Spicer Dana 44 ball joints - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 208630
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinker88 View Post
It pisses me off you can't find a good balljoint these days.
I have no affiliation with this company other than they gave excellent customer service and I want them to do well so I can stii use them in the future. They were the cheapest AND had REAL Spicer ball joints without splines. Take their relabeled crap back for a refund and order these if you want the real McCoy. They are not greasable though. I filled mine with red-n-sticky grease before installing and just wiped the excess off when they seated, probably not necessary but I love that stuff.

706116X Dana 44 Ball Joint Kit
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 197879
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
I have no affiliation with this company other than they gave excellent customer service and I want them to do well so I can stii use them in the future. They were the cheapest AND had REAL Spicer ball joints without splines. Take their relabeled crap back for a refund and order these if you want the real McCoy. They are not greasable though. I filled mine with red-n-sticky grease before installing and just wiped the excess off when they seated, probably not necessary but I love that stuff.

706116X Dana 44 Ball Joint Kit
^ That's the exact same part # and components as the PartsMike kit. And they're not "re-labeled" Spicer is just using TRW for their housings.

Last edited by brinker88; 01-04-2013 at 07:23 PM.
brinker88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #53 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I'm running the "blue boot" napa ball joints as stated earlier in this thread 8 years 37s 30k 2" back spaced wheels still in good shape. I don't know if they're spicers but I'm buying them again when the time comes.

Last edited by RANGERROD; 01-04-2013 at 07:27 PM.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
I'm running the "blue boot" napa ball joints as stated earlier in this thread 8 years 37s 30k 2" back spaced wheels still in good shape. I don't know if they're spicers but I'm buying them again when the time comes.
x2 the "gold and blue" ball joints (Napa Chassis or Raybestos according to where you buy them from) are the best.

There is a cheap junk ball joint using "blue boots" now, MEVOTECH. Junk.

Rockauto usually has good prices on the good Raybestos balljoints.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 191009
Harsh Terrain ball joints?

Hi guys, has anybody got any experience using Harsh terrain ball joints?
silk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #56 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 195381
I've got all the parts for the HP44 I'm building except for ball joints.

I've physically looked at both MOOGs and the blue boot Napa joints and frankly the MOOGs look like shit compared to the Napa units. My only concern about the Napa joints is they're a different part number than is referenced in this thread (probably because I'm in Canada) and they have splined bodies whereas the pic on page 1 shows smooth bodies.

Here's the MOOGs for reference. Grease fitting is on the side of the body rather than the top.

Both options are about about the same price ($90 per pair using the woman's City discount). Any reason I shouldn't go with my gut (and my eyes) and get the Napa joints?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M3C.CA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 131686
Rockauto has the smooth un painted/coated bodied spicers if anyone is looking for them... no grease zerk.

sent from my commando
OLANDER400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #58 (permalink)
PIG
2indapink&1indastink

Member # 4502
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruckzach View Post
what about these:
Synergy Suspension*::*Jeep JK*::*Synergy Suspension D30/D44/D50/D60 Heavy Duty Front Ball Joint Sets

It looks like someone finally stepped up and made some decent balljoints! Anybody try some yet? Looks promising with a metal on metal design.
We have been having good feedback on them. A little more than the stuff mentioned above but a TRUE metal on metal design with zerks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: PIRATE10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

COOL STUFF FOR YOUR BUGGY, JEEP, DODOGE 2500/3500

//
//

PIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 208630
Here's where I got my SPICER smooth body joints from.

706116X Spicer Dana 30 44 Ball Joint Kit GM Jeep

They don't have zerks so I made sure they were full of red and sticky grease before installing.

Last edited by twiisted71; 04-15-2013 at 09:03 PM.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 36943
Send a message via AIM to Skerb
can anyone confirm that these are as the picture describes and are not knurled?

More Information for RAYBESTOS 5051156

More Information for RAYBESTOS 5001070

Right now its down to those from Rock Auto, or the spicers from Drivetrain america, I like that the blue boots are greasable.

http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-6...t-gm-jeep.aspx

Last edited by Skerb; 05-08-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Skerb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 231011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Fab View Post
The Synergy balljoints are better by design, but are more expensive and out of your planned expendature. I plan to beat a set up at the Baja 1000 this year.

How did they synergy balljoints hold up?
h8sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 79690
I know this Thread is Ancient but i wanted to add that I have found AC-Delco is making the exact same Ball Joints as the Raybestos Blue Boot BJs
ACDelco 45D0070 Professional Front Upper - 30.78 (On Amazon Today - 11/9/2018
ACDelco 45D2156 Professional Front Lower - $20.54 (On Amazon Today - 11/9/2018
They Carry the same Numbers on the bottoms as both the Raybestos and Napa BJs but are sold at significantly lower prices
Hope this helps people as much as it helped me when searching today!!

Also anyone have an update on how the Blue Boot BJs are holding up 5 years later? lol
Old 11-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #63 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailMan View Post
I know this Thread is Ancient but i wanted to add that I have found AC-Delco is making the exact same Ball Joints as the Raybestos Blue Boot BJs
ACDelco 45D0070 Professional Front Upper - 30.78 (On Amazon Today - 11/9/2018
ACDelco 45D2156 Professional Front Lower - $20.54 (On Amazon Today - 11/9/2018
They Carry the same Numbers on the bottoms as both the Raybestos and Napa BJs but are sold at significantly lower prices
Hope this helps people as much as it helped me when searching today!!

