PSC Branded orbital issue - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13012
PSC Branded orbital issue

a while back I replaced/swapped an orbital valve on a buddies truck with a PSC branded orbital. We only swapped them around to diagnose a problem on his fathers rig and never swapped back. The original was good and turned with ease no matter what position the tires were in and drove down the road pretty good. Once we installed the PSC his steering when to shit. While driving down the road to get to the trails you are constantly turning right to keep the rig straight and when you need to turn left it darts. When you are bound up on the trails, say going down hill in a rut the wheels will not turn at all, but the steering wheel will turn but is very hard. All in all it a pain in the ass to drive, unless you are driving around a flat yard. Im not sure what model the orbital is is but can find out if needed. This is on an old toyota truggy with an LT1, D60's, 4linked w/coilovers all the way around. He has a HUGE resi (like 1.5Gallon) with a very short suction rated line going to the pump which worked fine with the other orbital (again I dont know the model number). he uses a chief 2x8 single ended ram. Did he just get a bad orbital or is it mismatched to his system? any Idea's?
lincontaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 91363
I am interested to hear the answers people come up with since i am running a similar setup (not a PSC orbital) with similar issues. I am looking to buy a new orbital but not sure what would be the best choice for a single ended ram.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 36746
How long ago? I know they started using Eaton Valves and the first order they received had a bunch of defective units. If I turn hard right with mine, when I go to straighten it up I have no steering input. I called unaware of the issues and was told those orbitals were defective and they would send me a new unit.
BamaSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 97798
I think my PSC orbital is an Eaton unit. No problems so far (bought Summer 2009).
Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 87698
your first call should be to PSC. I'm just a customer like you, and they've always treated me right.

fasten your seat belt, it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your rig
----

NRA LIFE MEMBER

----
beefdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 83837
Call PSC - they have some of the best support out of any vendor on this board...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KyleQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Not all orbitals are the same, could be a load reactive orbital and the original is not. The load reactive unit will respond to geometry and scrub radius problems, making it pull one way or the other or become very difficult to turn, if bound up. Alignment, wheel offset, spacers all have big affects on a load reactive valves.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaSahara View Post
How long ago? I know they started using Eaton Valves and the first order they received had a bunch of defective units. If I turn hard right with mine, when I go to straighten it up I have no steering input. I called unaware of the issues and was told those orbitals were defective and they would send me a new unit.
Honestly I dont remember, I picked it up from Keith up at ORC when I was building his fathers jeep about a year and half ago. I will look into the model number and give PSC a call.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Not all orbitals are the same, could be a load reactive orbital and the original is not. The load reactive unit will respond to geometry and scrub radius problems, making it pull one way or the other or become very difficult to turn, if bound up. Alignment, wheel offset, spacers all have big affects on a load reactive valves.
This is what I was thinking, Im not sure if the valve he had was load reactive or not and not sure about the new one. The steering geometry is correct as far as the knuckles are concerned. He is running a 2"bs wheel though which puts the scrub radius out there a good bit. With his other orbital he could turn the wheels if bound up and it would either push the dirt/rock out of the way or fold the tire over, steering with one finger. I will give PSC a call and im sure they will figure out the issue.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 115795
I have had the same issue. Psc sent me several orbitals thinking that was the problem but in fact the steering universal joint was getting in a small bind and was causing the problem.we added another joint and its been great ever since. This would be my starting point.
Team Tyson #115
Unlimited East Coast
tnyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13012
steering worked great before I changed the orbital, the steering linkage has a straight shot to the orbital. Im thinking its going to be either an issue with it being load reactive or a bad orbital. Im about an hour away from the rig and probably wont see it for a week. Just something I was thinking about today while on break and thought I would waste the good ol' PBB's time
Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
---------------

Member # 111643
I have the same problem here with a single ended ram as well. I am constantly pulling the wheel right down the highway and if I ease up on the pressure the rig darts left... The higher the speed the more noticeable it is. I talked to Kelvin over at PSC and they are going to fix mine as soon as I get the time to take it off and send it over there. Hit him up.
Freakin A Scrib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakin A Scrib View Post
I have the same problem here with a single ended ram as well. I am constantly pulling the wheel right down the highway and if I ease up on the pressure the rig darts left... The higher the speed the more noticeable it is. I talked to Kelvin over at PSC and they are going to fix mine as soon as I get the time to take it off and send it over there. Hit him up.
will do, Im glad there are vendors out there actually care about their customers. I have done business with PSC in the past and had a great experience. I will get the orbital in front of me to make sure I have all the numbers etc.. before i call.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in