Mad Mac Centers - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21274
Send a message via Yahoo to AJ Johnson
Mad Mac Centers

Re-centering Hummer H1ís

Thanks to Mad Mac of C&M Performance Machine for a great product!

Why buy new centers?
A couple of BIG reasons.
1.) The stock H1 wheel lug pattern is 8X6.5.
2.) The backspacing on stock rims is insane! Recentering makes it a much more manageable 3 ĹĒ or so.
I wanted to run these beadlocks for a long time, and when I got an opportunity to score a whole set of 4 for really cheap from a friend, I had to jump all over it.
I have a 94 Toyota Pickup bone stock, but Iím in the process of doing a SAS on it with a bit of a lift, and I really like the look and price of the used military tires that are available. For me, it beats the super spendy price of a new set of 37-38Ē Swampers or Pit Bulls any day.
Soo.. On to the rest of my mess making!

Hereís what I got home to waiting in my door.

Package of 4 inserts in the common Toyota and Chevy 6 lug pattern. These things had more saran wrap on them than that chick in Chinatown I saw once!
I could tell that the shipping company hadnít treated these nicely at all, but the multiple layers of wrapping protected them VERY well from any damage!

Once I got them unwrapped, this is what I had to work with.

The only thing I didn't like was the mess of sticky machining oil left on them. Nothing a can of carb cleaner can't cure though.
Steekers too! I love me some steekers.
These things are VERY nicely made, VERY thick steel, and perfectly stamped.
I want to see what this stamping machine looks like! I bet the mold is cool too.

I really like how the outer edge is rolled like that. It makes seating and welding them a breeze.

OK, now I need to get the rims ready for them.
Hereís what Iím starting with.

As you can see from the second picture, I placed washers on some of the studs. You will soon see why.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 21274
Notice how I put the top ring back on as a guide? The washers hold it up a bit, and that makes guiding the plasma torch SO much easier, with no danger of cutting or getting slag on the top ring. If you don’t have a plasma, it will work just as well with an oxy-acetylene torch.
Here’s what it looks like all cut out.

As you can see, my hand wasn’t perfect, but honestly, a bit of a touchup with a grinder fixed that nicely, and I doubt it makes a difference anyway.

Now I flip the rim over and drop the ring in for a test fit.

Now, I took my grinder with a flapper disk on it to clean the paint away from the area where I’m going to weld. Very Important for a good weld.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21274
Once that was done to all 4 Rims, I checked the fit of the rings again. They still all dropped perfectly inside the rim for a snug fit.
At first, I tried to bolt up the new center and place the rim over it on the rig to check for runout, but that didn’t work so well.

There was just enough wiggle that the rim wouldn’t stay tight on the center. So I pulled them off again, and tack welded 2 spots on each wheel to hold it together while I checked the runout. That worked perfectly.

I had between 10 and 20 thousands of runout on each rim. More than OK I think. I’ve had stock steel wheels with as much as 60 thousands of runout that I could barely feel. So, I’m happy with the numbers I got.
I got impatient, and threw a tire up to see how it looked against my truck. Looks Good! The pics don’t show how huge it is compared to the stockers on there.

Once I had checked them all for runout, it was time to weld them up. I feel its very important to take your time welding, and weld small spaces at a time to avoid warping your new center or the wheel. I went about 2 inches at a time, in 5 places around the wheel. You can weld all the way around if you choose, but I feel that my 5 welds around the edge is more than sufficient for my lightweight rig.

And that’s how you recenter a Hummer H1 Wheel Using Mad Mac’s new Centers!!

Last edited by AJ Johnson; 02-13-2010 at 10:34 AM.
AJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 21274
Here's a link to his sale thread.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...226&highlight=
*I'm not affiliated with him in any way, I paid full retail price for these, just like you guys. I posted this up cause I like his shit, and I thought it needed a nice pic writeup*
Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Johnson View Post
I really like the look and price of the used military tires that are available. For me, it beats the super spendy price of a new set of 37-38Ē Swampers or Pit Bulls any day.
this is the kind of 'poboy writeup i live to see. nice job. hummer wheels are a cakewalk to DIY but alot of people are scared of it.

but do NOT waste your $$$ on any of the .gov hummer tires (ok maybee for a pavement pounder).

think of them as polishing a d30. yeah, they MIGHT get you down the trail a little bit. but not for long. thinnest sidwalls, hardest compound, EVER.

