exhaust baffles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
exhaust baffles

I'm having space issues and do not want to run just straight exhaust. Has anyone used these motorcycle exhaust baffles in their exhaust pipes? This one is a "straight thru" design used for drag racing and it fits 3.5 inch exhaust pipe.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 99302
I run these on my panhead with drag pipes and they create a very strange exhaust tone, imo. I would suggest trying the baffles with a the fiberglass packing or the ones with smaller holes. Good idea though, I too have a limited area for exhaust and never thought about running these.....time to order some.

85' Toy based 4 Seat Buggy 22re, W-56, dual cases with 4.7's in rear, 5.29's, Detroit/Welded, poofields, marlin hy-steer, hydro assist, linked with 18" Air Shox, RUF, front range x-member, 38" TSL's, and some tube
travisford83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 59
Anything straight through is going to be very loud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 55444
I've run slip in baffles in all my bikes. They don't quiet much of anything, and are more there to meet muffler requirements.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisford83 View Post
I run these on my panhead with drag pipes and they create a very strange exhaust tone, imo. I would suggest trying the baffles with a the fiberglass packing or the ones with smaller holes. Good idea though, I too have a limited area for exhaust and never thought about running these.....time to order some.
Could you elaborate on how it sounds? Did it change the tone from stock. What do you think they would sound like behind a v-8?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
I've run slip in baffles in all my bikes. They don't quiet much of anything, and are more there to meet muffler requirements.
the do have other styles that aren't "straight through", and are wrapped in fiberglass or have another tube in it. Do you have any experience with these. Do you think they would restrict flow too much?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 99302
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineTx View Post
Could you elaborate on how it sounds? Did it change the tone from stock. What do you think they would sound like behind a v-8?
At idle, they almost sound like sheet metal being tapped by a hammer.....about the only way I can think to describe it. When I open up the throttle it sounds normal but I do plan on trying the fiberglass wrapped ones to keep it from making that weird sound. I have no clue what it would sound like on a V8 but I doubt it will quiet it down to the point that you would be happy. You want to run a number of these baffles in seriers to get some back pressure and reduce some of the exhaust noise.

85' Toy based 4 Seat Buggy 22re, W-56, dual cases with 4.7's in rear, 5.29's, Detroit/Welded, poofields, marlin hy-steer, hydro assist, linked with 18" Air Shox, RUF, front range x-member, 38" TSL's, and some tube
travisford83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Quote:
the do have other styles that aren't "straight through", and are wrapped in fiberglass or have another tube in it. Do you have any experience with these. Do you think they would restrict flow too much?
Never bothered since they where more money and have a tendancy to blow the packing out. Like I said, the only reason to run them is to be legal. They don't make much of any differance in the volume. Cops used to test pipes by shoving a night stick down, and that's why I ran them. Drag cars are the same deal. If your looking for something that will deadon some noise, make room for a real muffler.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 106812
Got a friend telling me in drag racing sometimes they took fender type washers and enlarged the hole and welded them in in each tube for zoomies to get back pressure.
HammerdownJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 100534
muffler

Go to JEGS, look up= Car Chemistry, and Vortex. Both make inserts for pipe to lower db's, and give tone. motorcylces have at best 140hp you will have double that.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 77779
I used these for my car in KOH for tech requirements. They do not sound bad, I do not think they muffled anything though. Anything with straight exhaust is going to be loud.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Muffle...erts,4870.html
Retired Driver #4447
Bench racing with a keyboard
bigsilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1418
what about a suppertrap tip ?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisford83 View Post
At idle, they almost sound like sheet metal being tapped by a hammer.....about the only way I can think to describe it. When I open up the throttle it sounds normal but I do plan on trying the fiberglass wrapped ones to keep it from making that weird sound. I have no clue what it would sound like on a V8 but I doubt it will quiet it down to the point that you would be happy. You want to run a number of these baffles in seriers to get some back pressure and reduce some of the exhaust noise.
Never thought about running a couple in series, thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
Never bothered since they where more money and have a tendancy to blow the packing out. Like I said, the only reason to run them is to be legal. They don't make much of any differance in the volume. Cops used to test pipes by shoving a night stick down, and that's why I ran them. Drag cars are the same deal. If your looking for something that will deadon some noise, make room for a real muffler.
thanks, I didn't realize they have a tendency to blow the packing out. I 'm not looking to reduce the noise alot, just tolerable.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Hale View Post
Go to JEGS, look up= Car Chemistry, and Vortex. Both make inserts for pipe to lower db's, and give tone. motorcylces have at best 140hp you will have double that.

This might be the answer, I used to run something like this in a drag boat with open headers when we were just out on the lake. They would quiet the sound significantly, but they also robbed a little power.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyron View Post
what about a suppertrap tip ?
What do you think that would sound like behind a v-8. I don't want it to sound like a motorcycle. I like the v8 sound.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 15084
Dyna...something makes some bullet mufflers that take off about 4db. Search for them on Summit. They are like 4" diameter x 16" long or something. We run them on #232 and they are awesome.

SuperRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 106812
Also search vw mufflers.They make some small ones like what are on bikes.You buy one and cut them in seperate pieces maybe to do what you need.
HammerdownJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
This might be the answer, I used to run something like this in a drag boat with open headers when we were just out on the lake. They would quiet the sound significantly, but they also robbed a little power.
I bought a Car Chemistry baffle, it look cheesy as crap. Haven't installed it yet but it comes with a couple different end caps to play with.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
I bought a Car Chemistry baffle, it look cheesy as crap. Haven't installed it yet but it comes with a couple different end caps to play with.
would you post how you like/dislike it once you install it?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 91775
you could use one of thise they don't look like much but they will cut down on noise and if you need more flow you can add more discs.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...perTrapp&dds=1
Attached Images

full-throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
build yer own muffler to fit whatever space you may have. hell, build two or three little ones to fill in small holes you have if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 96216
I have the Car Chemistry ones, installed in 3.5'' collectors off 180 degree headers.I think they sound cool.Pretty quet at idle,louder as it builds rpm's.they do make some "ping" sounds when you let off the throttle.
cruiserjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in