Pirate 4x4 banner

keep breaking u-joints

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  bigford 
#1 ·
I have a front 10 bolt on 40" tires, I know it's a bad combo :shaking: but I got the parts for cheap, but I keep breaking axle u-joints. My question is whats a good strong u-joint thats easy on the wallet. Also Napa has a joint for about $30 that's considered "higher strength" but they don't know how much stronger, is it a POS also?

#2 ·
I think you already know the answer.

It is cheaper to just swap a stock D60 in there and drive somewhat easy but alot harder than you ever could with a 10 bolt.

When you are ready to step up to the harder stuff swap in 35 spline stuff and be done.

Look hard enough and you will find a 60 for what you will pay for good joints and replacement shafts for the 10 bolt.

#8 ·
Another option is to take the 40's off and go down to 35-37's. I know you don't like that idea, but stepping up to 40's opens another can of worms. I know because I was there once:homer: I went the front 60 route

Is the front axle an actual GM 10 Bolt, or is it a front 44? You can swap over the calipers and rotors from your current axle to a 60.

Get with BlackBird Customs on for the caliper brackets. Get the front hubs modified as suggested above. Next you have steering to figure out. Its really not that hard or expensive. Then make the front axle adapt to your current suspension and your on the Home stretch.

#10 ·
both, The last 2 I broke didnt even look like I put the axle under stress.

I drive hard but I dont spin the tires over obstacles, I'd like to though.

Im gonna start hunting down a pass drop 60 and do the things listed above. I have a rear 14 bolt waiting for it and I'm hoping that the disk brake conversion that's on my 12 bolt will swap onto the 14 bolt

#11 ·
its a shame we are so far away, ( florida ) a friend is selling a chevy miltary truck complete, engine wont start ( 6.2diesel ) for $2000.00 thats with the d-60 14b 4.56 gears and detroit.

Until you get the 60 axles in there you should put the 40's on the shelf and spin some 35's. You may still have problems though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.