TSL SX tires on the street?? anybody? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 46467
TSL SX tires on the street?? anybody?

I'm thinking of running some 38" TSL SX bias ply tires on my rig. It's a drive to trail rig. So I see about 70-120 miles one way on the highway to get there.

Looking for anybody that has driving these on pavement and how do they track? I can run BB's to balance them, but how drivable are they at freeway speeds. Or are they going to be to squirrelly.

Running TSL Radials, but need a tougher side wall.

Or even Pit Bull rockers on the street.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
they track fine and will handle to the trail road usage just fine.

I ran the 38sx on my Toyota and drove it to 100's of miles to many trail runs. used to drive it around town just for fun as well.

I ran my at around 15 to 18 psi on the street. just find the pressure that is correct for your setup. and mine wore great. obviously not designed as a street tire but they were remarkably quite

Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post

I ran the 38sx on my Toyota and drove it to 100's of miles to many trail runs. used to drive it around town just for fun as well.

I ran my at around 15 to 18 psi on the street. just find the pressure that is correct for your setup. and mine wore great. obviously not designed as a street tire but they were remarkably quite

Yup, I drove mine all over the place and at the time didn't have a tow rig/trailer so they saw lots of miles. Once I cut the center lugs in half the dull roar turned into more of a whine.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Send a message via AIM to inphobic
I had a set that ran great down the street and the following set would literally try to tear apart my rig at 55 mph. Hope QC has improved some since then. They are an awesome tire off road. If it wasn't for that last set I would have never switched to Krawlers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inphobic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 80235
Being bias tires, my 36s always seemed to flat spot when it sat. It would take a few miles of driving to get them rolling smoother. Up to that point you needed a kidney belt and a mouth piece. Mine were usually about 15psi and balanced with airsoft BBs.
I guess you guys are tougher than me, dont think I could have done 100 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OregonYO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 142369
The regular tsl biases I ran on my jeep would get pretty good then I would hit the trail and tear up the lugs a bit then it would take awhile for them to quiet back down and smooth out.
Dirtyjane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 99437
Send a message via Yahoo to CTD NUT
I owned a few sets of 35 SX's years ago. Never had a tow rig back in those days and drove hundreds of miles to the trails. The tread wear was fine and they sounded like any other TSL railing down the highway. Most certainly a far from ideal highway tire but perform as expected offroad and are certainly tolerable for driving to a trail....the payoff is when you are on the trail.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17969
Send a message via AIM to OkLaHoMaYJ
I ran 38x12.50/15 SX's on some 589's and they tracked great. No problems around town and on the interstate. Anything over 70 got a little hairy though. It would shake the Jeep pretty good.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post

I agree, worked fine for me too.

When I ran my rig on the street I ran 38sx until they were bald. I liked them better on the street and trail than the radial TSL too. Mine were on hummer beadlocks w/golf balls, and I could go up to 70 fine w/no vibes.
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 52
I also ran some 38's. They did great up to about 70mph.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 72973
have a 78 fj40 with 36 sx's on it. I was my daily driver for 5 years. First year in collage I drove 180 miles one way back home everyweekend. I only drove it like 55-60 mph but I didnt mind it one bit.

Carl
Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 67238
I have run 36 SX's for the better part of 10 years now. It's one tuff tire! The flat spotting is teeth rattling and friends of mine have had terrible death wobble issues. Mine seemed to balance "ok", would not recomend them as a daily driver or for more than a 75 mile run on the street. I'm trying to buy a new set of 37 Blue label Krawlers for this year but BFG has no stock or production date set so I'm left waiting with new empty beadlock rims and old SX's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
77 CJ7, 98' Vortec 5.7L, NV4500, D300 32splined, 4.56 ARB 35 SPL D60's
ED6060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 46467
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to given a shot. The thing I left out is there going on a Scout II which mean heavy pig i.e. The whole reason for tough side walls. I can store it on jack stands if the flats spots are more than I like. Noise is not an issue, as I have to yell on the freeway as it is now.

Golf balls, read about them. But have been using a large cup of the heavy weight air soft BB's with good luck. These are on H1 rims with rubber run flats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in