Psc Full Hydraulic steering problems - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 98792
Psc Full Hydraulic steering problems

Alright I ordered a psc full hydro kit minus orbital and I am having issues of blowing the seal out of the front of the pump (1405) I called psc and they sent me the wrong pump so the sent me another with lower pressure. I installed the new pump and it worked good until I drove it around the yard a bit the pump started to whine a bit and then the seal blew out of the new pump. The system is getting kinda hot it seems but not hotter than most of the systems I have heard of on here. Could it be air in the system or is it getting to hot? The res is vented to a bottle to catch any over flow and to keep the res full just kinda going crazy, I spent all this money on this stuff and its the only thing fucking up. Items installed are: Psc single ended ram, psc res, psc pump, derdale finned cooler from psc, full line kit from them also, steering valve is used but is open center and seems to operate fine. Any suggestions or answers would be a great help before I start going even more nutz. Thanks Tim Pics:
Attached Images

JeeperTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 55849
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperTim View Post
Alright I ordered a psc full hydro kit minus orbital and I am having issues of blowing the seal out of the front of the pump (1405) I called psc and they sent me the wrong pump so the sent me another with lower pressure. I installed the new pump and it worked good until I drove it around the yard a bit the pump started to whine a bit and then the seal blew out of the new pump. The system is getting kinda hot it seems but not hotter than most of the systems I have heard of on here. Could it be air in the system or is it getting to hot? The res is vented to a bottle to catch any over flow and to keep the res full just kinda going crazy, I spent all this money on this stuff and its the only thing fucking up. Items installed are: Psc single ended ram, psc res, psc pump, derdale finned cooler from psc, full line kit from them also, steering valve is used but is open center and seems to operate fine. Any suggestions or answers would be a great help before I start going even more nutz. Thanks Tim

Pics:
I don`t know if this could be your problem or not, but I had an issue with the main feed line... I Noticed that your reservoir looks to be mounted to your fender, I had a problem with my motor torquing over and pinch-closing the main feed line, mine would almost suck it self shut. I would try mounting the reservoir to the motor and try and get the hose so it dosen`t have such a bend in it... Just my .02 hope it helps.
mkozlows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 98792
K I just went out and remounted my res, its still on mt fender but I took the 90 off the feeder line and made the feeder line longer. My motor doesn't torque over very much (Poly bushings) so I kept it mounted there, also I didn't want to mount it to the motor because of the exhaust is really close to where I would mount it, and I kinda wanted to try and keep the res as cool as possible. I am letting all the air work its way out now, and will try to test drive it again to see what it does. I am thinking that the 90 in line with the feeder from the res was restricting it as well as the line was partially kinked, and starving the pump possibly? Not to sure I will update later tonight. Keep the suggestions coming please. Thanks Tim

Old 02-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 98792
alright I went out and test drove it around the yard and it seems to do a bit better. I bled the system by unhooking the ram and cycling the wheel back and forth to get out all air. But I did notice that the pump still whines just a tad when the system warms up to full temp. is this normal? I am running the amsoil full synthetic hydro oil and the finned cooler I think its either the fluid getting hot or the steering valve is on its way out. Jus need some advice though. Thanks Tim
Old 02-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Is the oil foamy when it whines?
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 98792
I'm pretty sure it is but cant say 100% next time I get it out I'll check it out what if it is though air in the system or sucking air or something? When I took it out today the damn fuel pump locked up for some reason so i'm going to try and pic one up tomm. while i'm in town for the wife!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 46653
If you are using their feed hose then get rid of it. Get better hose theirs sucks flat it is shit trust me I went through 3 pumps last year figuring this out.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 98792
well by taking the 90 off the feeder line it seemed to last londer before it started to whine so maybe the hose is getting sucked down? But this dosent make sence if the pump is building pressure and popping the oring out the front. Keepem coming guys Thanks Tim
Old 02-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 85317
I blew my psc pump on the low pressure side like 3 weeks ago and the guys a psc told me to change a couple of things around and i just installed a new pump from them for koh and i blew the new one on outer limits, i am kinda fed up with the 1405 p pump, if i was you i would try and find the tc pump and make it work with your engine
baker2087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 98792
yeah or get a heavier housing for the 1405 that way it cant flex and push the seal out. Maybe I need a bigger cooler not finned style or something, my dad I going to send me his orbital from Fl. to test it out and see if that changes anything. Thanks Tim keep them coming!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 44628
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerpeeler View Post
If you are using their feed hose then get rid of it. Get better hose theirs sucks flat it is shit trust me I went through 3 pumps last year figuring this out.
what type of hose would you recomend? took mine out today with a brand new PSC sytem TC pump and it seems to work awsome then stop working all the sudden and not wanna steer when I'm cruzin along??? all the air has been bled out of the sytem and worked well in the garage and around the neighbor hood

Last edited by yotaphil; 02-14-2010 at 11:02 PM.
yotaphil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 98792
Well if the hose is cheap it would suck the hose closed maybe a stiffer hose would not collapse. But on the other hand would a bad orbital cause these problems I'm not to sure if it would or not, it seems that the whole system is heating up all the same but if it were a closed center valve wouldn't the pump be way hotter than the rest? I did check the steering valve before I put it on by blowing air through the tank and pressure ports and it was free flowing. At this point I am kinda feed up with this steering system and am kinda second guessing dropping a grand on all this stuff, I feel like I could have pieced together a system on my own and probably wouldn't have this many problems, I don't know just kinda getting tired of dealing with it. Thanks Tim
Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 51335
Do you have any info on that valve? Closed centers are not the only ones that will kill pumps.

