tracked vehicle build up - Page 47 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 09:06 PM   #1151 (permalink)

Member # 105852
Sorry but I have been skimming throughout this thread and I understand that the tracks give you the much needed flotation on snow and the capabilities of a snowmobile, but wouldn't a set of paddle tires; custom # of paddles, + widths, heights of the paddles, plus different widths of the tire itself prove to be effective? Maybe I am just talking out of my ass since I don't have experience with real snow, but it seems to me like an awful lot of effort, time, and money to make some custom tracks. Don't get me wrong, I love to figure out a solution, fab, and possibly benefit from something I've made but....? I guess if I had long winters to keep my time occupied I would venture into a project like this. Maybe my ignorance doesn't see or realize what you all are seeing or know already.
dantheman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #1152 (permalink)

Member # 134964
You would never get the low ground pressure we can achieve with bolting on tracks. Snow is really soft an when break through you sink fast.
my_nanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #1153 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman27 View Post
Sorry but I have been skimming throughout this thread and I understand that the tracks give you the much needed flotation on snow and the capabilities of a snowmobile, but wouldn't a set of paddle tires; custom # of paddles, + widths, heights of the paddles, plus different widths of the tire itself prove to be effective? Maybe I am just talking out of my ass since I don't have experience with real snow, but it seems to me like an awful lot of effort, time, and money to make some custom tracks. Don't get me wrong, I love to figure out a solution, fab, and possibly benefit from something I've made but....? I guess if I had long winters to keep my time occupied I would venture into a project like this. Maybe my ignorance doesn't see or realize what you all are seeing or know already.
As I see it, tracks dont require as much of a lift, will fit on narrower trails, give more flotation and are easier to find than tires that are that big.

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #1154 (permalink)

Member # 721473
I would say it's because snow is much less dense than say.... sand, therefore while a pattle tire would dig well, to provide traction it will also dig down much easier in snow and and either act like a plow (pack snow in front of the tire) and now your just sinking and end up highcentered. Not to mention you absolutely don't want pattles on street even if it was legal at any speed.
Tracks add not only surface to surface contact spread out to a far larger area than a tire of any kind keeping the vehicle not in the snow but above it (less resistance). You can get track that is suitable for street use get you to the area you need or want to be and back and at an exceptable rate of speed with in reason given tempatures are low as tracks get hot at high speed and could stretch and/or fail.

More experienced poeple Feel free to add or correct anything I've said

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Cheapthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #1155 (permalink)

Member # 105852
I see what everyone is saying, but the only conflicting argument so far is taking said vehicle onto the street. Sure tracks spread the weight out but so do wide paddle tires- I guess I am just relating to LGP, ie, wide tracks of a dozer and not considering their length. Also, paddle tires are not all made with deep/tall scoops and are not as sepceptable to digging in as other designs. Not trying to start a pissing match, just honestly curious if tracks are that much-needed in every snow condition.....I guess it boils down to the density/hard-pack of the conditions.
dantheman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 12:48 AM   #1156 (permalink)

Member # 189138
The thing is, if you want to modify a vehicle with tires to be as effective in deep snow as one with tracks, it becomes a lot more expensive than bolting on a set of tracks. Can it be done? I say yes. Have a look at all the modified trucks in Iceland. You'll need some custom made 46" tires, the gearing and engine to turn them, the lift to fit them, and preferably a tire inflation system that can be operated from the cab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcgKdBBqq4s
So, it can be done, but if you think throwing on some wide tires will give you the same results as tracks the cheap and easy way you're delusional.
ilten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #1157 (permalink)

Member # 204888
The flotation on tires simply isn't as high as it is on tracks. I'm running 1.2 psi of ground pressure on my tracks where you would be at 3-4 on tires. Also, I'm running a stock 4.0L engine in my stock Rubicon and the tracks work fine. The horsepower and therefor powertrain required to run 46" tires would be enormous and very costly.

I've driven right past guys on snow tires. I'm sure that they enjoy their adventures but I can go further on my tracks with less overall cost.
Slinky Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 01:03 PM   #1158 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilten View Post
So, it can be done, but if you think throwing on some wide tires will give you the same results as tracks the cheap and easy way you're delusional.
Also, (looking at it from someone who has never run either), it would seem that tires wide enough to float on the snow with that little ground pressure would also need different axles to handle the stress of having the center of the tire sitting 10-12" further out than with a stock wheel.

