Front 9 inch questions. Flipping third? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 49754
Front 9 inch questions. Flipping third?

I'm thinking of doing a rear engine buggy with conventional rotation Motor/Trans/Tcase with 9 inches front and rear and flipping the stock third members to achieve standard rotation and say free hi-9's. I will be building the housings and I'm trying to do all this on the cheap.

I kno there is an oiling issue associated with this and I swear I've seen a thread to this nature before but have searched and can't find it for the life of me. I have seen some ideas with the say mog 9 stuff but very little.

For the front my plan was to swap outers from a 60. Is there a cheap aftermarket solution? I love the spidertrax stuff but cant afford it. Can stock kingpin D60 knuckles steer 50 degs? Then go with some Branik shafts maybe?

Also this is probably a stupid question, but a 35 spline 9 inch carrier will work with say most stock and aftermarket 35 spline shafts correct? Or is the degree on the splines different? I would like to run stock rear 60 for 70 shafts at least.

By using say something like this spool?
http://completeoffroad.com/i-123604-...yp-fs9-35.html

Looking for some insight and any related info would be great!

Last edited by Ford_KTM; 01-26-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Ford_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 35780
Been running a flipped 9 with 44 outters for 5 years, works great but if I had to do again it would use 60 outters. The biggest thing I found out quick was I had to use a good case. I tryed stock, busted them, I tryed nodular, busted them. Then I went to strange 3.25 case and have not had any more problems.
A2ZUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 137423
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2ZUK View Post
Been running a flipped 9 with 44 outters for 5 years, works great but if I had to do again it would use 60 outters. The biggest thing I found out quick was I had to use a good case. I tryed stock, busted them, I tryed nodular, busted them. Then I went to strange 3.25 case and have not had any more problems.
sounds like you need this diff gaurd http://bluetorchfab.com/store/produc...roducts_id=305
HornyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 137423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_KTM View Post
I'm thinking of doing a rear engine buggy with conventional rotation Motor/Trans/Tcase with 9 inches front and rear and flipping the stock third members to achieve standard rotation and say free hi-9's. I will be building the housings and I'm trying to do all this on the cheap.

I kno there is an oiling issue associated with this and I swear I've seen a thread to this nature before but have searched and can't find it for the life of me. I have seen some ideas with the say mog 9 stuff but very little.

For the front my plan was to swap outers from a 60. Is there a cheap aftermarket solution? I love the spidertrax stuff but cant afford it. Can stock kingpin D60 knuckles steer 50 degs? Then go with some Branik shafts maybe?

Also this is probably a stupid question, but a 35 spline 9 inch carrier will work with say most stock and aftermarket 35 spline shafts correct? Or is the degree on the splines different? I would like to run stock rear 60 for 70 shafts at least.

By using say something like this spool?
http://completeoffroad.com/i-123604-...yp-fs9-35.html

Looking for some insight and any related info would be great!
problem with wanting to build one cheaply and using d60 knuckles is they are not cheap to get. 60's cost 1000 bucks most of the time unless you find a good deal or all ready have one. and they got nothin close to 50* of turning. so you might as well go to spidertrax and get a roller kit for ruffly $1200 then you just need brakes axles and a 3rd pod. and have a crap ton of steering.

i really want to build a 9" front as well. and i started a thread a while back trying to get some info on building them. and it just turned into a fight on how much a d60 should cost. so good luck with this thread.
HornyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 05:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8402
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornyRedneck View Post
problem with wanting to build one cheaply and using d60 knuckles is they are not cheap to get.
TTB outers?
Inviscid Motorsports #9009
Thanks to; Ironman Offroad - Motorcity Machines - Branik Motorsports
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 33026
D50 outers
newer BJ d60 outers
AAM outers????
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1889
35 spline 60 shafts are 30 degree pressure angle; 35 spline 9" stuff is normally 30 degree pressure angle. The splines will fit unless you're working with "Mark Williams 35 spline 9" special spline" stuff (45 degree pressure angle).

The seal journals are in the wrong places to put 35 spline 60 shafts into a 9" carrier; they'll bottom into the snouts before you get the shafts fully seated. If you're trying to use off-the-shelf 60 shafts, you'll have to have them remachined; if you're having custom shafts made, you need to tell whoever's making them, which side is which, where you need seal surface, etc.

On the cheap, Randy's has a 35 spline 9" spool that fits stock small bore cases. A lot of guys break stock cases, though, so beware of that. An aftermarket 3.25 bore case will be a lot stronger, but if you've gotta save the cash, that's an option.

Stock 60 knuckles will not do 50 degrees. You can get close with a lot of work; I've done 42 with Reid knuckles, but if you're set on 50 degree steering on the cheap, Spidertrax is the way to go. That brings up another note, though--if you're really after cheap, limiting the steering down to something reasonable will save you a lot of cash and a lot of time, and unless you've laid everything out already, expecting to fit 50 degree steering is a pretty tall order.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 49754
good info thanks guys. looks like there really is no "cheap" way to do it unless you run into some great deals on good parts...
Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 35780
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornyRedneck View Post
sounds like you need this diff gaurd http://bluetorchfab.com/store/produc...roducts_id=305
Gaurding the case was not the problem, It was the stock casees would not hold up to the side pressure on the ring gear and would split the case between the bearings.
A2ZUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 49754
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2ZUK View Post
Gaurding the case was not the problem, It was the stock casees would not hold up to the side pressure on the ring gear and would split the case between the bearings.
Ok so there has to be a way to strengthen these housings. There has been a lot of people welding supports to cast parts to make them stronger. for example mog box horseshoe braces. Could some homebrew pipe remedy be the solution? I've personally never seen one break but I have heard its an issue. I will be building a ideally 2800# buggy with 300 horse. Which will be mounted to fairly light 42 inch irok rubber and aluminum wheels. Maybe just 40's tho...

Would something like this help??

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/9-Inch...ign=GoogleBase

Also right now cheaper is a higher priority than steering angle for sure.

So what is the best way to do the outers and shafts?

Dana 50 TTB is only 30 spline tho right???

Or should I just come to the conclusion that there truly is no cheap way to build a front ford 9 inch???
Old 01-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 63225
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ht=inch+oiling
TeenyCAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 145958
I have a set of d60 BJ inner C's if you are interested. Was gonna do the same thing, but make a sterling front axle instead.
camccardell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in