The tractor fluid is very thick. I have spoken with many guys that have cured whines by returning to power steering fluid.

I have all the specs on that if you want to call me, but its alot thicker than the specified fluid.

LG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="4"][B]817-270-0102[/B][/SIZE]
PSC Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 24980
I went all of KOh with ZERO issues and LG is on top of it when it comes to steering. Just relax and let the guys help you figure it out, trust me, once everything is mounted and sitting in the proper place, you will totally be a happy camper...

bringing the Hero out in all of us...
Lil' Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 98792
yeah I know it has the potential to be a good setup but its killing me, I have only been able to drive it around my yard and it still has the blowing seal problem just cant narrow down the problem but Kelvin is doing his best to help me out I guess we will see. Thanks Tim
Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 136215
I agree that the fluid choice could be an issue. We've run so many big tire trucks we psc steer systems on basic regular power steering fluid and never had any temp issues! Yes it needs a good cooler ect. But mix matching parts can sometimes bite ur azz. Also, I'm told that power steering fluid has additional friction inhibitors to absorb abundant heat produced in steer pumps n valves. I've delt with some serious issues trying to bleed all the air out. Not having it completly air free can damage ur pump to start whinning. If it's foamy any time, you've got air issues, if the fluid level changes when u start and kill the engine by more than an inch or so, you've got air issues. Kelvin and their techs should be able to solve it. And you'll know where all that money and time whent when it's done right.

My Tribute Chassis

dynamixjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 98792
I made the switch to the amsoil stuff because I was having problems with the system getting to hot, then I switched and it seemed to run cooler but still hot. I replied to Kelvin at PSC so maybe he'll have some more info for me. I also have another orbital on its way char-lynn #241 5027 002 so that should tell me more when that gets here. Fingers are crossed and hopefully we find a solution. I have also heard that a guy on here had the same problem and Lance said he had the wrong studs to mount the can but I don't think that would fix my problem because it whines a bit then blows out like it is getting to hot or starving for fluid, i'm really not to sure though. Thanks for the replies Tim
Old 02-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 14712
I don't really buy that the pump is able to such the feed line shut. Things may be able to flex and move to collapse the line, but there isn't enough suction to suck that line flat.
Even if it did...how would that blow out a seal??
It sounds like a restriction to me...a big one. I would look for a pressure line getting pinched or take a second look at your valve.
Killerpee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 98792
I agree with ya on the hose not being able to get sucked shut, maybe pinched or something but thats not the case on mine I know for a fact. The pump is somehow building enough press. to blow out the o-ring right at the top of the housing ( same place every time and on both pumps) also using reg ps fluid and the amsoil stuff, I am thinking I might put a tranny style cooler in line also just to keep it that much cooler but I think that would just be a band aid. Like I said I do have another orbital on its way this week that is known to be good so I will swap it out and see if that makes a difference or not. Tim
Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 98792
Wow Psc is the shit they are giving me a few things to try to the pump and see if that fixes it and going above and beyond to make things right with the system. I will let you guys know if this fixes the problem or not. Thanks Tim
and Thanks PSC
Old 02-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 98792
Well I'm pretty sure the guys at PSC figured it out, maybe! There is a valve in the back of the pump where the high pressuer comes out, if you pull that out there is a hole drilled cross ways in the inside end of that valve, they had me drill through the valve to make two holes instead of one. That seems to have done the trick I hope. But the steering valve is wondering now when I drive the jeep down the street, so I'm going to get a new valve from them and see if that fixes all the issues. Fingers are crossed and I am very happy with the customer service thus far. Heres a pic of the valve they had me drill out can anyone tell me what it did when I drilled another hole in it I'm not to sure what this thing does. Thanks Tim and again Thanks PSC
Old 02-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 98792
nevermind I have to renew my sub. to post pics I will try and post a pic of it after I renew to see what the hell this thing does.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 147864
Just seeing if its all better now, had mine blow on me sat
nocal40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11448
Send a message via Yahoo to MNorby
What does the vent on the bottom of you reservoir kid look like? Mine had two tiny hikes and they ended up selling almost shut over time then blew the o ring out if the pump/can. Cut a bigger vent hole in the rubber and all good. Maybe something to check.

MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock Stacker

Member # 65066
Hopefully no news is good news.

Last edited by HydroDynamic; 08-15-2011 at 07:15 PM.
HydroDynamic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in