Virginia 4x4 Weld Test - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 148051
Virginia 4x4 Weld Test

I thought you guys would like to see us destroy one of our products to see how the welds hold up. We do similar tests with all new products before release. I just thought we'd film this one... enjoy.

YouTube - 52in weld test.avi

FWIW we have a CWI or certified welding inspector in-house. This is by NO MEANS the proper way to test a weld. Not even close, we're just having a little fun.

The proper method of testing in this case would be to butt 2 pieces of the same material (steel, A36) together, weld full penetration, mill the weld back down flush with the material then send it off to a lab where they check for porosity and bend or pull the 2 pieces apart to see if the weld fails.

The reason for a CWI is to certify a welder, material and a machine. For example we have welders that are certified to weld human occupancy pressure vessels, not an easy cert to achieve. If they ever left our company their cert would mean nothing unless they take our machine and use the exact filler rod and base material corresponding to that particular certification.
Virginia 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 124241
Nice bending machine!!

Can you post it to Belgium, I think UPS express would be ok

Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Cool toys. But can you test the bracket the way that it would break?
Clamp the bracket vertical in the press, and press the bolt. That would similate being bolted to the frame and an impact while driving. Testing a bolt sleeve compression(the side press) and the shear strength of the bolt, don't show how strong the brackets are.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 148051
no problem, we could use a newer CNC version of this machine anyway. UPS quoted me $500,000 euros and you have to ride with it in the boat.

as for the brake itself you can pay me with 50 kegs of Westvleteren 12 and 2000 waffles. oh... and a bigger refrigerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Nice bending machine!!

Can you post it to Belgium, I think UPS express would be ok

Lara
Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 148051
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
Cool toys. But can you test the bracket the way that it would break?
Clamp the bracket vertical in the press, and press the bolt. That would similate being bolted to the frame and an impact while driving. Testing a bolt sleeve compression(the side press) and the shear strength of the bolt, don't show how strong the brackets are.
i gave that serious thought but the setup required would be time consuming and our goal here was simply to test the welds.

the only real test is hard wheeling with them and we do as much of that as we possibly can given our time constraints.

what i really want to do is bolt one to a chevy truck, lift the truck off the ground using only one our brackets and then start shooting the bracket with a high-powered rifle until the truck falls. obviously this won't prove anything either i just want to do it. if anyone is near winchester VA and wants to donate a fullsize chevy for a cool video let me know. i'll give you beer.

i have everything but an old chevy truck to conduct the experiment...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 158354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia 4x4 View Post
no problem, we could use a newer CNC version of this machine anyway. UPS quoted me $500,000 euros and you have to ride with it in the boat.

as for the brake itself you can pay me with 50 kegs of Westvleteren 12 and 2000 waffles. oh... and a bigger refrigerator.
Hey Matt, if you like waffles, I have a recipe for some made-from-scratch whole-wheat waffles I will send you that everyone who has had them gets addicted to... I'll send it to your email and you can tell me if the aren't the best motherf**kers you ever ate. they be good fer u 2...
akonitony1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9275
Send a message via Yahoo to purevil71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia 4x4 View Post
i gave that serious thought but the setup required would be time consuming and our goal here was simply to test the welds.

the only real test is hard wheeling with them and we do as much of that as we possibly can given our time constraints.

what i really want to do is bolt one to a chevy truck, lift the truck off the ground using only one our brackets and then start shooting the bracket with a high-powered rifle until the truck falls. obviously this won't prove anything either i just want to do it. if anyone is near winchester VA and wants to donate a fullsize chevy for a cool video let me know. i'll give you beer.

i have everything but an old chevy truck to conduct the experiment...

I have a neighbor no one around here really likes with a 80's Chevy truck, that work for ya....lol

ZookiMelt FB Page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
purevil71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 10736
I love watching HD videos, and the huge press is very cool. 300 Tons is a measure of force not pressure though.
masonmachines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 34601
thats awesome....! i wish more vendors would test there stuff and video it for us.

95zj: 4.0,42re,231,d44/9,4.56,35's long arms. blah blah blah ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ohiozj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in