Brakes, Ford HPD60 front calipers falling off - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 40
Brakes, Ford HPD60 front calipers falling off

can & will post pics later, my calipers are stock 1978-79 ford HPD60, with the funky H bar leaf spring wedge fit type.
no bolts to hold calipers to mounting brackets.
well they are sloppy & must have spread open, they are cast or forged steel or iron.
drove this for a year, street driven never a problem till TTC, pass caliper pops out.
so I see problem & shim the little leaf spring to take out slop, but that means less "grip" area of the h-bar wedge.
just drove to Rubicon, aprox 200 miles, wheeled to spider, beat on it pretty hard for 30 min at soup bowl, camped & headed back out wed, well caliper falls out coming up the slabs, I was able to put it back on, but no way it would be able to make the trip home. so I call a tow. $400 gone, o-well better then a crash.

My only solution
weld the shim thickness in weld bead, & file ,to upper bracket to remove slop
can't do that to lower part or end up with less material to "grip" h-bar wedge in place
buy used brackets that may be just as sloppy, & or could become sloppy like these
or convert to Chevy calipers & brackets that use real mounting bolts not these sissy h-bar wedges.
but to do that, will I need to change to Chevy knuckles?
I have Reid knuckles already, not stock so already have high $$ knuckles, I have to spend more $ on knuckles

I searched goggle for a week on this problem & came up dry.

there has to be more people with this problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[COLOR=Red]--

:evil: # 530.532.4529:evil:[/COLOR]
TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
:evil:-[COLOR="Red"]Awesome web development for your business[/COLOR].

SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13786
You have just the wedge or is the spring missing?
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 36746
I had the same problem, switched to 3/4 ton chevy brakes via a blackbird customs bracket setup. I could not do anything to keep the caliper on mine. Tried new springs/bars, everything. Got tired of it and changed brake setup
BamaSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWTMECH View Post
You have just the wedge or is the spring missing?
I have both
in fact tried new wedge & spring.
caliper fell off 3 times total
1st in tank trap, wedge was still there, did not falll off
2nd time 2 miles of street right after ttc, wedge gone
3rd time yesterday, wedge still there

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 07-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaSahara View Post
I had the same problem, switched to 3/4 ton chevy brakes via a blackbird customs bracket setup. I could not do anything to keep the caliper on mine. Tried new springs/bars, everything. Got tired of it and changed brake setup
sweet
I will do a search on this
I run 46" claws on 20" rims, brakes are never able to lock up, so maybe I can upgrade at same time?

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 07-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 83837
Can you just change out the caliper hanger for a later model that either uses the single bolt attachment or the rubber wedges?

KyleQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaSahara View Post
DONE!
just called blackbird customs, pair of calipers $140, free shipping
use 3/4 ton chevy calipers.
He told me to check into chevy c30-35 van calipers, might fit & be bigger
thx so much for that answer!
if you ever need a switch panel or electrical parts & I can help, let me know you told me about my brakes & I will return the favor

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 07-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
change these parts

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...09411_0_0_1539

Dana 70 kits $300 -->
. . Sterling 10.25 kits $390 -->

Dana 60 front 3/4 ton kits $295-->
. .
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 97798
Seabass, do you have aftermarket knuckles? I know a guy who put Black Bird stuff on a HP60 with Reid knuckles, and had to clearance the knuckles so he could get the caliper on.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 130521
There should still be a bolt that holds the H-bracket in place? It keeps the H-bracket from falling off. Or am I missing something here?
I ended up welding a piece of metal on the H-bracket, that surrounded the bolt circumference completely, and haven't had a issue since.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GubNi View Post
as posted
i done that
new calipers, loaded with all new hardware, problem is sloppy

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 53344
Could you make an H bracket that then ends wrap around the ends of the wedge with a hole in the middle. drill and tap a hole in the caliper bracket. Bolt H bracket to caliper.
PureFunction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 65168
I fought this same problem for a long time on a F-700. Same concept, just a little larger.

Anywho, NAPA sells a kit to shim the bottom of the caliper. There is actually a ford spec where you assemble everything and use a feeler gauge to determine the play in the caliper, the amount of play determines the thickness of the shim.
matty_fly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4e350 View Post
There should still be a bolt that holds the H-bracket in place? It keeps the H-bracket from falling off. Or am I missing something here?
I ended up welding a piece of metal on the H-bracket, that surrounded the bolt circumference completely, and haven't had a issue since.
had caliper fall off & H-bracket stay on, so that won't help in this case

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureFunction View Post
Could you make an H bracket that then ends wrap around the ends of the wedge with a hole in the middle. drill and tap a hole in the caliper bracket. Bolt H bracket to caliper.
might work, but rather then make bandaids I bought the GM brackets
BUT thanks for the sugestion!
brakes really are #1
#2 is a fire ext, don't wait till your rig burns down

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 65168
Quote:
Originally Posted by GubNi View Post
In my case, that didn't work, I had new calipers, new springs, new everything, the actual knuckle where the caliper sits on the bottom wears, or possible isn't machined to a tight enough tolerance to begin with, seeing as how my truck only had 40k on it.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 85036
The Chevy brakes will not stop your rig better than Fords big twin piston stuff. The newer ford D60's utilize a different caliper mount that bolts the caliper in. I have a set. IMHO I think you went the wrong direction to brake that rig on big tars.

