Axle ground clearance list - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaster85 View Post
im not asking for any measurements. how dificult can it be to measure from center of axle tube to bottom of diff? tire size, or mesurement from ground is irrevelant and not accurate
Tire size is irreverent. But it is difficult to measure from the center of the axle tube to the bottom of the diff. I guess you could put a straight edge off the bottom of the diff out to the side and measure to the tube, but the straight edge would have to be real level. Or you could just measure to the ground from the tube center and the diff and subtract. It's not real hard math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #52 (permalink)
Canuckastani

Member # 164167
2 foot level and a tape measure....

1993 Dodge W-250 CTD/Getrag 360/205/kingpin HO72/14bolt on 4Ds
2015 Yamaha WR250R
Boons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boons View Post
2 foot level and a tape measure....
Sometimes a two foot level is not handy, but usually there's some ground around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by waterhorse; 01-08-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
im not asking for any measurements. how dificult can it be to measure from center of axle tube to bottom of diff? tire size, or mesurement from ground is irrevelant and not accurate
What does it matter how it's done if the end number is accurate? Your posts added exactly zero to this thread.

I got the specs on a d60u

6 1/8"
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #55 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 206522
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
What does it matter how it's done if the end number is accurate? Your posts added exactly zero to this thread.

I got the specs on a d60u

6 1/8"
the end number will always be accurate if you do it the way I explained. Tire size, lift, wheel size just add more variables to the equation. it is what it is now go out and measure your axle ground clearance
urmaster85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
the end number will always be accurate if you do it the way I explained. Tire size, lift, wheel size just add more variables to the equation. it is what it is now go out and measure your axle ground clearance
No, it's not accurate to eyeball the center of the tube to the bottom of the diff, especially when it's in a rig and there is steering, sway bars, or whwhatev in the way.

Just because maths r hard for you doesn't mean you need to troll a tech thread.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #57 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 206522
you "measure" ,not eye ball, center of axle tubes to bottom of diff. do not make it more complicated for yourself than it already is for you. you cant really go by specs cause some housings might be shaved or custom fab'ed. also take into consideration pinion angle when you are measuring.
urmaster85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #58 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4421
14 bolt axle. 13 bolt crane cover. Smoothed bottom. 43" stickies with 7.5lbs air pressure. 13" clearance under bottom of diff. That's all I have to report.
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams View Post
14 bolt axle. 13 bolt crane cover. Smoothed bottom. 43" stickies with 7.5lbs air pressure. 13" clearance under bottom of diff. That's all I have to report.
Thanks for taking the time to post this.

But truthfully it doesn't help a builder much. Tires, air pressure, and tire bulge are a changing variable between every rig.

The only constant is the axle centerline to diff bottom measurement ( how ever you decide to measure it).

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 145904
dana 60 hgc 1.5"

winter4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2017, 07:07 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 181868
I don't know what a "Dana 60 HGC" is. Can't really see in the pic. If those numbers are right, it had better involve portals or "Atomic" axles.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:48 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Looks atomicish to me.

Winter4x, did you do anything for your front? Do you notice a defenite improvement in deep snow?
Old 04-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 145904
Nothing atomic about it. no 9" based parts. no expensive cv s .did not cost 10,000$. Only thing in common is a little extra ground clearance.
Have not done the front yet.
Helps to keep truck moving forward in deep fresh snow.
Would not build for a rockcrawler/dd but i like it for snow
Old 04-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #64 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1056
Kinda curious about this axle Winter. Do you have some specs / build pics of what it is that you have built?
ToyotaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 145904
axle is similar to corvette in that it uses single cardan u joints 4. I am using 1480 spicers and 35 spline shafts. detroit locker and 4.88 gears to match the front. will be going with lower gears when i build the front. Has steering knuckles pinned straight for now. Might do a build thread when i do the front.
Could build with more clearance... depends on how much angle your willing to put on the joints.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter4x View Post
axle is similar to corvette in that it uses single cardan u joints 4. I am using 1480 spicers and 35 spline shafts. detroit locker and 4.88 gears to match the front. will be going with lower gears when i build the front. Has steering knuckles pinned straight for now. Might do a build thread when i do the front.
Could build with more clearance... depends on how much angle your willing to put on the joints.
"Single Carden u joint" Do you mean the tires tilt in? Interesting. I would like to see a build thread. BTW, what year Vette does this?

Old 04-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #67 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter4x View Post
I'd definitely be interested in a build thread on this.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 145904
Has 4 joints so tires not tilted in. c3 corvette and c4 mid 1960s used rear with single cardans (non cv) style uj.
my version uses dana 60 low pinion. This style is not new. the late Mr. Longfield built a pair of axles like these in the late 80s or early 90s. also have seen other similar axles and some not so similar. going back to ww1. there is a picture of one with portal ends and my style center floating around on the web.
The possible variations are endless. cut/grind/weld/wheel
Old 04-10-2017, 07:22 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Ok, so they are an "Atomic" style axle. I was confused when you said single Carden. I could be wrong, but I thought Carden discribes the duel u-joint with a centering ball like on my Bronco. What you are discribing is just regular u-joints on short driveshafts. (Like on my old 79' Vette)

I meant no offense by saying atomic axles. I know that Atomic didn't invent them. I would still like to see your build thread. (Even just a couple better pics)

On another note, has anyone seen an axle with a Carden at the diff and a slight tilt at the wheels. I think that could work. Kind of look like the Mog tilt. LOL Might be able to get stock axles that plug right in to a Carden yoke. I guess there would be no advantage in front because you have to have a u-joint/CV anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in