Aaron Z

Last edited by aczlan; 01-30-2017 at 01:03 PM.
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #1159 (permalink)

Member # 134964
New protype boys..... it will be inservice for tyis year to see how all holds together. I converted an old set from years back to this walkin beam style to see how it all holds up.... by the way the old set i converted was an old sled bogie wheel style and after 4 years all the wheels were shot and excessive wear on inside of track. Sled parts just not ment for this weight an use....
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #1160 (permalink)

Member # 721473
They look pretty sweet

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Cheapthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 08:28 AM   #1161 (permalink)

Member # 134964
Thanks... im just intrested now in how durable the new bearings an wheels will be. If they are good. My next set will be completly like this. Shoulr be lighter and more smooth. But also cost more. Lol....
Old 02-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #1162 (permalink)

Member # 734169
Hey Guys, newbie here from central oregon. I joined mostly to ask questions about building these tracks. Wondering what you guys though about using 136 tracks on the rear and 121 tracks on the front on a suzuki samurai. Was going to tilt front and rear of each track a bit to help climb up on snow and hopefully lighten up steering. Where I live we have snow on the ground at my house 3 months of the year and in the mountains for 5 or 6 months. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
91Samuraiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #1163 (permalink)

Member # 734169
Well so far I have 2-136"tracks and got a line on 2-121 tracks. Each track is $20.all used but look good. Lugs measure about 7/8". Was planning on using some rims I already have for drivers. They measure about 16" which I think will work for 2.52 pitch tracks. Thinking about getting extrovert drivers made from umhw or something similar and bolting on like bead locks. What do you guys think?
91Samuraiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #1164 (permalink)

Member # 732841
Hello I'm looking for some hyfax to fit on my 1" by 1/8" flat iron but can't seem to find the exact fit. What year and model of sled did u guys use that fit that dimension. Thanks

Last edited by Ryan1981; 02-09-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Ryan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #1165 (permalink)

Member # 732841
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_nanc View Post
All done... i think powder coating stuff is going to be my new hobbie. Its so cool to see how good it turns out and easy to apply. Not like spray paint... ulgh.... no more paint fumes for me now...
How does your rim mount up? I'm interested in seeing that. Looks like a flange on the main part of the track and then a spindle mounted somehow?
Old 03-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #1166 (permalink)

Member # 134964
I finally hav a set on my 2010 ram...
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #1167 (permalink)

Member # 204888
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_nanc View Post
I finally hav a set on my 2010 ram...
Very nice! Are the fronts and rears the same length? I'm guessing they are but I think the picture is just distorted a bit from the camera angle.

Do you mind if I ask what idlers you use and where you get them from?
Old 03-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #1168 (permalink)

Member # 732841
And what hyfax did you use? I'm haveing trouble finding ones that fit my 1/8"X1" wide iron.

Last edited by Ryan1981; 03-08-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #1169 (permalink)

Member # 204888
In fairness, I guess I should at least share what I'm using too. My smaller idlers are standard 5.63" Arctic Cat idlers and my larger, 8" ones are custom built out of UHMW. Here's the drawing a produced for my large idlers. The dual row 5204 bearings take huge loads and press in just like a standard bogey idler

Old 03-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #1170 (permalink)

Member # 204888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1981 View Post
And what hyfax did you use? I'm haveing trouble finding ones that fit my 1/8"X1" wide iron.
I'm using an Arctic Cat hyfax but my runner is 1/8" x 3/4".
Old 03-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #1171 (permalink)

Member # 655506
Not to high jack your thread, but it seems relevant. ...
I have a set of Mattracks for sale. New $38,650.00. Selling for $20,000.00 obo.
Only have about 150 miles on them in the snow. Fits f150 and f250. Can be adapted to fit other trucks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
rkstonerock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #1172 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilten View Post
The thing is, if you want to modify a vehicle with tires to be as effective in deep snow as one with tracks, it becomes a lot more expensive than bolting on a set of tracks. Can it be done? I say yes. Have a look at all the modified trucks in Iceland. You'll need some custom made 46" tires, the gearing and engine to turn them, the lift to fit them, and preferably a tire inflation system that can be operated from the cab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcgKdBBqq4s
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkstonerock View Post
Not to high jack your thread, but it seems relevant. ...
I have a set of Mattracks for sale. New $38,650.00. Selling for $20,000.00 obo.
Only have about 150 miles on them in the snow. Fits f150 and f250. Can be adapted to fit other trucks.
Still think bolting on a set of tracks is less expensive? Don't get me wrong, I love tracks, but you can easy get axles/tires to match performance for less money. Just not as cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #1173 (permalink)

Member # 655506
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Still think bolting on a set of tracks is less expensive? Don't get me wrong, I love tracks, but you can easy get axles/tires to match performance for less money. Just not as cool.
Tracks are amazing. ..only selling them because they were on a specialized company vehicle for a route we no longer service.
Many ways to skin a cat...if you have the $$$ this is an easy, bolt on, bolt off set up that has crazy capabilities in the snow...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
rkstonerock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #1174 (permalink)

Member # 204888
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Don't use this ad for a set of used Mattracks as an indicator of snowmobile based track costs. I have much less than his asking price invested in my tracks. Mattracks are great "all surface" units but there are better and more cost effective solutions for "snow only" applications.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #1175 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
Don't use this ad for a set of used Mattracks as an indicator of snowmobile based track costs. I have much less than his asking price invested in my tracks. Mattracks are great "all surface" units but there are better and more cost effective solutions for "snow only" applications.
I have nothing but respect for the OP and others that go this route. I love following this thread. I feel it is much more difficult to engeneer and test and re-engeneer tracks to make them reliable. My point was it is not the easy or cheap route. Big axles/tires can be done cheap also. (With a lot less smarts required)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in