I swapped to the ford twin piston calipers from the chevy stuff up front on a five lug hybrid 609 and the braking improved big time. I moved the chevy stuff to the rear to replace drums. Best braking ever on my rig.
Blown349 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown349 View Post
The Chevy brakes will not stop your rig better than Fords big twin piston stuff. The newer ford D60's utilize a different caliper mount that bolts the caliper in. I have a set. IMHO I think you went the wrong direction to brake that rig on big tars.

I swapped to the ford twin piston calipers from the chevy stuff up front on a five lug hybrid 609 and the braking improved big time. I moved the chevy stuff to the rear to replace drums. Best braking ever on my rig.
well what year?
where do I get them?
place I ordered from is trying to see if the P30 chevy van calipers will fit
guess that is a 1 ton
I just want this fixed

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 07-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 65168
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_fly View Post
I fought this same problem for a long time on a F-700. Same concept, just a little larger.

Anywho, NAPA sells a kit to shim the bottom of the caliper. There is actually a ford spec where you assemble everything and use a feeler gauge to determine the play in the caliper, the amount of play determines the thickness of the shim.
Seriously, this fixes it for like 12 bucks
Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
also. if I'm not mistaken, don't chevy dana 60's use the exact same caliper mounting setup as a ford 60?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 99437
Send a message via Yahoo to CTD NUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_fly View Post
Seriously, this fixes it for like 12 bucks
Can you provide anymore info on how to source/order these shim kits from NAPA?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20053
What ever route you take i would keep the big brakes vs the GM 3/4 ton stuff.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 40567
Send a message via AIM to 1TONZR2
dammit, Matt beat me to it. I had the same problem with my ford calipers, except they were originals (as far as I could tell)..replaced the hardward a couple of times, added "shims", re-bent the springs so they were arched more, added some weld to the mount....after a few trips the caliper still came off. in the end, I ended up having to replace the knuckles (broke factory ford stuff, again...imagine that) with some badass units from Solid, at the same time I figured it was time to replace the brakes. I ordered the stuff from Blackbird and installed the chevy brakes. my rig actually stops better with them, but then again I had original factory calipers on the front. the chevy stuff fits fine with the Solid knuckles, only thing I had to do was get a new banjo bolt for the caliper/AN braided line.

Brian
96 ZR2 HP60,14B, 5.13s,locked ,F/R tri'ed 4 link,16" SAW COs and 4" SAW bumps front, 16" ORIs rear,RCI fuel cell, Truggied out, 42" PitBull Rockers & TR beadlocks, 5.3L Vortec w/LS6 cam/springs, 231/205 doubler, 1410s, 9.5ti

Over the Top Offroad

1TONZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 65168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
Can you provide anymore info on how to source/order these shim kits from NAPA?
i went into my store and we found them in a paper catalog. if you have problems at your store, I can probably stop in and get parts numbers on saturday.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TONZR2 View Post
dammit, Matt beat me to it. I had the same problem with my ford calipers, except they were originals (as far as I could tell)..replaced the hardward a couple of times, added "shims", re-bent the springs so they were arched more, added some weld to the mount....after a few trips the caliper still came off. in the end, I ended up having to replace the knuckles (broke factory ford stuff, again...imagine that) with some badass units from Solid, at the same time I figured it was time to replace the brakes. I ordered the stuff from Blackbird and installed the chevy brakes. my rig actually stops better with them, but then again I had original factory calipers on the front. the chevy stuff fits fine with the Solid knuckles, only thing I had to do was get a new banjo bolt for the caliper/AN braided line.

Brian
sweet!
black bird is helping me out with testing out the P30 1 ton chevy van cliper
he has also made a dual piston rear 14 bolt setup, I may be upgrading to that also
anyone needing brake stuff should call him, soulds like one of us, great to work with, very sharp guy

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
I had a Ford 60 caliper fall off too and drove 200 miles with a bungee cord holding it on. I pry the H ends open so they dont wiggle out. The caliper brackets look worn where the H part rides so I got a better set of stock brackets to put on if I ever get the motor swap done. Next time the caliper falls off, I will swap to Chev outers.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in