
Go with this.
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 117070
If i remember when i get home i'll measure my dodge dana 70 front but here is a pick of the short side when were narrowing it. We never cut the short side, just the long side.

A before pic

Last edited by blazentrout; 12-15-2009 at 08:39 PM.
blazentrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
If you look up in my first post, my short side looks way shorter than that axle.

I found the measurements I took.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
Here's what I'm talkin' about. Kinda like the stock chunk was. I'll have to see if my friend has the capacity to machine it like that.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWL_BOY View Post
Here's what I'm talkin' about. Kinda like the stock chunk was. I'll have to see if my friend has the capacity to machine it like that.

aas long as you have 1inch or more of spline engagement is ideal, I wouldnt machine that chunk like a stock d60f gm, Id run long perches, cutting enough of the perch to still be strong, and then match it to the pumpkin so you can use ubolts, the longer perch just has to be slightly longer than the cast of the pumkin to catch on the ubolts.
REDDMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Quote:
The problem I now run into is if I use the jeeps 32" center pin to center pin setup. I'll have to do some crazy machining on the chunk to run to bolts on one side of the spring.

I plan to 3 link the front one day, but it's definitely not in the budget anytime soon, and I wanna go wheelin'.
First: Don't cut your diff housing up.

I'd suggest running this axle shaft in the long side: 660182-26
That will get you near 65" WMS, then just run the axle off set until you can get your 3-link.

Don't like that idea, then outboard your springs.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N View Post
I'd suggest running this axle shaft in the long side: 660182-26
That will get you near 65" WMS, then just run the axle off set until you can get your 3-link.
This is a great idea. I think the stock long side inner is 35.1" or so.

I need to measure and see where that would put my center pins on the axle housing. It'll definitely be better.

I actually like the idea of it being narrower without having to go to a custom shaft. I plan to run H1s with pressed centers. So I believe I'll be at 3.5" backspacing or so.

The rear axle can be whatever I want it to be since I was planning to narrow it anyway. I'm gonna make it where I can have equal length shafts on each side so I can have carry one spare(though I doubt I'll need it with the stock engine).
Where the best place to get the 32" inner?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
The 32" shaft would work perfect, but it looks like you can't get one off the shelf anywhere any more.

Anybody have an idea?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
Anybody have a source on the 32" spicer shaft?

If I can't find that I'm just gonna move the hangers out an inch on each side, and that'll solve my problem.
It's not that hard on a CJ10 since the shackle has it own hanger that I can just move over and box and brace it.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 4197
Quote:
Anybody have a source on the 32" spicer shaft?

If I can't find that I'm just gonna move the hangers out an inch on each side, and that'll solve my problem.
It's not that hard on a CJ10 since the shackle has it own hanger that I can just move over and box and brace it.

you are right that shaft was long discontinued....

with that said I have at least three leaning against the wall
I used to have several more I acquired back around 1996,probably at least 10. PM me if you are interested. And no they do not neck down. If my memory serves me right without consulting the spicer book, 660182-26 shaft were made for OPEN KNUCKLE KING PIN dana 70 fronts that are made for "off highway equipment."

Last edited by onetonwillysands10; 12-16-2009 at 06:52 PM.
onetonwillysands10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 117070
ok, i got the measurement, its 8" from the edge of the housing to the edge of the C. I wasnt thinking about how much narrower your pic showed, my bad.
The axle i posted came out of a front wheel drive dodge bus, so a place that deals with med duty trucks might have some differnt shaft options.
blazentrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
CrawlTunes

Member # 72810
Thanks though.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 12741
Send a message via Yahoo to steve gerstner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rockslut View Post
Whats the plan for axle seals?
Yea, i what'a see the tube seals?
steve gerstner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in