anybody attach factory hinges to their Trent fab hood? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4197
anybody attach factory hinges to their Trent fab hood?

I recently purchased a Trent fab hood. I am getting ready to start mounting. I would like to use the factory hood hinges on my jeep along with some Dzeus fasteners..Anyone have any problems with attaching the hinges or concerns? Thanks in advance.
onetonwillysands10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6569
I would shy away from the hinges ,unless you did some big supports I think it will lead to cracking. I have had my best results just using 1/4 turns. I just pop the 1/4 turns and throw the hood on the roof. Works well.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 61694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalcruz View Post
I would shy away from the hinges ,unless you did some big supports I think it will lead to cracking. I have had my best results just using 1/4 turns. I just pop the 1/4 turns and throw the hood on the roof. Works well.
AGREED! the hood is so light it will just fly around when its up, 1/4 trns are the to go . If you want a good fit don't do your final fit till after you have it all secured.

THANKS
YUKON GEAR & AXLE
OVERKILL OFFROAD
RACELINE WHEELS
PSC MOTORSPORTS
POWER TANK
93yj8? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 27231
Send a message via AIM to PUjeeper
we did, but there mostly costmetic. Used 1/4 turns on the back sides and the front horizontal fender. Top has the hinges and hood pins holding it down.

PUjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
I used my fj 40 hinges and made bottom backing plates for them. Up fornt I've got two hood pins from poly peformance. It's been over 100 mph with no problems
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6569
honestly most of my hood damage has been done while towing. Make sure you get it tight.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalcruz View Post
How do the quarter turns hold up to rock rubbing? do they pop off?

I need something to pull my hood in tighter on the outside edges by the cowl.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6569
How you drill seems to help alot, as well as how good of a job you did on fitting it. Also how tight the springs are are the female side of the quater turn. The hoods have held up great for me. If I get a crack, it drill the end of the crack and drill small holes on both sides of the crack and stitch it with safety wire. Just like sled plastic. Should be easy for a canadian.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
I used my fj 40 hinges and made bottom backing plates for them. Up fornt I've got two hood pins from poly peformance. It's been over 100 mph with no problems

Wilson,
When you say you made bottom backing plates I take that to mean that you made a plate , same dimensions as the top hood hinge minus not attaching to the firewall, that went on the underside of the hood. This basically "sandwhiches" the hood between the hood hinge on the top side and your plate(that you made) on the underside of the hood at the cowel end of the hood. Is this right? Do you have a photo?
The picture of the yellow jeep above has the mounted like what I am asking about. The hood hinges at the cowel in combination with Dzeus 1/4 turn fasteners at the rear corners and front corners of the hood.

For clarfication, I only mean using the hood hinges the are at the cowel that attach to the hood. I am NOT talking about the hood hinges out near the grille that hold the hood down. I can easily see where those hood hinges, the ones on jeep at the grille end of the hood, would be a bad thing.

Last question, if you had your choice, would you do Dzeus fasteners (1/4 turn) or hood pins in the front?
thanks everybody.

Last edited by onetonwillysands10; 01-30-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Yes, that's exactly what I did. The hood pinds are easy and provide some isolation due to the poly bushings. No specific pics at this time, but I can take some at the shop tomorrow.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I did. The hood pinds are easy and provide some isolation due to the poly bushings. No specific pics at this time, but I can take some at the shop tomorrow.
Wilson,
Great and thanks. If you don't mind taking the picture as you offered I would like to see photo as well. I will check this thread tomorrow then. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 86280
You can just brace the underside of the hinge area like the rc guys do to there bodies. Just take a piece of mesh(most use drywall tape) and lay it under the hinge area. Now cover the area with shoe goo or a similiar silicone adhesive. It adds a lot of strength to the lexan while still remaining flexible, I used to do my fenders when I raced to help the bodies last.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in