Also anyone have an update on how the Blue Boot BJs are holding up 5 years later? lol
Awesome info! I just bought some spicers and they are shit. I havenít ran the rig yet but Iím planning on swapping them pretty quick.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Quote:
Awesome info! I just bought some spicers and they are shit. I havenít ran the rig yet but Iím planning on swapping them pretty quick.
Fawk me. I literally just ordered Spicers yesterday and hoped to install them this coming week. They're replacing Moogs that I installed in '13 or '14. My lowers are super sloppy right now. Figured Spicer would be mo' betta so that's what I went with this go around.

You could tell they were shit before even running them? That's not encouraging.

Here's an updated link to the Synergy joints: https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-d...tegory_id=4914

So what's the general consensus these days? Are the Synergy joints the real deal or are the blue boot AC Delcos the way to go?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:25 AM   #65 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
Fawk me. I literally just ordered Spicers yesterday and hoped to install them this coming week. They're replacing Moogs that I installed in '13 or '14. My lowers are super sloppy right now. Figured Spicer would be mo' betta so that's what I went with this go around.

Here's an updated link to the Synergy joints: https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-d...tegory_id=4914

So what's the general consensus these days? Are the Synergy joints the real deal or are the blue boot AC Delcos the way to go?
They felt loser than I remember my blue boots. I was really happy with the blue boots 37ís 2Ē back spaced wheels 15k miles. Still tight when I took them out.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 79690
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome info! I just bought some spicers and they are shit. I haven’t ran the rig yet but I’m planning on swapping them pretty quick.

I've seen mixed reviews on the Synergy BJ's but I have no personal experience to offer as they don't make them for the older Dana 44s from what I've found in their website only for newer TJ/XJ/MJ and WJ/JK Dana 30s and Dana 44s
Old 11-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 665562
Quote:
I've seen mixed reviews on the Synergy BJ's but I have no personal experience to offer as they don't make them for the older Dana 44s from what I've found in their website only for newer TJ/XJ/MJ and WJ/JK Dana 30s and Dana 44s

Ah, that may remove the Synergy joints from my lineup. I have a 79 Ford housing with Chevy knuckles.

The Spicers showed up today. I can move them relatively easily. I canít feel any axial or radial slop though (no real clearance in the joint).

If I hadnít come across this thread I would probably install them without questioning them too much. Iím torn.

Bray_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #68 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray_D View Post
Ah, that may remove the Synergy joints from my lineup. I have a 79 Ford housing with Chevy knuckles.

The Spicers showed up today. I can move them relatively easily. I canít feel any axial or radial slop though (no real clearance in the joint).

If I hadnít come across this thread I would probably install them without questioning them too much. Iím torn.

Go to Napa and compare them to blue boots.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #69 (permalink)
PIG
2indapink&1indastink

Member # 4502
Quote:
We had a issue with a small run of lowers (same joint used in JK/JKU/WJ/TJ/LJ/XJ/MJ/applications) about a year ago so thats prob why some mixed reviews have surfaced. All the issues have been addressed and resolved and anyone with issues has been taken care of.

Quote:

Old D44 applications are not available anymore due to low sales volumes.

Here is a link to the new adjustable ones we are rolling out with.

https://www.synergymfg.com/dodge-ram...joint-kit.html

Plans for some 1st gen Ram and Super Duty applications as well as JL/JLU applications are in the works. Older D44 applications are not currently on the drawing board.

USE CODE: PIRATE10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

COOL STUFF FOR YOUR BUGGY, JEEP, DODOGE 2500/3500

//
//

PIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2018, 12:28 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 79690
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
Quote:
We had a issue with a small run of lowers (same joint used in JK/JKU/WJ/TJ/LJ/XJ/MJ/applications) about a year ago so thats prob why some mixed reviews have surfaced. All the issues have been addressed and resolved and anyone with issues has been taken care of.
That's awesome! One of the reasons I like going with small businesses that support the community. Sucks about the older Dana 44 BJs though cause I woulda bought a set.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:35 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 208352
I’m in the process of developing an upper balljoint delete kit for the D44’s due to requests. I’ve got a 99-04 and 05+ D60 kit for the Sper Duty Fords and this is next on the list.
06silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 100050
I know other joints will be tighter out of the box, but I'm still not convinced that their tightness under no load is a good indication of joint quality. Bushing material is likely the driving variable for joint life, and we'll never know what these manufacturers are doing unless we cut them up.

I've decided to go ahead and install the Spicers to see how they do. They're OEM product, I have them on hand, and I have a wheeling trip scheduled 2 weeks out. If they go to shit in a matter of months, then I'll know they're garbage and I can revisit all of this.

The only data point I have is the state that the truck is currently in. I'm fairly certain I'm running the true Moog Problem Solvers (zerk on the side) and the lowers are so loose after 5 years of intermittent use (street legal, non-DD rig) that I'm concerned for catastrophic failure.

I'll install the Spicers as they arrived straight out of the box and see how well they hold up.

Last edited by Bray D; 11-12-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #73 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
Iím in the process of developing an upper balljoint delete kit for the D44ís due to requests. Iíve got a 99-04 and 05+ D60 kit for the Sper Duty Fords and this is next on the list.
Older 44ís or?

Iím kinda with Bray d. Iíll run mine see what happens. Iím still 10 months out when the truck will be done.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #74 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 140878
Eyeballing on older D44 stuff, it seem like D60 upper ball joint will fit with minor modification? (Cut down the stud & drill new cotton pin hole)
TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 208352
Quote:
Older 44ís or?

Iím kinda with Bray d. Iíll run mine see what happens. Iím still 10 months out when the truck will be done.
I'm going to start with the JK stuff and the Ford HP44 since those are most popular. I know some use the same ballpoint and will fit more than one application, but starting with those.
06silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in