spend the $ and buy tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 21274
my rig is my DD with 1 maybe 2 weekends a month wheelin, so thats why I love em.
If I was a trailer queen or hardcore crawler, yeah I'd prolly want something different, but for as many asphalt miles as I do, they fit the bill.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 136617
Quote:
my rig is my DD with 1 maybe 2 weekends a month wheelin, so thats why I love em.
If I was a trailer queen or hardcore crawler, yeah I'd prolly want something different, but for as many asphalt miles as I do, they fit the bill.
I feel your pain.
runnerboyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 21274
this setup isn't for the high dollar guys. There are better solutions out there. This setup isn't for the guy that can drop 3k on tires and not think about it. This setup isn't for the guy who has 2 or 4 rigs to play with. There is better stuff out there for that.
This setup is for the guy like me who wheels his DD or who has a dedicated wheeler and you have to save a bit out of every paycheck to get parts. This setup is for the guys who made Pirate famous. the garage fabber guy who builds his shit withwhat he has to work with. These centers and H1 rims are the IDEAL solution for guys in our same shoes. Thats why I posted this. don't be scared of running these centers and wheels. They flat out work, and the centers are serious BEEF! you won't have to worry about bending these centers or warping them or tearing them off.
This is some good stuff at a great price and easy do-ability.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21274
edited a bit for clarity.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
that guy

Member # 10887
Send a message via AIM to MAD MAC Send a message via Yahoo to MAD MAC
Thanks for the Writeup Man that's awesome, shows everyone how ridiculously easy these are to install.

Mac
MAD MAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13110
I used Mad Mac centers too!

Turned out GREAT w/ about 3 1/8" backspacing...

Then a little later I added some Rock Rings and repainted them....

Old 02-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 51446
Send a message via AIM to KrazYJ
Nice, I did the same but with his flat centers

just a little note, might want to make it a point to wear a good respirator when grinding/cutting these wheels, the paint on them is nowhere near healthy
KrazYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 13110
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazYJ View Post
just a little note, might want to make it a point to wear a good respirator when grinding/cutting these wheels, the paint on them is nowhere near healthy

Yeah, I coughed up black shit for 2 days after grinding the factory "paint" off of these.

I don't know what it is, but its not normal "paint"...
Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbair View Post
Yeah, I coughed up black shit for 2 days after grinding the factory "paint" off of these.

I don't know what it is, but its not normal "paint"...
It's CARC and if all you are coughing up is black shit, then count yourself lucky.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 21274
I didn't wear a dust mask, tho in hindsight I should have. Instead I wore one of the Uvex Bionic masks.. maybe it redirected enough airflow to keep me ok?
I dunno, I was fine, didn't have black snot or cough up any more shit than usual. Maybe being a smoker has my lungs coated in a protective layer of mucus?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 26939
Send a message via AIM to Devil's Ride
Sweet write up, I just scored a set of 4 H1 wheels myself and had been contemplating doing the re-center job my self or not. After reading this, it seems like it is not such a difficult task! Can't wait to get everything all done!

What did you use for the piece that clamps the inside of the bead? Did you get your wheels with the magnesium seal? Or did you go to PVC?

Tow Pigs: 00 and 02 CTD.

Yes I have an addiction.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Devil's Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 21274
I got the mag runflats, just haven't gotten around to cutting them yet. When I do, I'll post up pix, and mebbe try and light off the pile of magnesium for shits n gigglz.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 145421
Quote:
I got the mag runflats, just haven't gotten around to cutting them yet. When I do, I'll post up pix, and mebbe try and light off the pile of magnesium for shits n gigglz.
Make sure its in chip form. Makes it way more fun to burn!
Roon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 14059
Quote:
Couldn't get the chunks to touch off even with a torch, however cut them up outside, the dust touches off REAL GOOD
Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myanarchy View Post
Couldn't get the chunks to touch off even with a torch, however cut them up outside, the dust touches off REAL GOOD
That's been my experience.
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 21274
im gonna put a few pieces of plate under em when i do just to see how far it burns through, if it does at all.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 51446
From the other night No Flash this was from 1/4 of a wheel center and for some reason my droid x made them kinda purplish

Do yourself a favor and be upwind and don't look directly at it

Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 40301
I was gonna say the run flats are some kind of alloy and mine didn't burn too well and when they did burn it was smoke city. Although the powder I collected from the bandsaw after I cut them burns really really well. I still want to try my bosses idea of getting a large piece of mag burning and then throw it in a river. He said it should put on quite a light show.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 51446
you also really need a ton of heat to get it going, also it only burns once it melts.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 129493
When re-centering an H1 wheel do the new centers always get installed, bottomed out, against the lip from the old center? Are new centers made for different amounts of back spacing?
LowDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in