KOH and unit bearing hubs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25857
KOH and unit bearing hubs

Who ran unit bearing hubs that were still tight at the end of the race?

I'm thinking the top drivers dished out enough abuse to their trucks that if they were running unit bearing hubs they were probably pretty worn by the end of the week. Am I correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DRIVER: Matt Happick
Thanks to: Appalachian Offroad Inc 410-848-2942

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92redyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
as much as I wanted to start this thread I figure I have hated on unit bearings enuff

the only failure I heard of this year was cottins, so that is an improvement over the 3 from last year.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 25857
I just watched a video of Adam Carter changing one on his brand new car, I'm not sure if the hub was a used part but I doubt it.

I turned down a good deal on a rear axle recently, telling myself I want to stick with the reliability and serviceability of good old full float hubs instead of the light weight non-serviceable bling stuff even though the bling is tempting.

Although, I did see that a racer(Derek West?) was running pro-version serviceable unit bearings(Spidertrax?) which sounded interesting but I'm sure the price is up there and the service parts aren't readily available.

Just wanted to check if I'm on the right track.....

DRIVER: Matt Happick
Thanks to: Appalachian Offroad Inc 410-848-2942

92redyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 36746
Yeah AC lost one also, mostly due to having to limp a long ways on a flat KRT. They couldn't change the tire because they lost the tool bag.
BamaSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 26468
Send a message via AIM to BigWoodyWag
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaSahara View Post
They couldn't change the tire because they lost the tool bag.
Really? I thought Daniel rode in the right seat the whole time.

budumpbump ching

The premier podcast for those that make Off-Road & ULTRA4 Racing the toughest, most diverse motorsport in the world.

On--->>>

#555 Triple Nickel Racing,
BigWoodyWag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 24793
We are still running the same hubs that we ran in v2r. Still nice and tight.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 11801
DSI is still running the same hub's he raced the silver state 300 with, the race the car did a tripple barrel roll in, landing on it's wheels, part of the henderson race, pre ran the parker 425, and then raced the parker 425 with, and finished KOH on. They are the Trail Gear ones. Still tight, and appeared to be in good shape.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 54293
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWoodyWag View Post
Really? I thought Daniel rode in the right seat the whole time.

budumpbump ching
He couldn't figure out how to tape a few rocks together to make a socket.

This is the first he has had brake.He ran them on last years car with no problems.

Last edited by POPS58; 02-17-2010 at 06:04 PM.
POPS58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
Yeah I sent my 2 spare 6 lug Spidertrax unit bearings to DSI for V2R and they were on the lakebed all week for Jeff to loan out if anyone called for unit bearings.

Bigsilly brought them home to me in the same box I shipped to Dad's before V2R.

Anyone want to buy them?
1984 FJ-60
2013 RZR-XP4

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 27201

Last edited by Dparker11818; 08-17-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Dparker11818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 99196
I am running the same unit Bearings for 2 years now including two KoH races a shit load of trail riding and many trips to Glamis and Barstow when it came time to add By Pass shock's we tore everything down expecting to find a bad unit bearing and to our suprise all where perfecet I also run rear steer and decided to keep it after further inspection of the unit bearings, I know Dave has well over 1,000 miles on the Unit Bearings that Kirby designed and those are hard desert miles...
Team Kirby offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
I bought a spare because I thought it was making a bunch of noise. It probably was with 225lbs of water in each front tire and 2 years of non-stop abuse. My real question is when do you know that it needs to be replaced? Slop? Noise? I tightened the used one with an air gun a tiny bit and it's good to go

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

Check us out on Facebook
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92redyj View Post
I just watched a video of Adam Carter changing one on his brand new car, I'm not sure if the hub was a used part but I doubt it.

I turned down a good deal on a rear axle recently, telling myself I want to stick with the reliability and serviceability of good old full float hubs instead of the light weight non-serviceable bling stuff even though the bling is tempting.

Although, I did see that a racer(Derek West?) was running pro-version serviceable unit bearings(Spidertrax?) which sounded interesting but I'm sure the price is up there and the service parts aren't readily available.

Just wanted to check if I'm on the right track.....
I havent checked mine yet, but nothing is bad loose. The bearings are servicable, I am assuming it is a Timken bearing that I can get from Spidertrax or somewhere local. They are a little more money, but the first time that I rebuild them I will have saved. Not to mention they have the tightest scrub radius of anything unit bearing style and are around 8 lbs lighter per corner. There are pics in my build thread.

Derek
Jimmy's 4x4, Nitto Tire, NorthStar, Radflo, Slime, Spidertrax, KMC Wheels, Yukon Gear and Axle, Alltech Motorsports, Rugged Radios, Sho-Me Speed, John's 4x4, Advanced Metal Fab, PSC, FK, Branik, Ouverson, Valvoline, Griffin, AEM, Off-Road Solutions, Eibach Springs.
Dwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
I bought a spare because I thought it was making a bunch of noise. It probably was with 225lbs of water in each front tire and 2 years of non-stop abuse. My real question is when do you know that it needs to be replaced? Slop? Noise? I tightened the used one with an air gun a tiny bit and it's good to go
noise is an indicator, but there's usually slop before it gets to that point.

slop = bad

You can snug it up again, but it's wearing out and should probably be replaced.

I'll never forget the time I was driving my rig down the road, kept hearing a ticktickticktick. Jacked up the front end to check the bearings and my tire tilted over an inch.

Last edited by Travis Waldher; 02-17-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Matt Messer

Member # 39978
Mine are all good...they have several hundred miles of pre-running and the 2010 KOH race. Oh yeah...we have plenty in stock ready to ship!

ACE-CAGE-#29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in