How far can I run my 1350 CV like this? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
How far can I run my 1350 CV like this?

Rig is a 92 wrangler, stock drive train, atlas 4.3, 4.56 gears, and 33" tires.

I've got a bad CV joint in my rear driveline. The U-joints all still had grease but the ball ran out and start dry humping the stud. The stud is a bit raw now, with .003 of a taper from .4995 at the base. The needles look like they got unhappy and took some of their anger out on that stud as well; the stud showing a little galling from the needles. But the needles haven't turned to powder or broken up either.

I've got a run I was really looking forward to going to, same as the rest of the family. But, I don't have the cash and barely have the time to get the shaft rebuilt. I'm looking at upwards of $300-325 by the time it's said and done. Would hate to spend that and discover another issue my once parked jeep now has because I didn't have time to run it on the road first.

So, here's the question. If I just re-lube the inards of the ball, clean up the stud and re-lube that. Re-assemble and "call it good". How likely am I looking at a driveshaft failure in say, 500 miles or so. At least 300 of that at freeway speeds. (Or worse, damage to pinion/tcase output shaft due to play in the CV?)

Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 161201
you can rebuild the joint yourself for a lot less. Ive never had one fail, but i guarentee yours will fail at the most inconvenient time, murphys law i believe.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
It could last 300 miles -or 1,500 miles Really its hard to call - Jess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Also see us on facebook @ High Angle Driveline
530-877-2875
onetoncv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
FWIW, a buddy of mine running one of Jess's 1350 CV's in a worked-over Cummins truck lost the centering ball/stud completely near Pittsburgh, PA...and still made it back home to NJ, about 400 miles. While towing a 10k lbs trailer. It wasn't a fun ride, talkin some phenomenal driveline vibes, but apparently it smoothed out around 50 MPH () and got the truck & trailer home in mostly one piece.

Jess, you might remember that one, my buddy sent it back to you to get rebuilt after that. He's the guy with the diesel Bronco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoncv View Post
It could last 300 miles -or 1,500 miles Really its hard to call - Jess
I was going to re-lube with EP2-Lithium, bad idea?

Was thinking the extra viscosity and tackyness of that crap might help.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
Use cheap grease Travis its not going be a 100,000 miles driveline -Jess

530-877-2875
Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Understand. Was just looking to give the driveline every bit of help it could get.

Depending on around town testing, looking for vibration or noise, and somehighway time if that is succesfull. I may still just pull the rear shaft, flat tow to the trail head, and reinstall on site.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
I understand - The vibs are the warning sign -usually under load , the worse they get as far as time the closer the dooms day - there's a good chance being careful it will survive a little- Jess

530-877-2875
Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 37866
I've also seen them bind up and break off the front of the Transfer case, worth the risk??
Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoncv View Post
I understand - The vibs are the warning sign -usually under load , the worse they get as far as time the closer the dooms day - there's a good chance being careful it will survive a little- Jess
There's been zero vibes when i pulled it. That's the only reason im thinking about running it for one more trip.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
There's been zero vibes when i pulled it. That's the only reason im thinking about running it for one more trip.
When it fails on the highway, spins around, takes out the pinion, exhaust, parking brake cables, bends the shaft beyond repair and then smacks a hole in the bottom of the tub, will it be alright if I get my laugh on? Actually I don't really care if you mind or not, I'm going to anyway.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
When it fails on the highway, spins around, takes out the pinion, exhaust, parking brake cables, bends the shaft beyond repair and then smacks a hole in the bottom of the tub, will it be alright if I get my laugh on? Actually I don't really care if you mind or not, I'm going to anyway.
I'll be more than happy to report back if that happens; and I can laugh at myself about that.

But that's the reason I'm thinking that regardless of how the road test works out, I'm going to flat tow the jeep sans rear driveline to the staging area, right after I've re-packed and checked it again.

But if I get any vibes, popping, or clicking around town, I'm not taking it.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
I'll be more than happy to report back if that happens; and I can laugh at myself about that.

But that's the reason I'm thinking that regardless of how the road test works out, I'm going to flat tow the jeep sans rear driveline to the staging area, right after I've re-packed and checked it again.

But if I get any vibes, popping, or clicking around town, I'm not taking it.
I'm not wishing ill upon you, nor is it really a laughing matter, it's just that I've seen the aftermath of a failed CV joint on the highway and the damage it does is astounding.

The list I put up is not an exaggeration at all. The flailing driveshaft took out the pinion, ripped off both parking brake cables, smeared a hole in the bottom of the tub, and tore up the exhaust before it committed suicide and wadded itself up.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 53344
Just throw a roll of duct tape around it...It'll hold together.
PureFunction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Well, it's toast.

Never even got it back in my jeep. Got it re-assembled tonight and while the squeeking is long gone and it general feels like it moves smoother it's still got a "sticky" spot where it feels like it is binding up on one axis, and I can feel just a bit of the same on the other axis while moving the CV joint on my bench.

Also, one of the U-joint caps practically fell in to the hole on the H.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 145218
bummer I was hoping for a good report , because I have the same problem with my front drive shaft
johny5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in