Double Lip Seal Informations for SYEs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 80727
Double Lip Seal Informations for SYEs

Alright after beating my head against the wall for 3 days trying to find what I wanted I finally hit pay dirt. I'm posting this up as information for anyone it may be useful to.

I've seen alot of discussion here and there on the internet through the power of google about JBs slip yoke eliminator kits for 241s regarding what the proper rear seal is and also some complaints about it being a single lip seal.

I called JB and was told the proper seal for the standard SYE with their aluminum bearing retainer and a 1-7/8ths yoke was Timken/National part number 472-572. I ordered one and yes it fits both the housing and the 1-7/8s OD yokes (nearly every damn yoke out there).

Theres a few problems with this seal though. The first issue is it being a single lip seal. We all offroad, we all know where mud, dirt, and grime can get into. Naturally a double lip seal with springs on both lips would be a huge improvement. The second issue I encountered was despite what JB said the retainer looks to be cut deeper for a thicker seal.

So I set out to find a double lipped seal that would fit. Soon after I noticed the front output seal of the 241 is a double lip. I popped it out and what do you know that sucker would work perfect in the rear too.

After some cross referencing and spec look ups I came up with a SKF seal part number 18771. This is a double lip seal, 2.75 x .5 OD and a 1-7/8s ID.

Paydirt...

I know that the 241c with an SYE cant be the only place this information is useful so for the sake of people searching in the future (yeah right like anyone does that right ) I'm tieing this thread to some key works to make it easy to find.

double lip
single lip
replacement
substitute
SYE

O and before anyone comments and says "Why didnt you just go to advanced and ask for two front output seals" apparently I couldnt get that number to interchange and I'm not sure if national has an equivalent seal or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in